for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I just love this one!
#33597 03/29/15 09:19 PM
OP Online

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: I just love this one!
artie505 #33601 03/29/15 10:30 PM

Since the U.S. is already shipping arms to Mexico to aid in their battle against the drug cartels, I would imagine Washington would welcome Chechnya's aid as well. grin

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33609 03/30/15 02:20 AM

Abdurakhmanov’s threat was pure contrary theatre, of course, made by one of Putin’s sycophant lapdogs, who got ‘reprimanded’ for it in turn by the boss. I suspect (purely as a thought experiment), should the US want help in providing weapons to Mexico, being publicly against it would go much farther in gaining Russia’s support. But, remaining contrary, in the end that support would likely be verbal only.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #33624 03/31/15 01:14 AM

Here's another one you might like: Russian defense magazine VPK News just published an article by Konstantin Sivkov about options to destroy the US by triggering geological disasters like tsunamis and the Yellowstone Supervolcano, using special nukes. One of the subheadings: ‘Apocalypse - simply and inexpensively’.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33625 03/31/15 01:24 AM
OP Online

Just as long as they don't ship the technology to Mexico!

(Is there an English translation for your linked article?)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #33634 03/31/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Here's another one you might like: Russian defense magazine VPK News just published an article by Konstantin Sivkov about options to destroy the US by triggering geological disasters like tsunamis and the Yellowstone Supervolcano, using special nukes. One of the subheadings: ‘Apocalypse - simply and inexpensively’.

while there's no precedence on being able to trigger an eruption that would be more damaging than the nuke was, the tsunami thing isn't terribly effective. It only goes a few miles inland and could have consequences to populations on other continents. The nuke would do more damage on land than it would by causing a tsunami.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #33635 03/31/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
(Is there an English translation for your linked article?)

Try Translate Safari Extension or Franker for in-line translation. Of course, Google Translate will do the same with a little bit more work. There are better quality browser translation options, but those are not free.

alternaut moderator
Virtual1 #33636 03/31/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
The nuke would do more damage on land than it would by causing a tsunami.

I’m not arguing the point, but wouldn’t you need a boatload of nukes to mimic a decent tsunami? Anyway, just read the article and think ‘force multiplier’. tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33637 03/31/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
The nuke would do more damage on land than it would by causing a tsunami.

I’m not arguing the point, but wouldn’t you need a boatload of nukes to mimic a decent tsunami? Anyway, just read the article and think ‘force multiplier’. tongue

Well, a tsunami is already a twofold indirect damager. earthquake or landslide -> displaced water -> tidal wave

A nuke would be better suited to causing a landslide, though it would require the necessary unstable feature in the appropriate location. Attempting to use a nuke in place of an earthquake instead would require significantly more energy in for the amount you'd get out. In the case of the instigated landslide, you're taking advantage of an already existing massive source of energy, far greater than that of the nuke you're going to unleash it with. (getting a few cubic miles of material to shift hundreds of feet under tons of water is very energetic) That's one kind of "force multiplier".

The tsunami itself is an interesting "apparent force multiplier" itself. There's an "amplification effect" with tsunamis. It's not a real amplification but it certainly has the appearance. When a landslide happens a few miles below the surface, it may only cause a wave a few inches to a few feet on the surface. But remember, that's lifting a column of water that's miles high, it's an enormous mass to be lifting, even if only a few feet. It embodies a huge amount of energy.

When that wave travels, as it approaches land, the column height is shorter and shorter. The energy remains the same. (waves are very efficient at transmitting energy in water) So the wave gets higher. This keeps up until it hits land. That's why you can start with a wave a few feet high and a few dozen feet across in the middle of the ocean and end up with a 25 foot tall wall of water for a mile back by the time it hits landfall.

Experienced sailors can sometimes recognize these "rogue waves" as tsunamis, and that's the basis of the tsunami warning systems, they're floats that measure small coordinated waves to help identify tsunamis and provide advance warning. (often an hour or more) Imagine being able to predict a tornado or an earthquake an hour before it gets to you.

Though one quality of a tsunami that's impossible to appreciate without watching the video is the [i]withdrawl[i] phase. All that water comes in, maybe 3-5 ft high, but may got a mile inland. It's actually accounts for a small percentage of the end damage that's going to be caused. Once inland, it breaks up stuff, floats and picks up debris, and then it heads back out to sea. This debris is effectively a mudslide, and can do a lot more damage, break up a lot more stuff to increase its volume, and easily take someone that was floating harmlessly in the water miles out to sea to drown. (making matters worse, there's often more than one of them, it's a bit like aftershocks for an earthquake, so just when you're rushing in to try to help after the withdrawal, another one comes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDpTEjumdo

then check out the wave that comes in at 4:50... just when you thought you had a lot of water coming in, you see THAT wave curling in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAa8BmuPqh8

dry to raging river in 90 seconds... the speed at which these things develop just defies belief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAa8BmuPqh8

Virtual1 #33638 03/31/15 02:34 PM

….while there's no precedence on being able to trigger an eruption that would be more damaging than the nuke was, the tsunami thing isn't terribly effective. It only goes a few miles inland and could have consequences to populations on other continents.

...except that this continent's shorelines are pretty crowded. More than a third of the American population resides in Coastal Shoreline Counties (having a shoreline that borders on open ocean). National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Last edited by ryck; 03/31/15 02:36 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
alternaut #33658 04/01/15 09:13 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the links.

Translate Safari Extension uses Google Translate...

Quote:
Language Translation - Toolbar item to translate the current page via Google Translate.

alternaut #33659 04/01/15 11:28 AM

I can't help but think of Gru's plan to steal the Moon in Despicable Me.

dboh #33673 04/02/15 01:59 AM
OP Online

Or a "Pinky and The Brain" plot?

dboh #33678 04/02/15 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dboh
I can't help but think of Gru's plan to steal the Moon in Despicable Me.

hmmm, same name as the anthropomorphic plant in Guardians of the Galaxy?

no, that was Groot. But close.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/screen_kubrick/0/40/3945379-groottr_1280.jpg.jpg

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard