for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wifi extenders do they work?
kevs #33402 03/11/15 05:07 PM

It sounds as if your extender is not reliably maintaining its connection and is dropping off the network. When that happens, your computer is configured to log onto the network and doesn't care wether it gets the network from the router or extender, its job is to maintain the network connection regardless of the source. When the extender loses its network connection the computer quite correctly reconnects to the strongest signal on the network it can find. Once a network connection is established the computer does not continue to search for alternate sources.

So if your extender is losing its network connection, your computer will automatically seize the signal from the router and when the extender reconnects to the network your computer will not reconnect to it. There is no reason for the computer to look for another network source unless its existing connection to the router fails.

Have made that clear as mud? confused I know what I am thinking, but I'm not sure I am saying it clearly.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/11/15 05:38 PM. Reason: grammar

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33405 03/11/15 05:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I did not connect the dots because sometimes, many times, the dropdown goes to the original source, and then I go back to the dropdown and put it back to extender. AND I DON'T HAVE TO UNPLUG/REPLUG the extender.

But other times, more rare, the extender itself needs a reboot.

They are both hassles, but the 2nd situation is even more of a time drain.

So it's all connected to the same issue.

Don't remember any of this with Apple Extreme/Express, is Apple made better?

Anyway, I can live with it. You probably wold not contact the company D-Link or shop for another brand...I am happy the thing does work....

kevs #33406 03/11/15 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Don't remember any of this with Apple Extreme/Express, is Apple made better?

I don't know that it is a question of one being made better than the other. Rather it is a case of incomplete standards. When the device creating the network and the device extending the network are designed and programmed by the same team (or even use the same firmware) there is going to be a high level of compatibility. But when the device creating the network is made by company A and the extender by company B compatibility relies on thorough, complete, and well understood standards. It wasn't that long ago when 802.11n was an evolving standard and lots of people were building 802.11n devices to what they believed (or hoped) would be adopted as the final standard. If 802.11n network devices were compatible across manufacturers product lines it was the exception rather than the rule. With the adoption of the final IEEE 802.11n standard many of those devices were non-compliant and therefore obsolete because the manufacturer had guessed wrong. (By-the-way, Apple guessed right.) 802.11n devices built since the adoption of the final IEEE standard are pretty generally compatible.

Network extenders appear to be in the pre-final-standard stage today.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/11/15 06:08 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33407 03/11/15 07:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent explanation Joe, thanks again.

So that's why Apple was seamless.

Now I have an ATT/ Arris modem/ Router and they don't make an extender. ok. I could try putting an Apple Extreme/ Express in the mix, but being it would have to originate with the ATT modem, my guess is it would not work fabulously.

Hence, I bear through this imperfect situation, as it does work, though it's a nuisance.

kevs #33409 03/12/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Since they are both the same network there really isn't any way to force which it chooses. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Good advice

Is this normal, and unavoidable on non Apple extenders?

No, not normal with non-Apple extenders. It may be your brand, your setup, your electromagnetic neighborhood. Lots of variables here, as previously described.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #33410 03/12/15 04:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, Well, I could not get a Netgear to work, and their support is abysmal so I returned it.

D link support is better, so at least it works.

What I don't get though, even after Joe's explanation, is that the Extender which sits next to the laptop is ALWAYS stronger by far than the original modem, yet it switches every day back to the modem. Again the modem, is never stronger. And it never switches back to the extender. So that is baffling.

kevs #33415 03/12/15 09:21 PM

What I don't get though, even after Joe's explanation, is that the Extender which sits next to the laptop is ALWAYS stronger by far than the original modem, yet it switches every day back to the modem. Again the modem, is never stronger. And it never switches back to the extender. So that is baffling.

When you say "never" I presume you are using some type of recording signal strength meter that is sampling say 60 times a minute 60 minutes an hour and 24 hours a day? The Netspot app you are using has a minimum scan interval of ten seconds. It only takes a drop out of a second or even less to cause the switch. Is it possible your extender is set to renew its IP address lease from the router every day or your router is set to renew all device IP addresses every 24 hours? That could do it.

As far as switching back to the extender, once connected to the router the only reason for the laptop to switch back to the extender would be if the router signal were interrupted. Try unplugging the router and see if your laptop switches back to the Extender. Depending on what services are actually provided by your externder, that might or might not work but it would be interesting to see if it would.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/12/15 09:22 PM. Reason: punctuation fault

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33419 03/13/15 12:54 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Will test it Joe! and report back...

kevs #33436 03/13/15 02:36 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Woke this morning Joe and laptop was back to the router.

Now the desktop was offline, which means I think there was an interruption, usually the desktop its online to the router. So I think that clarifies without having to unplug router the extender would not swith back to extender.

Still, even if I unplug the router and it did go back to extender, does not help as who is going to do that on a regular basis?

That said, this is normal then (as opposed to Ira'a opinion), that a router may have a daily timer to bring extender back to the router line? Seems odd. If true, then there is 100% no point in shopping for a new extender correct?

I should try to contact D link, though it's always a time drain even though their service is better than Netgear. With Apple, never remember this issue. Still happy something works now albiet huge nuisance involved to switch back daily. The extender has a refresh button on it, but it does not work, I have to unplug replug to get it up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard