for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to enable the Java Plugin?
#32784 01/30/15 12:51 PM
OP Offline

I am unable to run a ping test because the Java Plugin is not enabled. As I recall, there had been a setting in Safari/Preferences/Security that accommodated such. Apparently, the inherent risk (and confusion with JavaScript?) necessitated hiding or removing the Java Plugin.

Ergo, what/is there a way to easily enable the use of the Java Plugin so that I may run the ping test?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: How to enable the Java Plugin?
Pendragon #32787 01/30/15 01:26 PM

go here to see what your status is:

https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

that's a much more clear-cut and informative way to test java than to visit a random webpage or dig around in safari.

Java is a system-wide plugin, not just a browser extension, so it will show up in the bottom row of System Preferences. You can check for and run updates from there.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Pendragon #32791 01/30/15 03:25 PM

V1’s advice pertains to Oracle versions of Java (7 and up). Older versions (up to and including 6) were provided by Apple. Those older versions can still be installed and work on current Macs running anything up to and including Yosemite (10.10.2), which is not to say you should (but see below*). Unfortunately, in Yosemite (and possibly earlier Mac OS X versions) Apple Java versions will not be seen by the online test V1 linked to, nor will you see a Java System Prefs panel servicing it. In addition, Yosemite no longer comes with Apple’s Java Preferences utility, although it still appears to support copies from previous OS X versions, at least all the way back to Mac OS X 10.5 and the PPC-Mac era.

That said, there is an issue with having different versions of Java installed concurrently. While Apple’s JP allowed that, this is no longer the case with Oracle’s Java (7 and up): you can only keep one version of its Java around (ideally the latest), and have to uninstall the existing one to accommodate another. I don’t yet know, however, if older Apple Java versions can coexist with Oracle’s.

To return to the issue underlying your query, the inability to run a ping test begs the question whether such a test should be Java-based to begin with, let alone with a Java version that’s not up-to-date. It also makes a difference if the ping is intended to test a LAN or an internet item. Using Java online is always dangerous, with the possible exception of known sites, where one is sure to actually access that site and not an imposter. This is the reason Apple removed Java from its OS installs, and the Java checkbox from Safari’s Security Prefs panel.
In this case the fact that the Java plugin is not enabled may mean that an older and more vulnerable version of Java is installed; if there’s none installed, the latest (Oracle) plugin will do. But it’s much better to a use non-Java based ping utility altogether. For internet purposes, how about the online Network Tools? Alternatively, use what you already have at hand: How to Ping on Mac OS.

*) The main reason you might want to keep older Java versions around is for legacy purposes: to enable (locally run) software that hasn’t been updated to run with newer versions of Java. Even so, it’s MUCH better to look for alternatives than to keep on using older Java versions, but sometimes that’s just not possible. And as long as this Java isn’t used online to run web applets, there shouldn’t be any security issues (Apple disables the Java SE 6 web plugin on new J6 installs, but this block can be circumvented by using the latest version of Oracle’s Java web plugin). And anyone still using J6 should make sure to apply Apple’s latest security update (2014-01) while realizing that this still is not 100% safe. Fortunately, most users will not need to keep potentially dangerous (older versions of) Java around, and should remove them from their computers if they can’t be sure they can be effectively disabled.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32797 01/30/15 06:37 PM

I have Java 6 in 10.6.8. It is disabled in Safari but Photoshop CS 5 requires it. When I get a new iMac and use Setup Assistant to migrate all data, will Java 6 survive the transfer?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
alternaut #32798 01/30/15 06:51 PM
OP Offline

I really should have been more specific. The site I visited that required the Java Plugin is: Speedtest. I use it to check my DL & UL speeds. In that regard all is well. It's only when I do a Ping test that the issue surfaces.

Now, thanks to NetWork Tools and DSL Line Quality I have all data I can understand; and without installing Java.

Thanks to all for the info and links!

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #32800 01/30/15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
When I get a new iMac and use Setup Assistant to migrate all data, will Java 6 survive the transfer?

No, but you can reinstall it using the link in my previous post. I just jumped through the same hoop, and it works. That said, it's quite possible that the latest Oracle Java (8) will work with CS5; if so, that's preferable. I'm running J6 for a few legacy apps, including CS3, and it works fine. For some of those apps I might be able to use Java 8, but I'm not yet sure it plays nice with J6, which I may still need. So far, I haven't yet taken the time to experiment.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32850 02/01/15 01:08 AM

I looked at the links in your previous post and could not find a Java SE 6 download. I tried Oracle's Java Archive, clicked the download button and was taken to a page thanking me for downloading Java. No download appeared, however.

I searched Apple's website and came up dry. The App Store doesn't list it. Please advise.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #32852 02/01/15 01:20 AM

Java for OS X 2014-001.

This is one of the many Apple Knowledge Base pages which don't load in Safari 8, but you may be able to view it in your version of Safari. (I opened it in Firefox.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #32853 02/01/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Java for OS X 2014-001.

This is one of the many Apple Knowledge Base pages which don't load in Safari 8, but you may be able to view it in your version of Safari. (I opened it in Firefox.)

It loads in my Safari 5.1.10, which is what Jon's got, but the page displays a pic of Apple's Lion logo, so I guess it's not applicable to either of us.

My Java version is 1.6.0_65-b14-462. I thought there was a later patch, but darned if I can find it.

PS: Why don't those pages load any more? Granted that they may be obsolete as far as current versions of OS X go, but not for troubleshooting.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32854 02/01/15 02:09 AM

Quote:
It loads in my Safari 5.1.10, which is what Jon's got, but the page displays a pic of Apple's Lion logo, so I guess it's not applicable to either of us.

I can't account for the Lion, since the release date was well into the life span of Mavericks, but Jon's looking for a version of Java 6 to install after upgrading to Yosemite with the purchase of a new Mac.

dkmarsh #32857 02/01/15 04:17 AM

- DK had the correct link (in post #32791 I omitted a zero in the version number: Security Update 2014-01, but it's the same one). After running that installer I wound up with:
Java SE 6—Apple Inc.—64 (32)-bit—1.6.0_65-b14-466.1 according to Java Preferences. This likely is Artie’s elusive ‘later patch’.

- Safari 8 is doing weird stuff with Apple KB pages, and I have no idea why. When on 10.10.1, the URLs (which only seem to be missing the http:// prefix didn’t load, but adding the prefix anyway took care of the problem, go figure. In 10.10.2 this doesn’t work any more, but when you remove the apple.com cookie item (Safari prefs>Privacy>Details (below Remove All Website Data…) the pages load, albeit with a malformed top part. The latter is new, so the wait is for 10.10.3 to take care of this bug.

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #32860 02/01/15 06:21 AM

Java for OS X 2014-001.

A lot of these links now break because Apple insists on knowing your locale. Append "?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US" (or whatever is appropriate for you) to the URL, as I've done here, and it works. Once it works, it gets cached somewhere (probably in a cookie), and continues to work without a specified locale.

alternaut #32862 02/01/15 06:40 AM

> This likely is Artie’s elusive ‘later patch’.

Nope, it requires Lion, which I expected because of the Lion logo on its Apple page.

Google doesn't turn up anything except a way to install Java 7 from Oracle using Pacifist, but I didn't do that, so I guess I just got confused from all the patches I've run recently.

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 17 (Java 1.6.0_65-b14-462) is the latest Snowy users can get (easily).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ganbustein #32863 02/01/15 06:55 AM

I thought I remembered seeing something similar to your "?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US" in the past, so I went through some of my bookmarks and found

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201262?viewlocale=en_US>

which resolves to

<http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262>.

I can't find a single instance of your notation on my deuced Mac(hina)...guess it's something new.

Edit: Just took a second look, and, conversely,

< http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492>

resolves to

<http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201573>.

(Safari 5.1.10)

Last edited by artie505; 02/01/15 07:58 AM. Reason: Add Safari version

artie505 #32871 02/01/15 03:49 PM

Thanks for the link, Artie. I downloaded it so that I'll have it when I upgrade to the iMac. Who knows? Maybe Yosemite won't let me download it so I'm hedging my bets.

Jon

dkmarsh #32872 02/01/15 03:49 PM

Java for OS X 2014-001.

It opened just fine in my version of Safari. Thanks for the link.

Jon

ganbustein #32874 02/01/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
A lot of these links now break because Apple insists on knowing your locale.

Thanks for that tip! Adding a localization string to the URL seems to work with Safari 8.0.3. I’ll have to see if it sticks, but so far, so good. With regard to where the relevant info is cached I once again removed the (previously albeit partially helpful) Apple.com cookie item, logged out and back in and successfully tried a locale-less URL. So wherever the cache is, it doesn’t seem to involve the apple.com cookie jar.

alternaut moderator
jchuzi #32880 02/01/15 08:25 PM

The link I posted is for Snowy, Jon, and the one dk posted is for Lion; I don't see a Java for Yosemite d/l link anywhere in this thread.

artie505 #32886 02/02/15 12:04 AM

As far as I know, that link is for Java SE 6, which is the last one issued for Snowy. I read (in another forum) that PS CS5 requires Java 6 and that people using CS5 and Yosemite had to install it to make CS5 work. Therefore, I assume that the installer will actually install Java 6 regardless of the OS.

If anyone knows that I'm wrong, please respond.

Jon

jchuzi #32887 02/02/15 12:18 AM

> As far as I know, that link is for Java SE 6, which is the last one issued for Snowy.

That's correct... Gotcha!

jchuzi #32894 02/02/15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
[...] Yosemite [...] I assume that the installer will actually install Java 6 regardless of the OS.

Correct, as long as it is Lion or higher, including Yosemite; there are other J6 versions for Mac OS X prior to Lion. Note that there may be issues when an Oracle version of Java (7 or higher) is already installed.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32895 02/02/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Adding a localization string to the URL seems to work with Safari 8.0.3. I’ll have to see if it sticks, but so far, so good.

Hmm, that 'so good' didn't go that far after all. This morning I had to use a localized URL again to view those Apple pages. Somehow the fix got unstuck during the same login session. Once I started looking I noticed other anomalies as well, but am not sure they’re related.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32897 02/02/15 06:27 PM

Quote:
Somehow the fix got unstuck during the same login session.

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

Further investigation reveals that a visit to that page, following the removal of all support.apple.com cookies found during a previous visit, results in three cookies (among the dozen set) whose expiration date & time are one half hour later, including s_invisit_n2_us, which googling indicates is indeed a location-related cookie.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard