for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Warning - tracking cookies
artie505 #32326 12/27/14 02:37 PM

And the answer is still the same. It costs the ISPs more money to provide fixed IP addresses so what do you see as the ISPs incentive for charging less for the more costly fixed IP address? confused

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32327 12/27/14 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
And the answer is still the same. It costs the ISPs more money to provide fixed IP addresses so what do you see as the ISPs incentive for charging less for the more costly fixed IP address? confused (Emphasis added)

But the question is...

Quote:
...why ISPs don't allow users to opt for dynamic addresses (at less cost to the ISPs)...? (Emphasis added)

I don't doubt that they could charge enough for the cheaper service to keep it at least as profitable as the more expensive service.

Last edited by artie505; 12/27/14 03:39 PM. Reason: Add emphasis

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32328 12/27/14 03:44 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
But the question is...
Quote:
...why ISPs don't allow users to opt for dynamic addresses (at less cost to the ISPs)...? (Emphasis added)

I don't doubt that they could charge enough for the cheaper service to keep it at least as profitable as the more expensive service.

If, as suggested, dynamic IP addresses are ISPs' defaults, then the only "option" is for static – at a premium. The cost of the former is probably dictated by market conditions in every arena where service is offered.

grelber #32329 12/27/14 03:53 PM

We're gettin' closer!

Why isn't dynamic service offered, i.e. why can't users opt for it, in all markets?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32330 12/27/14 04:36 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Why isn't dynamic service offered, i.e. why can't users opt for it, in all markets?

I thought that the gist of the conversation is that it is by default (as the lesser-priced service which is the ISP equivalent of a "loss leader").

Are you claiming that you don't have such (by default)?

grelber #32332 12/28/14 06:40 AM

Your post prompted me to investigate, because I've never seen a dynamic IP address offer from Verizon.

As far as I know, I've had a static address since I signed up for Verizon DSL, and I don't recall being offered a dynamic option at the outset (although that was a looong time ago, so I wouldn't bet on it).

The office that presumably deals with such stuff is closed for the weekend, so no more 'til Monday or so.

Update: Well, I'll be damned! My IP address is dynamic. blush

Now, do I want to get into turning my modem on and off regularly for the minimal, if any, benefit to be derived?

artie505 #32333 12/28/14 08:24 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Now, do I want to get into turning my modem on and off regularly for the minimal, if any, benefit to be derived?

I take it that your DSL is "always on".
My standard dialup via fax modem, as slow as it is, "resolves" that problem.

grelber #32334 12/28/14 09:23 AM

It's always on. (I was under the naive misapprehension that toggling AirPort would change my address.)

My modem is a nuisance to get to...on the floor, out of the way, and when I toggled it just now I had a devil of a time getting it back on, so (my insurance notwithstanding) I'll be "static" (for all intents and purposes) unless somebody's got a helluva reason to go dynamic.

Edit: I wonder how the pool of available "dynamic" addresses is affected when everybody's on DSL and, chances are, their modems never get turned off?

Last edited by artie505; 12/28/14 09:31 AM.

artie505 #32336 12/28/14 04:20 PM

ISPs, including Verizon, typically set a time limit on an IP lease after which the modem will automatically and invisibly to you request and receive a new IP lease. When your network is up and running 24x385 it is not uncommon that in effect you renew the lease on the same external IP address, but that is NOT guaranteed. By-the-way your local router typically uses the same dynamic (leased) internal IP address scheme for your Local Area Network.

So to summarize there is no benefit to be gained by restarting the modem to lease a new IP address or renew the lease on the same IP address you already had. The ISP does a more than adequate job of taking care of itself and NAT does a decent job of shielding your computer from outside malefactors.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32338 12/28/14 07:49 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... When your network is up and running 24x385 ....

That's an unusually long year. smirk

grelber #32339 12/29/14 12:36 AM

I can't even blame that one on the spell checker, so I will just say it sometimes feels that long. grin

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32340 12/29/14 06:45 AM

Thanks for the explanation; I can now track my IP address (Edit: which changed when I toggled my modem yesterday), see what happens, and report back...eventually.

It seems, then, that with broadband routers that a (very?) significant percentage of users (Edit: probably) never turn off there may be almost no savings to an ISP as respects dedicated hardware allocations, because the pool of dynamic addresses must be almost as large as the pool of users.

The ISP's percentage in using dynamic addresses seems to be that users who require static addresses must request and pay for them.

Last edited by artie505; 12/29/14 07:17 AM.

joemikeb #32445 01/09/15 02:27 AM

I have been using MacScan for tracking cookies and spyware. See this web site:

http://macscan.securemac.com

I'm very happy with it.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard