Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How get images off the iphone?
#32658 01/27/15 05:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Just got iphone 6.
Went to icloud.com, and selected all 100 photos, downloaded, but it was a real mess and I had to force quit Firefox.

Got a lot of .part files on the desktop, after watching it chug along for 10 minuets.

Any quick/ efficient way to do this? Lost. thanks.

Re: How get images off the iphone?
kevs #32659 01/27/15 06:29 PM

You can move photos from an iPhone to a Mac by connecting the two using the lightning connector and opening Image Capture on the Mac. You can also import them into Preview by choosing Import from device_name… in Preview's File menu; they'll appear as thumbnails in the sidebar of a Preview window.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #32662 01/27/15 08:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

mage Capture bring up device scanner, don't see preference so I'm lost there. This app always drives me batty.

Preview, did not work either, only import offering is the same scanner!

kevs #32663 01/27/15 08:16 PM

Either iPhoto or Aperture can directly read/download images placed on iCloud by an iOS device. There is no need to involve any internet browser. How long the download takes depends on your internet connection but generally it is reasonably fast. At the moment I have 799 images in iCloud and the thumbnails appear almost instantly on opening either application. Opening the full image for editing takes roughly ½ second.

In either iPhoto or Aperture iCloud appears as a shared device and the downloads are by default assembled into Events entitled "month year Photo Stream". Of course once you have them in iPhoto or Aperture you can move the images into Events as you like.

Personally I never take any special action to upload or download images from my iDevices. I take a picture on the iPhone and when I open iPhoto or Aperture i expect it to be there and it is.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32666 01/27/15 08:20 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe,
but I've only had the phone for a month or two and already the 12GB is 1/2 full (think 12GB) Don't I want to move these off to hardrive soon?

Anyway, iphoto just does not launch and just updated to new version from App store. any ideas?

I don't have Aperture, though I do have Lightroom.

kevs #32684 01/27/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I've only had the phone for a month or two and already the 12GB is ½ full (think 12GB) Don't I want to move these off to hard rive soon?

Is the 12GB you mention on your iPhone or iCloud. If it is the phone the minimum memory size is 16GB, and if it is iCloud the minimum allocation is 5GB and on my account 779 images take up only 241.54MB. (I talked my wife into a 32GB iPhone 5 because she did not use that much storage on her iPhone 4S. Turned out to be a mistake and she just upgraded to a 128GB iPhone 6 because she insists on keeping a lot images on the iPhone itself.)

In an case, once an image has migrated to iCloud you can delete it from your iPhone or iPad with or without deleting it from the iPhone. The same is true with iPhoto on your Mac, once you have the image in the iPhoto library on your Mac you can delete the image on iCloud without losing it on the Mac. I have thousands of photos in my iPhoto/Aperture library that have arrived there via iCloud but no longer appear on iCloud. In fact between the iPhoto/Aperture library and iTunes Library the 1TB drive in my Mac mini was getting crowded so I added an external 2GB HD just to contain those two libraries.

Anyway, iPhoto just does not launch and just updated to new version from App store. any ideas?

Now we have a genuine troubleshooting issue. Just so we are all singing from the same page in the hymnal…
  • what version of OS X are you running? Lots of iCloud features and sharing are only available in Yosemite and in Yosemite apps.
  • what is your hardware configuration?
  • what version of iPhoto did you just upgrade to?
  • when you say, "...won't launch" can you describe specifically what happens?
  • have you opened the Console app and looked to see what, if any, error messages appear there when you attempt to launch iPhoto? If yes then please post the first 15 or so lines of the log here.

Originally Posted By: keys
I don't have Aperture, though I do have Lightroom.

That is okay I only mention Aperture because as an Apple app it can and does share local and iCloud libraries with iPhoto. Lightroom on the other hand is an Adobe app and as far as I know is totally unaware of iCloud or the photo library in iCloud and uses its own Library in OS X.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32695 01/28/15 01:52 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, ok, 16GB and the phone says 5GB is taken.

I think photos are 1GB, it's weird how the rest, is 4gb, amazine, not sure how it even breaks down , 4gb and I just got the phone.

I see all the 140 or so images (maybe 4 videos) on icloud.com. Again, I have never used iphoto, and it does not launch/ work.

I'm on 10.10.1

Not sure hardware configuration, what that means.

I cannot see the version for iphoto. I just downloaded from app store, it does not appear anywhere in info or finder the version.

I click on iphoto icon, and nothing happens, nothing at all.

Here is what console says:
1/27/15 6:50:55.579 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mdworker.bundles) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

kevs #32704 01/28/15 05:13 PM

joemikeb said: "In an[y] case, once an image has migrated to iCloud you can delete it from your iPhone or iPad with or without deleting it from the iPhone. The same is true with iPhoto on your Mac, once you have the image in the iPhoto library on your Mac you can delete the image on iCloud without losing it on the Mac. I have thousands of photos in my iPhoto/Aperture library that have arrived there via iCloud but no longer appear on iCloud."

This is a key concept and a big time saver. If both your iPhone and iPhoto on your Mac are set to "recognize" iCloud (and as previously stated, certain OS/iOS versions do not allow this to happen), then if you just open iPhoto, it will create a new "Event" in your iPhoto Library>Events (i.e., in the first listing in the sidebar of iPhoto) that contains your latest iPhone photos. You do not need to connect anything; it is a passive process. Depending on the number of photos, it could take a little bit of time.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #32706 01/28/15 06:08 PM

Thanks Joe, ok, 16GB and the phone says 5GB is taken.

I think photos are 1GB, it's weird how the rest, is 4gb, amazine, not sure how it even breaks down , 4gb and I just got the phone.

Settings > General > Storage > Manage Storage > and wait a few seconds for the data to be gathered and you will get an app by app display of how much storage is used by each installed app. Note: that is storage not memory.

Once we resolve the problem with iTunes, when you connect your iPhone to your Mac via USB then in iTunes select the icon for the iPhone and under settings in the left hand column of the iTunes window select Summary at the bottom of the window you will see a bar graph with a colored breakdown of what you have in Storage on your iPhone in general terms such as photos, Apps, Books, Documents and data, Other and free. If there is no label on the item rolling over it with the cursor will bring up the details such as number of apps and MB/GB allocated to apps.

I see all the 140 or so images (maybe 4 videos) on icloud.com. Again, I have never used iPhoto, and it does not launch/ work.

Okay we are going to work on that, but this part of the discussion really belongs in Applications so I will ask Cyn or Diane to move this part of the thread there. (I can't move it because I am not a moderator in this particular forum.)

I'm on 10.10.1

Good that means you have full iCloud compatibility and since your iPhone is new am I correct that it is running iOS 8.1.2?

Not sure hardware configuration, what that means.

We probably don't need that now since you are running OS X 10.10.1 but that is generally understood to be what Mac model you have, how much Memory, how much Storage. All of that can be obtained by going to the Apple Menu > About this mac. For example my hardware configuration is a Late 2012 Mac mini with 16GB of memory and a 1.12TB Fusion drive running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

I cannot see the version for iPhoto. I just downloaded from app store, it does not appear anywhere in info or finder the version.

In all likelihood it is iTunes 12.0.1.26 but if you navigate to /Applications/iTunes and select it then click command+I, near the top of the Get Info window there is a heading General, if there is nothing subordinate to that click on the reveal arrow to the left of General. Under that you will see Kind, Size, Where, Created, Modified, Version, and Copyright.

I click on iPhoto icon, and nothing happens, nothing at all.

Here is what console says:
1/27/15 6:50:55.579 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mdworker.bundles) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Obviously that is not a lot of help, but that is not your fault, I should have provided more fulsome instruction. So lets take this step by step…
  1. Just to be sure iTunes is not running but not displaying a window (that can happen easy enough.)
    1. Launch Activity Monitor from /Applications/Utilities
    2. in the search argument at the upper right corner of the Activity Monitor window insert iTunes. If iTunes does not appear skip to step 2 below. If iTunes does appear then the iTunes is running but the window is not open.
    3. Click on the iTunes icon in the Dock at the bottom of your screen and iTunes should appear in the Menu Bar.
    4. Either press command+0 (that is a zero) or select Window > iTunes on the menu bar and you should be in business. Otherwise…
  2. Launch the Console application
    1. In the left hand column of the Console window select All Messages On the Console Tool bar click on the icon labeled Clear Display that should erase everything in the right hand column of the window. Don't worry it will fill up again very quickly but we are doing this to isolate and messages associated with iTunes.
  3. Launch iTunes
  4. Quickly copy everything that appeared in the Console window when you launched iTunes.
  5. Paste that into your reply to this post. Hopefully that will yield more information on why iTunes is not launching.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/28/15 06:15 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32708 01/29/15 12:48 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Guys,
Bottom, Both itunes and iphoto don't work. When I put cord from the iphone to the computer, direct --no hub, open itunes, which opens fine, I don't see the phone icon.

And iphoto does not even launch at all. So, I think I'll call Apple and make a new case, best best right?

kevs #32709 01/29/15 12:57 AM

Try this... While your iPhone is plugged into your Mac, look in /Applications/Utilities/System Information > Hardware > USB (I'm assuming that the connection is through a USB port.) and see if your iPhone appears in the "USB Device Tree".

You may be dealing with either a bad USB port on your Mac, a bad cable, or a bad iPhone.

Edit: It sounds like a trip to the Genius Bar may be a better idea than opening a case (at the moment, anyhow).

Last edited by artie505; 01/29/15 01:39 AM. Reason: Change "bads", path

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32715 01/29/15 01:32 AM

In Mavericks and later, the application you're referring to is called System Information, not System Profiler.

I'm not convinced that kevs's iPhone is truly failing to show up in iTunes. The iTunes 12 interface is perhaps the most convoluted and unintuitive piece of software design Apple has ever produced. No matter where you are, it's difficult to get from there to where you want to go even if you've done it many times before. Methinks a screenshot is in order.

dkmarsh #32717 01/29/15 01:43 AM

Thanks for correcting my path.

I agree that a screenshot is in order, but iPhoto's failure to launch when the iPhone is plugged in (Is that its default behavior?) remains curious.

Methinks a face-to-face, preferably with a "Genius", would be kevs's most productive approach.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #32718 01/29/15 01:44 AM

Quote:
When I put cord from the iphone to the computer, direct --no hub, open itunes, which opens fine, I don't see the phone icon.

You don't see the icon circled in red in this screenshot?

dkmarsh #32719 01/29/15 01:50 AM

If nothing else, your screenshot has made me send up a prayer to Bruce "The Math God" (Is there a computer god yet?) that my iTunes 8.2.1 runs forever.

artie505 #32720 01/29/15 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
… iPhoto's failure to launch when the iPhone is plugged in (Is that its default behavior?) remains curious.

Not necessarily. iPhoto launching is in fact the default response, but that can be changed with Image Capture. Because of the ‘contextual control’ pandemic infesting Yosemite, kevs has to connect his phone to see the relevant popup menu at the bottom of the (DEVICES) column on the left of IC’s window. Since iPhoto didn’t launch when he connected his iPhone, I suspect the popup’s setting is No Application or something other than iPhoto. If it is iPhoto, things would seem to be seriously messed up.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32721 01/29/15 02:31 AM

> ...the ‘contextual control’ pandemic infesting Yosemite....

I know I can't hide out in Snowy forever, but stuff like that makes me want to try. (Great word, infesting! smile )

kevs reeeally needs to take this problem to a real person.

artie505 #32742 01/29/15 07:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, I tested my cord, then itunes did launch ok, though the icon for the iphone in upper left is very subtle!

Funny, I clicked on the photos tab (in itunes),on the left and it said something like, "you can download your photos from the cloud", but it did not say how to do that!

Still stumped on iphoto, I download it from the app store, click on it nothing happens.

Some progress.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard