Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do you use Automator?
#33794 04/11/15 05:38 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

If so, for what?

I feel the way I used to feel, or still do, about Applescript, or tools at the hardware store: Very cool, but how can I use it in my routine?

Re: Do you use Automator?
deniro #33796 04/11/15 06:35 PM

I use it along with some Apple Script to automate the process of scanning the two sides of a check to be deposited, OCRing the scans, naming the files so they can be identified, and moving the scans to a folder for the current month of the current year. There are other ways I could do that, but my Automator + Apple Script workflow reduces it to a single step for me. I have other workflows that I use on occasion, mostly to organize and move files or scans. I have even replaced one or two simple (and I mean SIMPLE) app store apps with workflows. Not that the apps were not doing the job, more that it was an interesting exercise to create the workflow and in one case the app that was replaced simply did not do everything I wanted it to.

I could live without Automator and not miss it, but I use several third party utilities that are based on Apple Script that I find invaluable. I keep telling myself that one of these days I am going to have to get serious about learning Apple Script and creating my own utilities.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Do you use Automator?
deniro #33798 04/11/15 10:15 PM

I don’t usually create scripts or Automator workflows from scratch, but look for or come across them on the web, and incorporate them to address a need I have. Occasionally some fine tuning is necessary to fit my specific circumstances. Most recently I have used Automator to replace some contextual menus I regularly used in older Mac OS X versions with Services that do the same in Yosemite. Examples: copy the path of a selected file/folder to the clipboard, or make an encrypted disk image of selected files/folders. Really smalltime stuff, but handy.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard