for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Auto logIn does not persist between restarts
#32318 12/26/14 11:01 AM
OP Offline

I just realized/discovered that when logging in to FTM, MacRumors, or most other sites via my iPhone, that I must reenter my SN and PW.

AutoFill works properly, but after shutting down my phone and restarting, the next time I visit FTM or such, I must again log in., e.g., previous log ins do not persist between restarts (as it does with the Mac OS).

Is this normal or did the wassail get to me (too)?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Auto logIn does not persist between restarts
Pendragon #32319 12/26/14 12:44 PM

I believe that's normal. That's been my experience, anyway.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #32320 12/26/14 04:05 PM
OP Offline

Many thanks, Tacit.

Now I know that it is not that moi who is at fault, but even if I am, at least I'm in good company.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #32322 12/26/14 10:01 PM

Persistent login in iOS is dependent entirely on the individual application I have applications that….
  • Require userid and password entry every time
  • Remember the userid but not the password
  • will not permit pasting either the id or password
  • after setup allow login with a PIN number only
  • will accept a thumb/fingerpint as logon identification.
  • After the initial logon will remember both userid and password and automatically log you n when the app is launched.
My personal preference is the thumb/finger print logon authentication. I it is also the least frequent pattern but hopefully that will change as app developers adapt to thumb/fingerprint logon. It is dead easy to use and arguably the most secure.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32335 12/28/14 12:02 PM
OP Offline

The fingerprint authentication seems ideal (I have no such device), but until that approach becomes ubiquitous, I can't help but wonder why the Mac OS approach is not incorporated in the iOS. confused

Harv

Pendragon #32504 01/16/15 04:55 PM

May have something to do with our over-zealous law enforcement as of late. Did you know, the police can now force you to use your finger to unlock your phone so they can rifle through it? They can't force you to give your passcode though. They're probably twisting the legislation that allows them to take fingerprints to make this legal.

so yeah... touch-id is less secure than passcode. not that a lot of them don't already have software that will break past most or all mobile security as it is, but for now touch-id just makes it easer and quicker for them to invade your privacy.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard