FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yosemite Upgrade Paranoia
Bob_00001 #33098 02/14/15 02:01 AM
OP Offline

It's unfortunate, but I suspect that Crucial wouldn't be selling all that much RAM for those old machines anymore anyway. So they're not likely losing much business.

I placed an order for 6GB with OWC today. So I should have it sometime next week.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
alternaut #33099 02/14/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
It’s up to the user/RAM purchaser to know which DIMMs would fit(*), and then just buy them without using the Advisor Tool. It’s a bit more work, but works just fine as long as the merchandise is in stock. (*) added

Nope; it doesn't work!

When I researched my original post I searched Crucial's website for DIMMs meeting the specs I was looking for, and the 4GB item didn't turn up. (My bad for not mentioning that.)

The DIMMs at issue, mine and Bob_00001's, apparently don't exist for any reason other than to upgrade Macs beyond Apple's specs and unless you specifically ask for them, so you must specifically ask for them. (Crucial ultimately gave me the part number and told me I could order it..."but it may not work" [ tongue ].)

It's a shame that Crucial, for whatever reason, is screwing customers who prefer their DIMMs and so, for want of searching, are left unaware that the upgrades in question exist.

(*) "Above-spec" RAM is a pretty esoteric topic, and I suspect that many/most users who are aware that their RAM can be upgraded remain unaware of it unless they learn about it from a vendor.

Last edited by artie505; 02/14/15 09:24 AM. Reason: Say it better...I think

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #33101 02/14/15 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Originally Posted By: artie505
The last time this subject came up (and just now, too) I looked at Crucial's website and found that they've apparently undergone a change in policy and no longer sell RAM upgrades that surpass Apple's specs.

If I had to toss out a flying guess, I'd wager that was due to pressure from Apple. Apple buys memory from Crucial. They probably got told "knock that off or we will change suppliers".

In addition to what I said in post #33095 I'll mention that the first coupl'a times I bought RAM from Crucial the DIMMs were branded "OEM", same as the ones I was replacing, but more recently purchased DIMMs have been branded "Crucial", unlike those shipped by Apple.

I wonder if that's also "Apple fallout", and I also wonder whether my "Crucial" DIMMs are the same ones Apple ships but just branded differently?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #33104 02/14/15 04:42 PM

Nope; it doesn't work!

That kind of sucks. From past purchases and various threads at MacFixIt I recall the discrepancy between the official Apple stance on max RAM and available DIMM sizes for the few Mac models where that was different. Apparently Crucial now hides any ‘off-label’ options more consistently since their business relationship with Apple. All the more reason for the buyer to be aware of the issue.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33108 02/14/15 05:46 PM

...I looked at Crucial's website and found that they've apparently undergone a change in policy and no longer sell RAM upgrades that surpass Apple's specs.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Apparently Crucial now hides any ‘off-label’ options more consistently...

Am I the only one who remembers that Crucial originally did not offer RAM upgrades that exceeded Apple specs? I more than once bought from 18004memory or OWC when upgrading older Macs, specifically for that reason. I'd call it a return to a previous policy, not the advent of a new one.

See for example Pushing the HW envelope with OS X...

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #33110 02/14/15 07:12 PM

This may look like semantics, but I’m not saying that Crucial officially offered larger RAM DIMMs than Apple spec via their online RAM Advisor, only that they did have such DIMMs for sale, at least for some of the Mac models where there was a difference. Unfortunately, those links have long since expired, as did the inventory they referred to, making it difficult to substantiate that notion one way or the other. That said, I'm willing to concede the possibility that I’m confusing Crucial (my only supplier for at least 25 years) with other RAM vendors. laugh

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33116 02/15/15 07:22 AM

dk's linked thread and the "WallStreet" both predate my experience, so I can't comment.

I can say, though, that the above-spec DIMMs I bought for my 13" Early 2009 MacBook did appear in Crucial's Advisor tool's readout...no searching or advance knowledge required.

Bob_00001 #33327 03/06/15 08:28 PM
OP Offline

My memory upgrade finally arrived, after more than two weeks. Mail from US to Canada is typically slow, but it sailed through Canada Customs without incurring any additional charges, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I recall seeing somewhere, some advice to install the smaller memory card in a certain position, but I don't remember where I saw it, and the installation video on the OWC site makes no mention of this. So, I figured that I'd just stick them in arbitrary positions since I couldn't imagine it causing any physical damage. When I fired up the computer, it recognized the full 6GB, and so I left things where they are.

I'm still curious though. Is there a preferred arrangement when using two different size memory cards?

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard