FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Migrating from PPC to new macmini.
MikeS #3315 09/08/09 06:51 PM

Quote:
reverting back to my "harping on" about Spotlight, Jon, I seem to recall that you have, in the past, "championed" alternatives. I have "VersionTracked" a couple - EasyFind and Find Any File - and was wondering what your experience has been

Hey Mike, glad to see things are going well for you. I'd suggest playing with Spotlight and seeing if there are things you want to do that you can't. Don't want to prejudice you too much, since I assume most people find Spotlight good enough. wink Plus, don't want to hijack the thread.

You might want to check out this Lounge thread for grumblings about recent versions of Spotlight. There's also plenty of stuff to search out in the old MFI Archives, if you're curious.

Enjoy the upgrade! cool

Last edited by donikatz; 09/09/09 04:38 AM. Reason: Fixed link. Thanks dianne!

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
jchuzi #3316 09/08/09 07:45 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon. I will have a look at System Preferences and see what it has to offer.
Re Spotlight, perhaps I will be a bit more patient and also, as suggested by doni, check out some other "stuff".
Thanks again. Regards. Mike

dianne #3317 09/08/09 07:54 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi dianne
Thanks for your offer. wink blush
I'm hoping the MP630 will now be fine - haven't really had the time/inclination/energy yet to actually try it out. shocked
I'm sure I will have other things to query, in which case I will try to include them in the relevant forum/s. laugh
Regards. Mike

Bensheim #3318 09/08/09 08:16 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the sentiments. Not sure I'm up to a bear hug or hi-five at the moment and I've been "allergic" to (alcoholic) drink for (too) many years now. grin mad
I'm obviously a bit of a masochist 'though, as I will shortly be applying to Apple for the discounted "Snow Leopard Up-to Date Program" - tsk, American abbreviation for programme laugh. People, you have been forewarned. wink
Anyway, like I said, thanks for your comments. Regards. Mike

donikatz #3319 09/08/09 08:19 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

Last but not least. wink
Like I've already said to Jon (I think)- seems like hours ago now - I will persevere with Spotlight, but also check out some other "grumblings" as you suggest.
Regards. Mike

joemikeb #3341 09/08/09 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In fact, I am not sure you even need to have the monitor connected to boot into Firewire target disk mode

all catch keys work fine with no monitor present.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
donikatz #3360 09/09/09 12:33 AM

donikatz,

The link titled this Lounge thread takes me to
Quote:
Safari can't open the page. Safari can’t open the page “http:localhost/” because the page’s address isn’t valid.

I think something has been omitted in creating the hyperlink. I do not want to make a moderator edit which misinterprets your intent in linking to "this Lounge thread."

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #3367 09/09/09 04:38 AM

Thanks dianne. Not sure how that happened, but all fixed now.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard