for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Any thoughts on this?
#32362 12/31/14 07:35 AM
OP Online

My OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro Portable enclosure was as pretty as all get-out, and it moved my test data at 575Mbps via FW800, but...

In this old video, you can see (at a bit past 2 minutes) how snugly the circuit board fits into the heatsink, while in this new pic you can see that it "fits" (and I use the term awfully loosely)...well, awfully loosely. (It's more or less stable in the fully assembled enclosure, but it's ersatz stability; it rattles around if you shake the unit.)

Per OWC tech support, "...the video was...using an older circuit board which is a bit thicker than the current board we are using. Our current board is within our specifications though."

It appears, then, that OWC changed the board's specs at some point without correspondingly re-engineering the heatsink (presumably to save money).

As far as I'm concerned, well-engineered devices should never have loose-fitting components!

Is that unreasonable?

PS: It's to OWC's credit that when a replacement enclosure confirmed that my problem was with a designed-in flaw, and "[it's] within our specifications" didn't satisfy me, they unilaterally upgraded me at no further cost, and after 6 1/2 months.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Any thoughts on this?
artie505 #32363 12/31/14 02:12 PM

IMHO parts rattling around in a mobile enclosure are undesirable. However depending on the device very well engineered devices may well have loose fitting components. In fact that may be an intentional part of the design. A classic example is the M16 rifle. It rattles like crazy and is designed that way so that dirt, sand, mud, etc. that will get into the mechanism do not jam the weapon.

Just a side note on heat sinks in external enclosures. For many years heat was considered the mortal enemy of hard drives, but Google Labs extensive study of hard drive failure concluded there was no provable link between heat and drive failure. I just got a neat little external enclosure from OWC that is entirely made of plastic and has no heat sink at all. It does have some tiny ventilation holes but not enough for any serious air circulation. I haven't had it long enough to draw any conclusions about drive life, but it works well and costs less that $20. But it does not rattle. grin

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32366 12/31/14 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I just got a neat little external enclosure from OWC that is entirely made of plastic and has no heat sink at all. It does have some tiny ventilation holes but not enough for any serious air circulation. I haven't had it long enough to draw any conclusions about drive life, but it works well and costs less that $20.

If you're referring to their On-The-Go enclosure, I've had one since September 2012 with a Seagate 320 GB drive in it, and can confirm that heat is not an issue. Not even close.

And, of course, there is the bonus of it being so funky looking.

Last edited by ryck; 12/31/14 10:45 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #32370 01/01/15 08:44 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the insight into M16s; it almost makes me want to enlist so I can tear one down and see what's what. (Really; I'm that curious!)

My replacement OWC Mercury Elite Pro uses an "heat dissipating (aluminum) enclosure" rather than a heatsink, and it wasn't terribly hot after a 2 hour surface scan (which would be an interesting test of your new enclosure).

Last edited by artie505; 01/01/15 11:03 AM. Reason: Correct wording

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard