FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O X 10.10.3 Beta and Photos
#33304 03/05/15 10:29 PM
OP Online

PROLOGUE

If you haven't figured this out about me before now, I am a confessed beta tester and early adapter (a.k.a. glutton for punishment and risk taker. As an Aperture user I received an email this AM announcing that Apple is stopping development of Aperture effective with the release of Yosemite 10.10.3 and that it will be replaced by what is essentially a port of the Photos app from iOS 8 and offering a download of the 10.10.3 beta. So once again into the breach…

10.10.3:

I was working on this post when my Mac mini went into a full kernel panic which I have not seen before on this machine. So there are obviously still problems with 10.10.3. Otherwise I have not encountered any noticeable differences from 10.10.2.

PHOTOS
  1. Photos appears to be a pretty straight forward port of the iOS 8 version which is IMO both good and bad. Its primary functional enhancement is a closer integration between the photo library on OS X and iCloud. Apple did not say this, but I suspect iPhoto is on the end of development list as well as Aperture because Photos duplicates most of its functionality.
  2. Like other ports such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc some iPhoto and Aperture features got left on the drawing board at least in this beta version.
    1. There is no provision for relocating the library to an alternative location or drive.
    2. Importing images from the iPhoto or Aperture libraries makes a complete physical copy. Photos will not share either the iPhoto or Aperture photo libraries.
    3. Faces and location date generated in Aperture/iPhoto are left behind in the import
  3. There are options to store the entire Photos library on iCloud, duplicate all the images on the computer and iCloud and keep them synchronized, or store thumbnails on the computer and the full images in iCloud.
  4. Image editing is much like iPhoto but not to the level of Aperture
  5. There is no provision for access to an external image editor if the builtin editor is insufficient to the task.
  6. If you delete an image in Photos that deletes the copy in the Photos library and on all your other devices including iCloud and I have not yet found a way to disconnect that.

CONCLUSION

This is probably premature, but if it weren't for the lack of an alternate location for the Photos library, the inability to share/convert the iPhoto/Aperture library, inability to selectively delete images from one location or another, and no easy access to a more powerful external image editor such as Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, or even Graphic Converter Photos would IMO a reasonable replacement for iPhoto but I will definitely miss Aperture's more powerful editing ability. By the way I have a few thousand images and it appears that for Photos to copy all of them to iCloud is going to take many hours (days?) of time.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: O X 10.10.3 Beta and Photos
joemikeb #33306 03/05/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
By the way I have a few thousand images and it appears that for Photos to copy all of them to iCloud is going to take many hours (days?) of time.

I've often wondered if Apple is getting ahead of itself with iCloud in the sense that the amount of data people may need to upload just to get to square-one may very seriously exceed their ability to upload it, your photos (my 140GB of music, were I to be so inclined) being an excellent case in point...the grelber conundrum updated.

Edit: But of course, there's got to be a starting point, even if it isn't an ideal one, not to mention the fact that our music is supposed to have come from the iTunes Store.

Last edited by artie505; 03/06/15 12:47 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #33309 03/05/15 11:35 PM

• There is no provision for relocating the library to an alternative location or drive.
  • Importing images from the iPhoto or Aperture libraries makes a complete physical copy. Photos will not share either the iPhoto or Aperture photo libraries.
  • Faces and location date generated in Aperture/iPhoto are left behind in the import
  • There are options to store the entire Photos library on iCloud, duplicate all the images on the computer and iCloud and keep them synchronized, or store thumbnails on the computer and the full images in iCloud.

Good God. That's dreadful! I have a 300GB iPhoto library containing some 42,058 photos spanning 13 years. Making a second duplicate of that library is obscenely wasteful of hard drive space. And the prospect of sharing any of that on iCloud...huh uh. I don't think so.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
artie505 #33313 03/06/15 01:46 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
(my 140GB of music, were I to be so inclined) being an excellent case in point...the grelber conundrum updated.

Edit: But of course, there's got to be a starting point, even if it isn't an ideal one, not to mention the fact that our music is supposed to have come from the iTunes Store.

In the case of tunes purchased from the iTunes store or tunes purchased elsewhere but present in the iTunes store nothing is transmitted to the iCloud. You simply get a link to the iTunes store copy of the tune. The only direction the data moves in that case is down to your computer, iPhone, iPod, or iPad. of course that won't work with photos.

— Albert Einstein
tacit #33314 03/06/15 01:51 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
Good God. That's dreadful! I have a 300GB iPhoto library containing some 42,058 photos spanning 13 years. Making a second duplicate of that library is obscenely wasteful of hard drive space. And the prospect of sharing any of that on iCloud...huh uh. I don't think so.

I don't have anything like the number of photographs you have, but I concur wholeheartedly.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33316 03/06/15 07:26 AM

In the case of tunes purchased from the iTunes store or tunes purchased elsewhere but present in the iTunes store nothing is transmitted to the iCloud.

That was the point of my ("...our music is supposed to have come from the iTunes Store") edit, but I was unaware of the "tunes purchased elsewhere" thing; what sources does "elsewhere" include?

Edit: Were you to be inclined to invest n days in uploading your photos to iCloud, how severely, if at all, would the non-stop upload impact your ability to download during that period?

Last edited by artie505; 03/06/15 11:13 AM. Reason: Add quote +

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #33322 03/06/15 03:58 PM
OP Online

That was the point of my ("…our music is supposed to have come from the iTunes Store") edit, but I was unaware of the "tunes purchased elsewhere" thing; what sources does "elsewhere" include?

A CD purchased from directly from the artist/publisher/store/whatever and loaded into iTunes. But it has to be an exact match to what is in the iTunes store, otherwise it is uploaded and stored in my iCloud disk allotment.

Edit: Were you to be inclined to invest n days in uploading your photos to iCloud, how severely, if at all, would the non-stop upload impact your ability to download during that period?

As far as I could tell from the brief period I allowed it to run, I did not notice any impact on other internet activity, but the Photos upload was going very slowly.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #33694 04/04/15 04:58 PM
OP Online

An interesting (as in the supposedly ancient Chinese curse,"may you live in interesting times.") ) note with the first five 10.10.3 beta releases. An hour or so after installing each of the five public betas, my Mac mini has suffered a full blown kernel panic. After it gets the one KP out of its system the 10.10.3 betas have been completely stable. Because KPs are generally related to hardware and/or kernel extensions I have run the full test suites from TechTool Pro 8, Drive Genius 4, Etrecheck 2.1.8, and a couple of other test utilities but no errors of any sort have been detected by any of them. All of this has been reported to Apple, five times now.

What I find particularly interesting is the KP does not happen immediately after installing the 10.10.3 public beta rather a few hours after the installation and restart. Equally puzzling to me is the KP occurs only once and thereafter the system is stable.

For general information, the only application that has shown any problems with any of the 10.10.3 Public Betas was the H&R Block tax program and it stabilized after about the second 10.10.3 public beta.

— Albert Einstein
OS X 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3
joemikeb #33756 04/09/15 02:56 PM
OP Online

OS X 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3 are both available for download today. Is it mere coincidence that both versions were released simultaneously or is this more evidence the two environments are merging? I would place my money on they are getting closer to being virtually the same OS.

I did find there is a way to move the Photos library to another location in OS X. Then you launch Photos while holding down the Option key and you are then prompted for the library location. The official word on images from other folders and libraries is…

Originally Posted By: Photos Help
By default, the photos and video you import into Photos are stored in the Photos library on your Mac.

However, if you import items from a storage device or another folder on your Mac, you can have Photos leave the items in their original locations so they don’t take up extra space on your Mac. As long as the device or folder is accessible to Photos, you can view and work with these items in the Photos window just as you normally would. (Files that are stored in another location outside your Photos library are known as referenced files.)

Although storing files outside your Photos library is a great way to save space on your Mac, be aware that:

If you use iCloud Photo Library, photos and videos outside your Photos library aren’t stored in your iCloud Photo Library. So these files won’t be accessible to any other Mac or device that uses iCloud Photo Library.

If you disconnect the device where the files are located, or move or rename the files in the Finder, Photos won’t be able to locate them, so you can’t work with them in the Photos app.

Note: If you use iCloud Photo Library, another good way to save space is to set your preferences to store your original photos in iCloud. iCloud Photo Library then places smaller photo files on your Mac as needed. All the full-size photos and video will always be accessible to your Mac from iCloud, but your Photos library will take up less space on your Mac.

All in all, with Photos enhanced image editing, it seems to be a reasonable replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture. The only problem I have with Photos is the all or nothing or both approach to storing images in iCloud. I would prefer to have more selectivity, but what Apple is trying to achieve is not bad and I can live with the available options — for now.

NOTE: This is strictly my impression and as always YMMV grin

ANOTHER NOTE: I have my fingers crossed, but so far I have not suffered the after installation kernel panic with the release version of 10.10.3 smile grin

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/09/15 02:59 PM. Reason: add another note

— Albert Einstein
Re: OS X 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3
joemikeb #33793 04/11/15 05:12 PM
OP Online

UPDATE The release version of 10.10.3 has been running for nearly 48 hours without a kernel panic. Apparently whatever was causing it in the public betas has been corrected. cool

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard