FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Scroll Bar
#32572 01/23/15 06:35 AM
OP Offline

My scroll bar has disappeared. I have it checked to always show. But, for some reason, it shows sometimes (in Safari) and sometimes not. Sometimes I can hover over it and it will show and sometimes not. Any ideas? Could there be something corrupted that I should get rid of?

I talked to AppleCare about this and was told not to ever get rid of a plist without calling them or looking on Apple Discussions because some plists don't come back. I thought they all came back.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Scroll Bar
plantsower #32575 01/23/15 04:29 PM

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #32576 01/23/15 04:56 PM

According to her signature, plantsower is using Mountain Lion (not Lion) and Mavericks. Or doesn't it make a difference?

grelber #32577 01/23/15 05:03 PM

And according to Rita's post, " I have it checked to always show."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #32578 01/23/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I talked to AppleCare about this and was told not to ever get rid of a plist without calling them or looking on Apple Discussions because some plists don't come back. I thought they all came back.

AppleCare is correct not all plists will come back if they are deleted. I can't find it at the moment but there was a discussion about this on FTM maybe a year or so back. As I recall these were in /LIbrary/Preferences and not ~/Library/Preferences and/or were related to system functions.

And although this does not pertain to you — yet, deleting plists has changed pretty radically in Yosemite. In fact deleting plists manually really does not work any more.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/23/15 05:39 PM. Reason: add Yosemite comment

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #32579 01/23/15 06:19 PM

In Yosemite, Safari does not display scroll bars if there's no scrollable content (i.e. if the entire page is viewable in the Safari window), even with Always checked in System Preferences -> General -> Show scroll bars:. I suspect that's how it is in Mountain Lion as well, though I don't recall for sure.

That wouldn't explain why you can sometimes produce them by hovering, though. In cases like this—when a behavior seems to reflect a different preference choice than the one you've made—the first thing to try is toggling the choice off and on again. In other words, click the When scrolling button, then click the Always button again.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #32580 01/23/15 07:19 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

AppleCare is correct not all plists will come back if they are deleted. I can't find it at the moment but there was a discussion about this on FTM maybe a year or so back. As I recall these were in /LIbrary/Preferences and not ~/Library/Preferences and/or were related to system functions.

And although this does not pertain to you — yet, deleting plists has changed pretty radically in Yosemite. In fact deleting plists manually really does not work any more.

Wow, so when someone says try removing a plist to correct a problem, that's not possible anymore with Yosemite? Maybe a good reason not to upgrade to Yosemite just yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

dkmarsh #32581 01/23/15 07:22 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

In Yosemite, Safari does not display scroll bars if there's no scrollable content (i.e. if the entire page is viewable in the Safari window), even with Always checked in System Preferences -> General -> Show scroll bars:. I suspect that's how it is in Mountain Lion as well, though I don't recall for sure.

That wouldn't explain why you can sometimes produce them by hovering, though. In cases like this—when a behavior seems to reflect a different preference choice than the one you've made—the first thing to try is toggling the choice off and on again. In other words, click the When scrolling button, then click the Always button again.

When I am looking for my scroll bar, it is always when the whole page isn't showing. I just don't know why it changed. At the moment, I have a scroll bar. Go figure. So many things I would like to bring back from some of the older OS's. I will try the toggling trick. I have Mountain Lion on an external drive for emergencies, but I use Mavericks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #32582 01/23/15 07:34 PM

AppleCare is correct not all plists will come back if they are deleted. I can't find it at the moment but there was a discussion about this on FTM maybe a year or so back.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ is a famous/infamous example.

I'm having a problem with the network, lets just delete that. ok good it made a new one. Is it smaller?

Oh I have no network adapters! OK lets just re-add them. why is the list blank when I click [+] ?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #32583 01/23/15 08:26 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
AppleCare is correct not all plists will come back if they are deleted. I can't find it at the moment but there was a discussion about this on FTM maybe a year or so back.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ is a famous/infamous example.

I'm having a problem with the network, lets just delete that. ok good it made a new one. Is it smaller?

Oh I have no network adapters! OK lets just re-add them. why is the list blank when I click [+] ?

A good reason for me not to get rid of plists. I just don't know what I'm doing. Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #32589 01/24/15 04:19 PM

Even if the advice was given to delete a preference file, it should always have been to remove it from its current location, put it on the Desktop or in a folder on the Desktop, and not to Trash it. This way it could be returned intact, if needed.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #32591 01/24/15 06:38 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Even if the advice was given to delete a preference file, it should always have been to remove it from its current location, put it on the Desktop or in a folder on the Desktop, and not to Trash it. This way it could be returned intact, if needed.

Thanks, Ira. Seems safer that way. Not knowing exactly how things work, I would have thought it would still be doing it's thing whether it was on the desktop or in the library. Now I know better.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #32594 01/24/15 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

Agreed, but to prevent frustration among those reading this who are running Yosemite or later, it would be good to add the phrase "prior to Yosemite" to this advice. Gangbustein's excellent post makes it abundantly clear why deleting or relocating prefs in Yosemite is a fruitless exercise, unless it is performed using cfprefsd through the Defaults command.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32609 01/26/15 05:53 PM

Excellent observation. And even Gangbustein's post emphasizes moving to the Desktop and not immediately trashing it so that the restoration method he describes can be used.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
plantsower #32712 01/29/15 01:04 AM
OP Offline

OK, it might be a coincidence, but after I got rid of Evernote, my scrollbar came back. It's only been a day, but I think that was the culprit.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32735 01/29/15 04:54 PM
OP Offline

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Scrollbar gone again. Phooey!

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32739 01/29/15 06:08 PM

In Yosemite (and maybe Mavericks and I just didn't notice) the normal behavior of the scroll bar is to fade out and only appear when on a page that does not fit in the window and a gesture is made with the mouse or trackpad that could be interpreted as intending to scroll the window and then fades away after a few second delay. This behavior is normal in Finder and most other Apple apps. (Calendar does not use scroll bars at all.) It is a tossup whether third party apps use the revised Apple style or have persistent school bars.

I just looked in MacPilot to see if I could find a hidden preference "switch" to turn this behavior on or off and came up empty handed.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32740 01/29/15 06:15 PM
OP Offline

In Yosemite (and maybe Mavericks and I just didn't notice) the normal behavior of the scroll bar is to fade out and only appear when on a page that does not fit in the window and a gesture is made with the mouse or trackpad that could be interpreted as intending to scroll the window and then fades away after a few second delay. This behavior is normal in Finder and most other Apple apps. (Calendar does not use scroll bars at all.) It is a tossup whether third party apps use the revised Apple style or have persistent school bars.

I just looked in MacPilot to see if I could find a hidden preference "switch" to turn this behavior on or off and came up empty handed.

Thanks for checking that for me. Oh well. I've had Mavericks almost since it came out and I've never had a problem with my scroll bar showing. Now it's a different story. It comes and goes at will. Hovering does not bring it to the fore nor does scrolling. I guess I will just have to live without it, which is a pain on a long page. I like to know where I am on it.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32741 01/29/15 07:04 PM

Thanks for checking that for me. Oh well. I've had Mavericks almost since it came out and I've never had a problem with my scroll bar showing. Now it's a different story. It comes and goes at will. Hovering does not bring it to the fore nor does scrolling. I guess I will just have to live without it, which is a pain on a long page. I like to know where I am on it.

Rita

Try going to your Apple menu, choosing System Preferences, and clicking the General icon. In the middle fo the General pane, you should see

Show scroll bars:

with choices for Automatically, When Scrolling, and Always. Make sure Always is selected.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
plantsower #32746 01/29/15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Try going to your Apple menu, choosing System Preferences, and clicking the General icon. In the middle fo the General pane, you should see

Show scroll bars:

with choices for Automatically, When Scrolling, and Always. Make sure Always is selected.

And if you haven't done so already, toggle the preference off and then back on.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #32755 01/29/15 10:25 PM
OP Offline

Rita

Show scroll bars:

Thank you. It was already checked on "always." It just isn't listening.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #32756 01/29/15 10:26 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505

Show scroll bars:

And if you haven't done so already, toggle the preference off and then back on.

It toggled, it wiggled and nothing else happened. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32757 01/29/15 10:32 PM

In the absence of any better ideas, I'll suggest that you d/l and re-run the OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo).

artie505 #32758 01/29/15 10:38 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
In the absence of any better ideas, I'll suggest that you d/l and re-run the OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo).

That'a a major step. Wouldn't I lose all my stuff?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32760 01/29/15 11:07 PM

You didn't lose your stuff the first time you ran the Combo, and you're not lkely to lose it this time, but as with all such stuff, it pays to have an up to date backup before you proceed.

Actually, Rita, re-running the Combo is a venerable and often successful troubleshooting step.

Good luck. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard