for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No Airtunes
#33893 04/18/15 08:06 PM
OP Online

My 1st Generation AirPort Express (802.11n) Base Station works fine when I'm in Snowy, but when I boot into Yosemite, although my Internet still works, AirTunes stops working, and AirPort Utility can't locate my APE.

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I'm running iTunes 8.2.1 in Yosemite...from my desktop, because OS X won't let me make any changes to /Applications.

I prefer not to reset my APE from Yosemite, because I'm almost always in Snowy, and I don't know if a reset would affect my regular connection.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: No Airtunes
artie505 #33907 04/20/15 08:00 PM

without knowing for certain, I would speculate it's not compatible. They went through a few generations of airport management apps.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #33910 04/20/15 08:35 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
without knowing for certain, I would speculate it's not compatible. They went through a few generations of airport management apps.

Sorry, but what's not compatible with what?

Are you saying that my Base Station is obsolete as respects Yosemite?

OK... Idea! I'm going to take an (even) older - non-"n" - AirPort Express out of its penultimate resting place and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks!

More later.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #33914 04/21/15 11:54 AM

sorry I meant to be more specific, the ability to make changes to the airport is restricted. You can't use the "second generation" airport utility to make changes to the "first generation" airports.

I don't know what wireless protocols OS X has depreciated or when. I believe A was dropped and B was on the way out the door last I looked. G should still be good, and N/E are of course still supported.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #33915 04/21/15 04:27 PM

The protocols supported by the currently shipping Apple Airport devices are IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac2. 802.11 is a physical layer protocol negotiated between hardware devices and theoretically is supposed to settle on the highest level held in common between two devices. If you look at the supported 802.11 protocols in MacTracker or from Apple, they list only the highest level protocol supported. Therefore it is no surprise there is no reference to the 802.11 protocol in Airport Utility.

According to MacTracker the only Airport device to support Airplay is the Airport Express. MacTracker does not list any Airport Base Station, Airport Extreme, or Time Capsule as supporting Airplay.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #33918 04/22/15 06:50 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: V1
...the ability to make changes to the airport is restricted. You can't use the "second generation" airport utility to make changes to the "first generation" airports.

That's what I've run into. mad

As Apple updates AirPort Utility they drop support for devices, without any notification of which I'm aware, and all of a sudden your base station becomes unrecognizable, and, in the instance of AirPort Express Base Stations, AirPlay/AirTunes and, I assume, wireless printing stop working...apparently inexplicably.

This Apple doc details which AirPort devices are compatible with which versions of AirPort Utility, and I assume that my 1st Generation AirPort Express (802.11n) Base Station will no longer be on the list if Apple ever gets around to updating it for Yosemite.

Googling around, I found AirPort Utility 5.6.1 on OS X 10.10 Yosemite (more here ), but I haven't gotten it to work yet. frown confused

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard