for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Delete iPhoto & Library OK?
#33771 04/10/15 10:23 AM
OP Offline

With 10.10.3, I now have two photo applications and two photo libraries.

I am certain that the new Photos has migrated/incorporated the old iPhotos data. A check of the new Photos Library confirmed that to be the case.

Ergo, can I delete the “old” iPhoto app and library? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Delete iPhoto & Library OK?
Pendragon #33772 04/10/15 11:43 AM

I can't answer your question directly (I don't use either app) but Fix Photos unable to migrate your photo library
may have some useful information.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Pendragon #33773 04/10/15 03:46 PM

I can answer the question directly and the answer is iffy…
  • IF in Photos > Preferences > General the item labeled "Copy items to the Photos Library" was checked (it is checked by default) when you imported the images into the Photos library you should no have a copy of the images in the original location/library and in the Photos library.
  • IF you want to be sure all the mages have been copied into the Photos library
    1. Be sure Photos > Preferences > General the item labeled "Copy items to the Photos Library" is checked
    2. One at a time import each of the other libraries into Photos
    3. Photos will not copy images that are already in the Photos library but will display a list of items that are not in the Photos library and allow you to selectively import some or all of the images that would be new to the Photos library
  • IF Photos > Preferences > "Copy items to the Photos Library" was NOT checked when you created the Photos Library select the files you want to import into the Photos Library then on the Photos File menu choose "Consolidate" which will then copy the images into the Photos Library.
  • WHEN you are comfortable that all the images have been copied into the Photos library you can delete the other images. (NOTE: as a belt and suspenders measure I renamed and moved the other libraries until I was very sure everything was safely in Photos before deleting the other libraries.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/10/15 03:47 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33774 04/10/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
IF in Photos > Preferences > General the item labeled "Copy items to the Photos Library" was checked (it is checked by default) when you imported the images into the Photos library you should no have a copy of the images in the original location/library and in the Photos library.

Kind of a critical typo: "no have a copy…". That should be "now have…" as opposed to "not have…". Right?

If you look in the location (by default in the home folder "Pictures") of the original iPhotos Library, you will see it renamed "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary; there will also be a new file "Photos Library.photoslibrary". Mine are both the same size (within 0.04 GB; Photos is larger).

Last edited by Ira L; 04/10/15 04:43 PM.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #33775 04/10/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Kind of a critical typo: "no have a copy…". That should be "now have…" as opposed to "not have…". Right?

Right blush

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #33777 04/10/15 05:26 PM
OP Offline

For me, things worked as divined (or so I think). My Photos preference was set to copy the contents of the iPhoto Library and that's what happened. I (even) compared the number of photos in each library and that was identical, so I'm quite sure the libraries are duplicates.

Where (I guess) things get sticky is when one has several iPhoto libraries that are located virtually anywhere, on any volume/device, and with any name.

Now, I'll proceed with deleting the old iPhone app and Library. And will, for sure, holler up if I have borked things.

But in any event, thanks to all for the words of wisdom! T'was greatly appreciated. grin

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #33779 04/10/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
then on the Photos File menu choose "Consolidate" which will then copy the images into the Photos Library.

huh. I didn't realize iPhoto had that. I've known about it in iTunes for awhile tho.

I've seen several people lose music because they had disabled the box to import drops, and then throw away (or move, and then much later, throw away) the originals and wonder why tracks went grey.

In iPhoto, the problem is a bit more insidious, the thumbs remain, but you get a big black box with a "?" in the middle if you try to view it full screen. Makes it difficult to identify what's missing.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #33782 04/10/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
huh. I didn't realize iPhoto had that. I've known about it in iTunes for awhile tho.

Just as an aside I have noticed that several of the Photos Help pages are labeled iPhoto and not Photos.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/10/15 10:32 PM.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard