FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Removing an App
#32618 01/26/15 09:31 PM
OP Offline

Back in 8/07/10, I was having problems getting rid of a coupon installer. I was told by Artie (Hi Artie) first thing I'd try (on a lark) is launching /Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility, selecting the disk image, and clicking on "Unmount" to see if that works.

I'm trying to get rid of an Evernote window that pops up every time I go to print something. I used App Cleaner and still had Evernote stuff on my computer. I then drug everything I could find about Evernote into the trash. I still have the problem. I can't find an uninstaller. I have been in contact with Evernote but so far not so much help.

I went to Disk Utility, but there is nothing talking about dismounting a disk. And if there were, would it be the hard drive? That's all that shows up on Disk Utility.

Any ideas on where else I can look under the hood to get rid of this thing? The DMG image pops up on my desktop. I click eject and it goes away temporarily. Once, when I clicked on reveal in finder and found more stuff, I tried to remove it, and it said I could not put it in the trash because it could not be removed. Today I tried it and it disappeared from Finder but the window (that window that tells you to how to install the app by dragging it to the app folder) showed up again when I tried to print as a test.

I hope all I've said has given someone a clue as to what this could be caused by.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Removing an App
plantsower #32619 01/26/15 09:40 PM

Hi, Rita,

I first ran into Evernote today when my daughter sent me her itinerary for her trip to Spain (which has fallen victim to the snow for a coupl'a days), and I must say that I'm not at all in love with its GUI and have no intention of installing it unless it somehow becomes necessary.

Meantime... Maybe one or more of these uninstall Evernote links will help you.

Good luck. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #32620 01/26/15 10:36 PM

Evernote publishes uninstall instructions here. Personally I love Evernote and if I did not have it I would have to invent something like it. Not only that the cost is right.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #32621 01/26/15 10:43 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. I ran this search myself but I will read more of them to get some help. Thanks a bunch.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #32622 01/26/15 10:44 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joemike:

I had previously read this and also contacted Evernote. Nothing is working to get rid of this.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32623 01/26/15 10:58 PM

I don't understand why you can't find where the .dmg lives on your Mac. What do you see when you click to reveal it? Can you post a screenshot?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #32624 01/26/15 11:09 PM

Are you sure it is a disk image that is popping up on your desktop? Unless you somehow have the Evernote installer lying around there should not be an Evernote Disk Image anywhere on your system much less one that pops up when you try to print something. The only Evernote association with the Printing is a Save PDF to Evernote option under the PDF menu in the print dialog.

If you have OnyX, Cocktail, or TinkerTool System you might try rebuilding the Launch Services database. That is seldom needed in recent OS X releases, but in the past a damaged Launch Services database has been known to cause some otherwise inexplicable application launch glitches. In any case it rebuilding the Launch Services database will not do any harm.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #32625 01/27/15 12:46 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't understand why you can't find where the .dmg lives on your Mac. What do you see when you click to reveal it? Can you post a screenshot?

Okay, here are my screen shots.

Evernote in Finder

Desktop
after attempting to print something.

The print dialog box also shows up, but I took it off before I did the screen shot.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32626 01/27/15 01:04 AM

OK, so what you're seeing is, indeed an open Evernote .dmg.

If you go to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app while it's open and click on the .dmg itself you'll see the path to where it lives down below, (Edit:) and you can delete it and see what happens.

Last edited by artie505; 01/27/15 01:06 AM.

artie505 #32627 01/27/15 01:11 AM
OP Offline

OK, so what you're seeing is, indeed an open Evernote .dmg.

If you go to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app while it's open and click on the .dmg itself you'll see the path to where it lives down below, (Edit:) and you can delete it and see what happens.

Okay, wait. If I open disk utility app while it's open (while what is open?) blush Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32628 01/27/15 01:19 AM

The .dmg, i.e. while your desktop looks like your screenshot.

You'll see two items in Disk Utility; the bottom one is the open disc, and the top one is the .dmg, itself.

artie505 #32629 01/27/15 01:24 AM
OP Offline

The .dmg, i.e. while your desktop looks like your screenshot.

You'll see two items in Disk Utility; the bottom one is the open disc, and the top one is the .dmg, itself.

Here is a shot of my disk utility. Do I click unmount?

Disk Utility Shot

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32630 01/27/15 01:27 AM

You've selected the wrong item.

Click on the top one...it's the .dmg, itself, and you'll see the path to where it lives down below.

Post a shot of that Disk Utility screen.

artie505 #32631 01/27/15 01:34 AM
OP Offline

You've selected the wrong item.

Click on the top one...it's the .dmg, itself, and you'll see the path to where it lives down below.

Post a shot of that Disk Utility screen.

It says it's in the trash!! But it's still showing up.

Evernote Path

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32632 01/27/15 01:41 AM

OK, what happens if you now select the bottom item, click on "Unmount", and then try to empty the trash?

I don't know the mechanics, but something is obviously connecting with that .dmg, so trashing it may solve your problem.

Let's see.

Edit: I'm gonna guess that there's still some aspect of Evernote left on your Mac that's smart enough to recognize that the .dmg is still there and ask you to install the app so it can use it.

Last edited by artie505; 01/27/15 01:57 AM.

plantsower #32638 01/27/15 02:38 AM

I know this is gonna sound a little silly, but, have you tried to empty the trash?

I'm sure you know that when you throw something into the trash, it still remains on your hard drive (in the Trash) until you actually click on "Empty" (in the upper right-hand corner of the Trash window when it is open in Finder) or select "Empty Trash" when you hover over it in the Dock.....but sometimes it's the obvious things that go right past us.

If as Artie has suggested you were to unmount the popped up Evernote disk image, then all that should remain is the .dmg file that contains that image (in the trash)....it would no longer be in use, so you should be able to Empty the Trash without any issue at that point.

Let us know what happens.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
artie505 #32642 01/27/15 03:23 AM
OP Offline

OK, what happens if you now select the bottom item, click on "Unmount", and then try to empty the trash?

I don't know the mechanics, but something is obviously connecting with that .dmg, so trashing it may solve your problem.

Let's see.

Edit: I'm gonna guess that there's still some aspect of Evernote left on your Mac that's smart enough to recognize that the .dmg is still there and ask you to install the app so it can use it.

I unmounted the disk in disk utility. It then disappeared off my desktop. I emptied the trash. I clicked Command+Print and it all returned!!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MacManiac #32643 01/27/15 03:24 AM
OP Offline

Mac Maniac: Please see my answer to Artie above. What a mystery! Thanks.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32644 01/27/15 03:33 AM

Huh? Try again, and this time empty the trash with your trash window open, and let's see exactly what happens.

I can't imagine why it won't go away without even a pop-up.

Have you tried looking in /Applications/Utilities/Console > Console Messages to see if there are any "Evernote" messages?

I've heard of persistent cookies, but persistent .dmgs??? confused

Edit: After you empty the trash, but before you do anything else, look in Disk Utility to see if Evernote is present. and if you see it, make a note of its path.

Last edited by artie505; 01/27/15 03:40 AM.

artie505 #32645 01/27/15 03:43 AM
OP Offline

Huh? Try again, and this time empty the trash with your trash window open, and let's see exactly what happens.

I can't imagine why it won't go away without even a pop-up.

Have you tried looking in /Applications/Utilities/Console > Console Messages to see if there are any "Evernote" messages?

I've heard of persistent cookies, but persistent .dmgs??? confused

Is this what you mean? I didn't see any Console "messages" so I just clicked on the Console App and got what you see. I just emptied the trash with the window open even though there was no Evernote in it anymore from the last emptying.

Console

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32646 01/27/15 03:53 AM

I see that they changed Console somewhere between Snowy and Mounty, Rita; your screen is different than what I see, but you did look in the right place.

> I just emptied the trash with the window open even though there was no Evernote in it anymore from the last emptying.

And it still pops up when you try to print?

Try looking in Disk Utility; it may show up there. And if you've got EasyFind, search with it, including invisibles.

You might also try shutting down your MBP and starting it up again.

This is getting more aggravating than the snow!

(I've recently found Flash .dmgs hanging around after installation in an invisible "tmp" file, and I just wonder...)

artie505 #32648 01/27/15 04:04 AM
OP Offline

I see that they changed Console somewhere between Snowy and Mounty, Rita; your screen is different than what I see, but you did look in the right place.

> I just emptied the trash with the window open even though there was no Evernote in it anymore from the last emptying.

And it still pops up when you try to print?

Try looking in Disk Utility; it may show up there. And if you've got EasyFind, search with it, including invisibles.

You might also try shutting down your MBP and starting it up again.

This is getting more aggravating than the snow!

(I've recently found Flash .dmgs hanging around after installation in an invisible "tmp" file, and I just wonder...)

Yep, it still pops up when I print. Weird. Thanks for the Easy Find link. I didn't know such a thing existed. I was about to look for hidden files by using Terminal from watching someone on YouTube do it. Now I don't have to. I am downloading it now.

Evernote is still in Disk Utility. I restarted my machine awhile ago. Still no difference. Maybe Easy Find will find some obscure files for me. Crossing fingers. laugh

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #32649 01/27/15 05:03 AM

Hi Rita, you've presented what we like to call in the trades "A Doozy!".....

Reviewing your complete thread (and screen shots - REALLY NICE JOB with those) and trolling through the Evernote forums AND searching Google and Wikipedia for similar issues has been less than telling.

I think I may have a path for you to follow, but it's based more on intuition than fact.

If your original install was from the App Store, it sounds like there may be some history in the Evernote forums of a possible conflict that is reconciled by replacing the App Store installation with a direct download of the latest Evernote version from their website....short of a full nuke and pave reformat and reinstall from scratch for your complete System and User info on your computer, I'm thinking you might want to install Evernote (again) from the direct download and then follow the guidance in this post from the Evernote Forums to remove it and the data completely.

It seems clear to me that your prior piece-meal removal process left some legacy hidden component....the process above should properly overcome that (I hope).

Just remember, that when you go to install from any other source than the App Store, you will have to go into the System Preferences Security prefpane and allow the install.....

Good luck with this one and let us know.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
plantsower #32651 01/27/15 07:13 AM

Where does Disk Utility now tell you that Evernote lives if it's no longer in the trash? What's the path to it?

Edit: And what other pieces of Evernote does EasyFind find? (Screenshot, please.)

Edit 2: Apropos of my post to MacManiac, will you please switch from list view to column view for Finder and let us see what the root of your HD looks like...that is the column that shows Applications, Library, System, and Users. (Like this .) If there's a "Trash" in there, please click on it so we can see exactly what's in it.

Edit 3: While you're in column view, create a folder on your desktop and then delete it so we can see if it goes to the same place.

I think we may be getting somewhere.

Last edited by artie505; 01/27/15 11:25 AM.

MacManiac #32652 01/27/15 09:35 AM

The path to Evernote displayed in Rita's screenshot just registered in my head... /Trash/Evernote...

What is /Trash? I can neither find nor create it in Snowy; is it something new?

I'll guess that when Rita reports back with Evernote's current path it'll be the same /Trash path (Edit: and that that's why it didn't go away when she emptied the trash).

Last edited by artie505; 01/27/15 10:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard