FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Code? Gibberish?
plantsower #34019 04/27/15 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK. So, then are you saying I will have to try something else like Thunderbird to see if it happens in both. Then I can tell it's the ISP's fault for my iMap problems? And what about the fact that sometimes it happens at the Yahoo Mail website page and sometimes not even though the mail program shows gibberish? I need ammo before I go in with guns blazing (nicely of course).

You will need ammo. I don't know what your ISP's knowledge of anything Apple is but the odds are they know Windows and maybe some direct of Unix but Apple is a foreign language. It is always easier to blame the one you know the least about. This is the standard response in virtually every realm of human endeavor. It is a corollary of what the early Calvinists (that is the Calvinists not John Calvin himself) termed Total Depravity. No matter that you call it, it is human nature.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #34020 04/28/15 02:22 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
FWIW: Just a note on (and recommendation of) Mozilla's Thunderbird ...

Ever since the browser and email client combo named Mozilla was split into two — Firefox and Thunderbird, respectively — I've been using both. Thunderbird can 'incorporate' any other email clients being used; I happen to have 3. It all works as slick as you-know-what through a goose.

I don't know if it will make a difference but I am trying it as an experiment. I do have a little learning curve. I downloaded Thunderbird and put my email addresses in it. I don't want it to be my default email program but it said I couldn't change it from inside Thunderbird. I will have to see how to change it back to Mac Mail because that's what I prefer. I just want to check my gibberish emails on Thunderbird to see if there is a difference when it happens again. Thanks for the idea.

The guy at Apple told me my mail would go onto both mail programs and I could pick which one I would read from then it would automatically be deleted from both when I deleted my mail. That hasn't been the case. It's all going into Thunderbird at the moment which I'm not to happy about.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #34021 04/28/15 02:24 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
OK. So, then are you saying I will have to try something else like Thunderbird to see if it happens in both. Then I can tell it's the ISP's fault for my iMap problems? And what about the fact that sometimes it happens at the Yahoo Mail website page and sometimes not even though the mail program shows gibberish? I need ammo before I go in with guns blazing (nicely of course).

You will need ammo. I don't know what your ISP's knowledge of anything Apple is but the odds are they know Windows and maybe some direct of Unix but Apple is a foreign language. It is always easier to blame the one you know the least about. This is the standard response in virtually every realm of human endeavor. It is a corollary of what the early Calvinists (that is the Calvinists not John Calvin himself) termed Total Depravity. No matter that you call it, it is human nature.

I know what you mean. I've been batted like a ping pong ball from company to company when I have electronic problems. That's why the last time I bought a TV, I bought the sound bar and DVD by the same company so they couldn't send me elsewhere when I needed help. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34023 04/28/15 02:51 AM
OP Offline

Okay, I made my Apple (Mac) mail the default by going into my mail program. Whew! I wish my mail would go into both programs at once, though. I guess maybe that's not possible. I can't understand why an Apple Mail tech expert would tell me that it would. confused

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34025 04/28/15 08:37 AM

I wish my mail would go into both programs at once, though. I guess maybe that's not possible. I can't understand why an Apple Mail tech expert would tell me that it would. confused

Thunderbird — once you've instructed it to do so — only 'taps into' your other email clients and displays your messages, all of which remain on the original servers. The option does exist to delete the messages from the original servers, but you have to select that option (ie, it's not a default). [FYI, just to be on the safe side (as 'backup'), I leave all messages on the original servers and then every so often I log into the them to delete messages I have no use for.]

grelber #34028 04/28/15 04:42 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
I wish my mail would go into both programs at once, though. I guess maybe that's not possible. I can't understand why an Apple Mail tech expert would tell me that it would. confused

Thunderbird — once you've instructed it to do so — only 'taps into' your other email clients and displays your messages, all of which remain on the original servers. The option does exist to delete the messages from the original servers, but you have to select that option (ie, it's not a default). [FYI, just to be on the safe side (as 'backup'), I leave all messages on the original servers and then every so often I log into the them to delete messages I have no use for.]

Hi:
I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "taps into your other mail clients." I know how to keep it on the server and then remove it. But, I'm not sure what you mean, because when I had Thunderbird up and running, all my mail went into it rather than Thunderbird AND Mail which is what I wanted. Also, in Thunderbird I can barely read the inbox as the letters are so small. I tried downloading the add-on that increase font size but got the message that Safari couldn't open it. Then I downloaded it with Firefox but I don't really like Firefox either. What to do?

I only really want Thunderbird to see if when I get a "gibberish" message in Mail to check and see if it's the Mail program or something else. Honestly, it's not that important. I'm kinda tired of it all. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34029 04/28/15 06:21 PM

Okay, I made my Apple (Mac) mail the default by going into my mail program. Whew! I wish my mail would go into both programs at once, though. I guess maybe that's not possible. I can't understand why an Apple Mail tech expert would tell me that it would. confused

The tech told you that because if you have a properly behaving IMAP account and your client application(s) are properly configured for IMAP you should see all the emails on any number of email client applications on any number of computers and/or devices. I can even delete the account in Mail on OS X or iOS and when I set the account up again, voilá there are all the messages and folders just as they had been before I deleted the account. They are not stored on the computer rather they are resident on the IMAP server.

I have both Apple Mail and Airmail on my Mac as well as Apple Mail on my iPhone and my iPad. I can open all of these clients on all of my devices simultaneously and see my entire email stream on each and every one of them. If I delete a message on say my iPad, after a few seconds to a few minutes the deleted message will disappear on all of the other devices and clients. Conversely if I send a message from say Airmail on my Mac within a few seconds to minutes it will appear in the Sent mailbox in Apple Mail on the Mac and on both the iPad and iPhone. The length of time it takes for a given status change to propagate to all the clients and devices depends on the refresh rate set in the various clients.

If Thunderbird, which is a well known and very reputable email client, is actually capturing all the messages to the exclusion of Mail I can only surmise one of two things is true…
  1. ...either the account is setup in Thunderbird as a POP account
  2. ...or the host is a POP server and not IMAP.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34030 04/28/15 07:17 PM
OP Offline

The tech told you that because if you have a properly behaving IMAP account and your client application(s) are properly configured for IMAP you should see all the emails on any number of email client applications on any number of computers and/or devices. I can even delete the account in Mail on OS X or iOS and when I set the account up again, voilá there are all the messages and folders just as they had been before I deleted the account. They are not stored on the computer rather they are resident on the IMAP server.

I have both Apple Mail and Airmail on my Mac as well as Apple Mail on my iPhone and my iPad. I can open all of these clients on all of my devices simultaneously and see my entire email stream on each and every one of them. If I delete a message on say my iPad, after a few seconds to a few minutes the deleted message will disappear on all of the other devices and clients. Conversely if I send a message from say Airmail on my Mac within a few seconds to minutes it will appear in the Sent mailbox in Apple Mail on the Mac and on both the iPad and iPhone. The length of time it takes for a given status change to propagate to all the clients and devices depends on the refresh rate set in the various clients.

If Thunderbird, which is a well known and very reputable email client, is actually capturing all the messages to the exclusion of Mail I can only surmise one of two things is true…

OK, good to know. I thought I made sure it was iMap and not POP but I could be wrong. Once I figure out how to enlarge the font on the inbox message subject lines in T-bird (I hope I said that correctly), I may try again. I can't deal with the small font.

Thanks, JoeMikeb

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #34031 04/28/15 07:18 PM
OP Offline

Oh, one more thing. If it shows up in all the email clients, what's the point of having one as the default? Thanks.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34034 04/28/15 08:37 PM

Oh, one more thing. If it shows up in all the email clients, what's the point of having one as the default? Thanks.

Rita

The default client is the one that will launch if you click on an email address or email link pretty much anywhere in OS X. It is just like having a default application for a file.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34035 04/28/15 08:44 PM
OP Offline

Rita

The default client is the one that will launch if you click on an email address or email link pretty much anywhere in OS X. It is just like having a default application for a file.

OK, Duh! I wasn't thinking. blush Thanks.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #34042 04/29/15 01:14 AM
OP Offline

Rita

I just got an email that was a mess in Mail but the same email was fine in Thunderbird! So, it's got to be an Apple Mail problem, right?

Rita

Last edited by plantsower; 04/29/15 01:14 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34046 04/29/15 12:50 PM

I just got an email that was a mess in Mail but the same email was fine in Thunderbird! So, it's got to be an Apple Mail problem, right?

Yes and no. Yes there is something in the message that is causing Mail's MIME decoder to fail to function and no there should not be anything in the received message that would cause the failure. As I said previously that was a problem for a while, but it was fixed. In this case it probably is something with your individual installation.

Your signature block indicates you are running Mavericks and Mountain Lion. Is this occurring in both OS versions or just one and if so which one?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34051 04/29/15 05:22 PM
OP Offline

Yes and no. Yes there is something in the message that is causing Mail's MIME decoder to fail to function and no there should not be anything in the received message that would cause the failure. As I said previously that was a problem for a while, but it was fixed. In this case it probably is something with your individual installation.

Your signature block indicates you are running Mavericks and Mountain Lion. Is this occurring in both OS versions or just one and if so which one?

Mountain Lion is just on my external hard drive if I need it. The problem is on Mavericks which is on my internal hard drive. Could it be my installation after all this time? I've never had a problem before this. I've had Mavericks almost ever since it came out.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34053 04/29/15 08:34 PM

The problem is on Mavericks which is on my internal hard drive. Could it be my installation after all this time? I've never had a problem before this. I've had Mavericks almost ever since it came out.

Reinstalling Mavericks would not hurt, but it would be equally easy and cost exactly the same to go ahead and upgrade to Yosemite while you are at it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34054 04/29/15 09:02 PM
OP Offline

Reinstalling Mavericks would not hurt, but it would be equally easy and cost exactly the same to go ahead and upgrade to Yosemite while you are at it. [/quote]

Yeah, I don't want Yosemite!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34055 04/29/15 09:04 PM

Quote:

smile

Edit: Better idea! Try re-running the OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo); it's a tried and true troubleshooting technique...particularly when nothing else has worked.

Last edited by artie505; 04/29/15 10:05 PM. Reason: Better idea!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34060 04/30/15 12:39 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Quote:

smile

Edit: Better idea! Try re-running the OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo); it's a tried and true troubleshooting technique...particularly when nothing else has worked.

That's a good idea. Maybe I will do that once a day.

Thanks, Artie. It's such a mystery why this is happening.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34061 04/30/15 12:48 AM

Have you had your MBP's chart done by a good astrologer? tongue

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34062 04/30/15 12:53 AM
OP Offline

No. LOL! But, maybe I should get an exorcist. tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #34086 05/02/15 04:46 PM
OP Offline

Quote:

smile

I just saw this post. Sorry, late. I don't want to update. It seems every time I do, I lose a feature I like. I know maybe the security wouldn't be as good, but hey, you use Snowy!!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34088 05/02/15 07:49 PM

Quote:

smile

I just saw this post. Sorry, late. I don't want to update. It seems every time I do, I lose a feature I like. I know maybe the security wouldn't be as good, but hey, you use Snowy!!

Actually, you already replied to my post in post #34060, Rita.

But I didn't suggest updating...merely re-runing the OS X 10.9.4 Combo, which, as per your sig, you've already run.

Last edited by artie505; 05/02/15 08:17 PM. Reason: Make more colorful

artie505 #34090 05/02/15 08:31 PM
OP Offline

Quote:

smile

Actually, you already replied to my post in post #34060, Rita.

But I didn't suggest updating...merely re-runing the OS X 10.9.4 Combo, which, as per your sig, you've already run.

Oh man, I must have been spaced. When I said I should do that once a day, I meant using mountain lion off my external drive to check things. Anyway, how do I re-run Mavericks? I don't know what the means. Thanks. I still think it's weird that Thunderbird opens things fine and Mail does not always. It sounds so much like a mail problem. Tell me how to re-run and I will see if that works. Maybe there is some corruption (you know, like in the gov't.) smile

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #34091 05/02/15 09:31 PM

smile

Just follow the link to the Combo that I posted, and run it, same as if it came from the App Store (like you probably did the first time).

Be sure to check Software Update (or its current equivalent) afterwards.

artie505 #34092 05/02/15 11:28 PM
OP Offline

smile

Just follow the link to the Combo that I posted, and run it, same as if it came from the App Store (like you probably did the first time).

Be sure to check Software Update (or its current equivalent) afterwards.

OK, I'm running the update combo at this moment. What happens to the original update combo from before? I may not update because of what I said before that I lose certain functions that they take away. Thanks Artie.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard