FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OS after Yosemite?
#33727 04/07/15 11:04 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this post, but it's not a troubleshooting question.

I have not read anything about a post-Yosemite OS. Apple has been releasing one per year for awhile. Has anyone heard any rumors or, maybe, can tell us something that they know?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: OS after Yosemite?
jchuzi #33728 04/07/15 11:11 PM

I dunno nothin', but based on my impression of Yosemite so far, I think San Andreas Fault might be an appropriate "alias" for the next version of OS X. wink grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #33729 04/07/15 11:16 PM

Are you kidding?!
From everything I've read in these forums about Yosemite, it's well and truly a bomb. Apple needs to sort out and fix its foibles before even thinking of a new OS iteration.
Small wonder that cogniscenti are sticking with tried and true and stable version introduced years ago.

grelber #33730 04/07/15 11:21 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I was really sorry to let go of Snow Leopard, but Yosemite (so far) has not been a problem for me. There are a few things that I had to get used to, but I haven't had any nasty surprises (knock wood!).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #33731 04/07/15 11:53 PM

I was really unhappy to find that TurboTax had dropped support for Snowy and that I'd have to upgrade, but it's a spare partition that I'll use to prepare a coupl'a tax returns and mostly ignore afterwards, so I'm still firmly and happily entrenched in Snowy. smile smile smile

I'll admit, though, that being forced to at least get my feet wet in Yosemite will be helpful down the road...ease the shock of transition when I buy my next Mac...hopefully MANY years from now. [fingers crossed]

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #33734 04/08/15 09:21 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

One of the reasons that I bought a new Mac was the thought that, in the not-too-distant future, it might not be possible to migrate to, say, OS 10.42 mad In compensation for my trouble, my new iMac is quite a machine. Among other things, it cold boots in less than 15 seconds.

As the saying goes: "When rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

Jon

jchuzi #33735 04/08/15 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
One of the reasons that I bought a new Mac was the thought that, in the not-too-distant future, it might not be possible to migrate to, say, OS 10.42 mad In compensation for my trouble, my new iMac is quite a machine. Among other things, it cold boots in less than 15 seconds.

That's an interesting thought, but it won't sway me.

Maybe it's because it's on my fourth partition, but I'm finding Yosemite taking on the order of twice as long to boot as Snowy on my first partition.

(You crossed the line into dangerous territory, Jon; you may remember that Tex Antoine didn't fare at all well there.)

Last edited by artie505; 04/08/15 11:05 AM. Reason: Remove quote/Clarify

artie505 #33736 04/08/15 11:32 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I think that my iMac boots so fast because it uses a fusion drive, not because Yosemite is responsible. I wasn't referring to Tex Antoine. My father used to use that saying, and as a non-sexual metaphor.

Jon

jchuzi #33739 04/08/15 04:32 PM

I won’t tell you much news that based on previous occasions, an announcement about Mac OS X 10.11 is to be expected during WWDC 2015, probably from June 8-12. Until then, only feature wish lists are going around (see link above); the announcement will be the first reliable indication of what’s true and what not. As before, the name of the new OS might be gleaned from banners put up at the Moscone Center in the week(s) leading up to the event. Of course, that won’t stop people from guessing.

alternaut moderator
grelber #33742 04/08/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Are you kidding?!
From everything I've read in these forums about Yosemite, it's well and truly a bomb. Apple needs to sort out and fix its foibles before even thinking of a new OS iteration.
Small wonder that cogniscenti are sticking with tried and true and stable version introduced years ago.

My experience with Yosemite is very different. Yosemite does take somewhat longer to boot but that is because the POST is performing a lot more tests and some of the features introduced in Mavericks take a bit more processing to setup , there are more security features in Yosemite that take some getting used to, and like every other version of OS X since the Public Beta there have been issues with some third party applications going out of date. Beyond that most of the complaints about Yosemite are from users who have been clinging to older versions of OS X for one reason or another and on upgrading to Yosemite find themselves faced with an accumulation of changes, as well as third party and Apple application incompatibilities. Admittedly there were are few glitches with the public beta and there are a few with the 10.10.3 public beta but that is why Apple has been having public betas. But given the almost infinite variety of applications, drivers. and hardware configurations it is financially, physically, and temporally impossible for Apple to test every possible configuration. Public betas afford a broader base for testing than any software developer can do on their own. As a software engineer, including a stint at Microsoft, I fought that battle for over thirty years, so I am in a position to know whereof I speak.

Speaking of Microsoft, which I prefer to think of as a four letter word, their drive to retain backward capability no matter what is epitomized in Windows. As far as I know there is still bits of code in Windows that was written by summer hire interns 45 or 50 years ago that was undocumented and no one can figure out how or why they work but they do work so Microsoft leaves the code in even if it takes even more code to integrate into the current Windows OS.

I am a chronic "early adopter" and beta tester so that colors my viewpoint, but I have had zero issues with released versions of Yosemite (not so much with some of the public beta releases). I got bored the other day and spent some time browsing Apple's Yosemite Discussion and the problems peopled were asking for help with were very mundane. The most common complaints being (in no particular order) the user not liking the appearance of the new GUI; problems caused by out of date third party kernel extensions, launch daemons, launch Agents; and MacKeeper. Let I overlook something, there were a couple of complaints that Yosemite would not run Power PC apps. I did see some posts to the effect "everyone knows Yosemite is a disaster so how do I get Snow Leopard to run on my brand new MacBook Pro" but they had no specific complaint beyond everyone knows….

Personally I am expecting the new OS X 10.11 announcement probably in June.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33743 04/08/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Yosemite does take somewhat longer to boot…
That depends on the hardware used; my retina iMac boots as fasts as Jon’s, and it never had to boot anything pre-Yosemite. But for pre-Yosemite hardware the statement may be correct. smirk

This brings up the issue of new hardware to accompany a new OS version (or the other way around, if you prefer). As others have said, Yosemite doesn’t look ‘all that bad’ on a retina screen, AFAIAC to the contrary in fact. It seems that the most negative comments on Yo’s appearance come from users with non-retina screens, and I must admit that they do have a point. To some extent this may also apply to various other aspects of the OS.
In addition to fusion drives or SSDs to speed up things like booting, the same goes for CPU and GPU ’oomph’ and plenty of RAM with regular tasks (not that the drives are quiescent then). My currently top model iMac should respond well to my rather mundane demands. Let’s see how it’ll perform with Mac OS X 10.42 indeed! shocked

That said, some others aren’t quite that impressed. My son didn’t want to upgrade his 2013 iMac for the retina version, because it too apparently runs too hot composing and running 4K (and-up) time lapse movies, causing the CPU/GPU to autoswitch down. Looks like it’s Pro time for him and his multi-K buddies. But as long as my iMac outruns its own exhaust quite handily, you won’t hear me complain too much. grin

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33745 04/08/15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Yosemite does take somewhat longer to boot…
That depends on the hardware used; my retina iMac boots as fasts as Jon’s, and it never had to boot anything pre-Yosemite. But for pre-Yosemite hardware the statement may be correct. smirk

I started to mention the fusion drive boost, but decided to let it go. I have a rather ancient Mac mini that was pretty doggy with Yosemite until I upgraded the HD to a 7,200 RPM 1 TB drive and it is now perfectly acceptable.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
This brings up the issue of new hardware to accompany a new OS version (or the other way around, if you prefer). As others have said, Yosemite doesn’t look ‘all that bad’ on a retina screen, AFAIAC to the contrary in fact. It seems that the most negative comments on Yo’s appearance come from users with non-retina screens, and I must admit that they do have a point. To some extent this may also apply to various other aspects of the OS.
In addition to fusion drives or SSDs to speed up things like booting, the same goes for CPU and GPU ’oomph’ and plenty of RAM with regular tasks (not that the drives are quiescent then). My currently top model iMac should respond well to my rather mundane demands. Let’s see how it’ll perform with Mac OS X 10.42 indeed! shocked

I can't comment on retina vs regular screen but my Mac mini has a quad core i7 and I almost never see one of them hitting 100%, much less all four and memory pressure remains low to moderate.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard