Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"No mountable file systems" on .dmg download
#32186 12/18/14 12:15 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
As a side note, if you have a .dmg file (or any other file you downloaded from the Internet) and you want to see where it came from, click once on it and go to File->Get Info. In the "More Info" section will be the exact URL the file was downloaded from.

I've got a 2.6MB .dmg file and under More Info there appears simply "--".
Moreover, when I try to open/mount it, I get a window with the message "No mountable file systems" — something which I've never seen before. Contacting the company's IT support, I'm advised to set my Security & Privacy setting to allow downloads from Anywhere, which has always been the case — so that wouldn't seem to be the problem. IT support has not followed up.

Edit: Originally a reply to tacit in the "completer.app popup?" topic, this post and subsequent replies were detached to form a new thread.

Last edited by cyn; 12/19/14 02:01 PM. Reason: Moved branch to separate thread with new subject line.
Re: "No mountable file systems" on .dmg download
grelber #32187 12/18/14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I've got a 2.6MB .dmg file and under More Info there appears simply "--".
Moreover, when I try to open/mount it, I get a window with the message "No mountable file systems" — something which I've never seen before. Contacting the company's IT support, I'm advised to set my Security & Privacy setting to allow downloads from Anywhere, which has always been the case — so that wouldn't seem to be the problem. IT support has not followed up.

Sounds like the IT department is either not listening to what you are saying or they are blowing you off. No mountable file system has absolutely nothing to do with your security settings but I suspect it is a problem their IT department runs into pretty commonly. The real problem is almost always one of two things.
  1. A download error in which case downloading the file a second time is almost always a sovereign cure or…
  2. An error in building the .dmg in which case the only cure is the originator has to rebuild the .dmg and you have to download it again.
It is an error I have encountered many times over the years — even in downloads from Apple. Thinking back on it, I don't recall seeing that error for at least a couple of years or more. Maybe since Mountain Lion but I would not swear to that and I am not propounding a cause and effect either.

By-the-way I have my download settings set to Mac App Store and identified developers and in Mavericks and Yosemite if a downloaded application won't install because it is not from the App Store or an identified developer after acknowledging the refusal, if you open System Preferences → security & Privacy a note will appear in the System Preferences window that application X was not installed do you wish to continue with the install anyway, click on Continue and the installer reappears and the installation proceeds without further interruption. I leave it that way just in case I get careless as it makes me stop and think about what I am doing.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32188 12/18/14 07:09 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

That's pretty much my thought. I've downloaded the .dmg file repeatedly, a couple times via a PC and a couple times via my iMac. Same result. The company's IT support stated:
"The accelerator setup file is working fine, it's just not
digitally signed, that's why when you run it you are getting an error. You need to go to system preferences then click on Security & Privacy then choose the option anywhere under allow apps downloaded from:"
I've disabused them of their approach — so far to no avail.

With regard to your last comment: Every file that I download via the Internet is scrutinized/intercepted by Mac OS X Lion and I'm asked every time whether I want to open (and install) it.

grelber #32194 12/18/14 05:11 PM

That's pretty much my thought. I've downloaded the .dmg file repeatedly, a couple times via a PC and a couple times via my iMac. Same result. The company's IT support stated:
"The accelerator setup file is working fine, it's just not
digitally signed, that's why when you run it you are getting an error. You need to go to system preferences then click on Security & Privacy then choose the option anywhere under allow apps downloaded from:"
I've disabused them of their approach — so far to no avail.
Obviously they do not want you to use their product or they are incompetent. Rather than contacting tech support you might try customer service, or even sales and tell them the full story. From your description I share your opinion that the problem is the originator's but by any chance have you tried opening the dmg from a test account or on another Mac?

With regard to your last comment: Every file that I download via the Internet is scrutinized/intercepted by Mac OS X Lion and I'm asked every time whether I want to open (and install) it.
Yes and with the exception of App Store downloads that happens on my Macs as well. What I am talking about is an additional layer of security that blocks the Apple Installer App itself from installing the code and in this case even though the Installer has quit, System Preferences → Security & Privacy becomes aware of the blocked attempt and offers the user an opportunity to override the block and if the block is overridden then restarts the Installer App at the point at which the block occurred with no further action required by the user.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/18/14 05:17 PM. Reason: Spell checker and I both missed that one

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32195 12/18/14 06:17 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

In the interim the company's IT support got back to me and advised that the file had been rebuilt (although he didn't admit to such). I was able to download AcceleratorSetup.dmg and noted that it is about half the size of the .dmg file which didn't work. I am at a loss to understand why I wasn't informed that the file had been rebuilt.

When I opened the .dmg file and attempted to install the Accelerator, I was warned that it wanted to "make changes" to my OS. Before I allow an application to be installed, I want to know exactly what changes the Accelerator is trying to make to my OS and I want to know how this might affect the security of my system (which would include unwanted items such as surreptitious feedback, tracking cookies and similar undesirable components). I refuse to install any application which might compromise my privacy and security.
We'll see if I get an appropriate response.

grelber #32199 12/18/14 09:34 PM

Sometimes (More often that not?) the "changes" apps want to make are benign...nothing more than placing files in /Library, which invariably requires an admin password even though the "changes" are not changes to OS X as such.

I frequently look inside d/l's that resolve to .pkg format with unpkg (freeware) or Pacifist (shareware) to see precisely what they're going to install, and where.

Last edited by artie505; 12/18/14 09:39 PM. Reason: Cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #32201 12/18/14 10:46 PM

The ones that cause me the greatest heartburn are those that require a restart ofter installation. That usually means kernel extensions or other deeply embedded detritus. Happily CleanApp does a pretty good job of tracking that sort of thing if I have to remove something.

This is one more reason I have less and less software in my system that does not come through the App Store. That way I am assured Apple has vetted the software carefully and has a very strong interest in keeping the installs clean and the apps running within well defined boundaries and clean uninstalls are a piece of cake. It aint all beer and skittles however because Apple's restrictions imposes bounds on the developers and sometimes prevents them from doing something I would like, but at least it is one less thing for me to worry about.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #32204 12/18/14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I frequently look inside d/l's that resolve to .pkg format with unpkg (freeware) or Pacifist (shareware) to see precisely what they're going to install, and where.

Since you're suspicious enough to like those two package utilities, you might also like Suspicious Package, a QuickLook plugin that spills the goods without opening anything. tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32207 12/19/14 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut

Since you're suspicious enough to like those two package utilities, you might also like Suspicious Package, a QuickLook plugin that spills the goods without opening anything. tongue

"Frequently" was quite the overstatement, and curiosity is far more of a factor than suspicion.

In most instances, I look inside packages because they're installing things that seemingly ought to be installed by drag & drop.

And I, of course, also use Pacifist for far more important reasons than examining packages.

For no particular reason, I tend to use unpkg for non-Apple packages and Pacifist for Apple packages; I remember having seen Suspicious Package, but I'm not sure why I didn't d/l it before just now.

I've never done any benchmarking, but now that I've got all three utilities on my deuced Mac(hina) I'll see how they handle the OS X 10.6.8 Combo.

More later.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #32208 12/19/14 09:48 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut

I checked into SP and downloaded version 1.3 (for Lion). It then requested insertion into QuickLook in Library. No such luck: I can't find a QuickLook folder anywhere (not in home library or general library); but I know it's there somewhere (since my Activity Monitor references it).
Any thoughts as to how to access it?

grelber #32209 12/19/14 10:10 AM

I don't think OS X creates the folder by default; you've got to do it yourself when/if you need it... ~/Library/QuickLook.

artie505 #32210 12/19/14 10:20 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

You caught me before I could delete my previous query.
I (inadvertently) found all my libraries and found the SP1.3 plugin in the main/top-level one. So whatever I did, it seems to have accomplished that job, although it didn't really show me anything but a snapshot of the .dmg file I wanted to examine – ie, no details of its innards. So I'm not sure how valuable SP is.

grelber #32211 12/19/14 10:24 AM

Your misunderstanding SP; it doesn't look inside .dmgs; it looks inside the .pkgs that live inside some of them.

(If you've got an Apple updater, for instance, laying around, try SP on it.)

Edit: I don't think there's ever any danger attached to opening up a .dmg unless you do something stupid afterwards.

Last edited by artie505; 12/19/14 12:15 PM.

artie505 #32212 12/19/14 12:32 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Your misunderstanding SP; it doesn't look inside .dmgs; it looks inside the .pkgs that live inside some of them.

I tried it on a bunch of .dmg files opened to reveal .pkg.
Nothing but a "summary" window on QuickLook.

grelber #32214 12/19/14 03:27 PM

Perhaps its because you've got the plugin in /Library/QuickLook rather than in ~/Library/QuickLook?

I see this...precisely what I expected.

Edit: Yup! Try moving the plugin.

Last edited by artie505; 12/19/14 03:56 PM.

artie505 #32216 12/19/14 11:45 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I have no clue how to do that or where to put it. The only place I have a QuickLook folder is on my HD under Applications.
Library and home folders haven't got such.
I can find no intelligence on the matter in Pogue's Missing Manual either.

grelber #32217 12/20/14 12:01 AM

/Apps/QuickLook? I've got absolutely no idea what that may be about.

All else aside, though, just (do as I said in post #32209) create a new folder, name it "QuickLook" (no quotes), place it in ~/Library, and drag the SP plugin from wherever it is now into that folder. You'll wind up with ~/Library/QuickLook/Suspicious Package.qlgenerator, and selecting a .pkg and hitting your space bar will reveal the .pkg's contents.

Edit:
Originally Posted By: SP.dmg > ReadMe
To install, find or create the QuickLook folder inside the Library folder, under your home folder. (On Lion, hold down Option and choose Go ➤ Library to get to your Library folder.) Drag the Suspicious Package icon into the QuickLook folder. You may have to log out and log in again for Quick Look to recognize the plugin.

(If you want Suspicious Package to be available to all users on your computer — and you have administrator privileges — you can copy it to the QuickLook folder inside the top-level Library folder instead.)

Last edited by artie505; 12/20/14 12:08 AM.

artie505 #32218 12/20/14 12:17 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Once again, you beat me to the punch!
I decided to create a new QuickLook folder in my home folder Library and stuck the addon in it.
When I tried to run it on a couple of .pkgs nothing but the standard window popped up. Then I remembered your comment about its only working on some items. So I ran it on a Mac update .dmg > .pkg and got exactly what you pointed out.
So, many thanks again on all fronts!

grelber #32219 12/20/14 12:36 AM

Happy to hear that you've got it working.

> When I tried to run it on a couple of .pkgs nothing but the standard window popped up.

I wonder why? I'll experiment later and see if I can figure anything out.

Update: Looks like it's a developer option; NoSleep 1.3 does not respond to SP, but v 1.4 does. My (2) other .dmgs that open up to .pkg/.mpkg respond as expected.

Update 2: Now, I dunno... My Pacifist plugin works with NoSleep 1.3 even though SP does not. confused

Last edited by artie505; 12/20/14 01:12 AM. Reason: Updates

artie505 #32220 12/20/14 06:19 AM

More on QuickLook generators...

Oops! I totally forgot that I also had Pacifist's QL plugin installed.

From initiating the transaction, unpkg took 85 sec to open the OS X 10.6.8 Combo Updater in hierarchical form in a folder on my desktop; Pacifist, Pacifist's QL plugin, and Suspicious Package took 30, 20, and 8 sec, respectively, to display its contents. (The unpkg and SP hierarchies were in traditional OS X file system format; both Pacifist hierarchies were in its format.)

I've now experimented a bit and found that when both the Pacifist QL plugin and SP are in ~/Library/QuickLook, OS X defaults to SP...wonder why? (*)

Both unpkg and SP have got functionality that Pacifist lacks: unpkg enables the installation of individual components of a .pkg/.mpkg via drag & drop (Caveat: I've never looked to see how it deals with permissions.), and SP displays the contents of included installer scripts (Huh? Wha'fo'?).

After considering functionality, performance, actual usage to date, and my being an inveterate housecleaner, I've decided to keep Pacifist and its QL plugin and uninstall unpkg and SP.

(*) Edit: Charles Srstka, Pacifist's developer doesn't know.

Last edited by artie505; 12/20/14 04:11 PM.

artie505 #32221 12/20/14 11:45 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

SP works smoothly and swiftly (enough) for me.
On the other hand, unpkg (4.5, a half decade old) doesn't seem to possess any useful functionality; I'm deep-sixing it.
I haven't tried Pacifist, but given SP's functionality, I'll probably stick with that.

grelber #32224 12/20/14 04:15 PM

In addition to laying out the contents of a package in hierarchical form so you can examine them, unpkg enables you to drag & drop individual elements, but in as long as I had it on my deuced Mac(hina), I never had any real need for the functionality.

Pacifist is a-whole-nother animal, and an extremely useful one! (Read about it in its MacUpdate blurb.)

Last edited by artie505; 12/20/14 04:22 PM. Reason: Expand

artie505 #32230 12/20/14 07:54 PM

... SP displays the contents of included installer scripts (Huh? Wha'fo'?).

I'm surprised you wonder about that functionality. It'd be my main reason to keep SP around, as those scripts can tell you where they're going to put what before you commit, something that may not be obvious from the package contents alone. This may keep you properly suspicious (and safe) whenever you run into installer packages you might have allowed despite a less than perfect provenance, or even with a perfect one.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32236 12/21/14 08:00 AM

I confess to looking at the scripts and trashing SP immediately after my eyes rolled forward in my head, but on your word, I reinstalled it to see if I could divine anything from them.

And I can't! I see nothing in any script that tells ME where anything is going.

In fact, since the scripts are labeled "preinstall" and "postinstall", it sounds like they're run before and after the "Moving Items Into Place" phase of an installation and may not even have anything to do with it.

Bottom line for me is this: I can readily understand the hierarchical display of a package's contents, and if some developer is clever enough to write a script that subverts that hierarchy, I most certainly ain't the guy whose gonna discover it. (What do you think "may not be obvious from the package contents alone"?)

On the other hand, if you'd care to post a script and annotate it as to what's what and what's happening when, I'd be much obliged and pleased to learn something new.

In the meantime, though, Pacifist and its multiple functionalities is more than sufficient for my purposes.

artie505 #32253 12/21/14 09:31 PM

The pre-install scripts may, for example, move some files/folders aside. (They can do other things, but I'm going to focus on gleaning from the scripts what gets installed where.) For example, the pre-install script for QuickTime Player checks to see if you already have version 7 of QuickTime Player at /Applications/"QuickTime Player.app". If so, it moves it to /Applications/Utilities/"QuickTime Player 7.app" so it won't be overwritten during the "Moving Items Into Place" phase. Similarly, the newer "iWork" applications rescue older versions into /Applications/"iWork '09".

The post-install scripts can do things that don't fit under the umbrella of "Moving Items". For example, this is where ACLs would be added. (Items in an archive cannot have ACLs.) Ditto with suid/sgid (set user/group id); items in an archive will have their suid/sgid bits stripped during unarchiving, so if they're needed they need to be added back in a post-install script. A post-install script can also add items to the Dock and/or the Finder sidebar and/or Login Items.

Incompatible pre-existing items can be removed during post-install. (For example, Lion's installer moves 32-bit kexts into /"Incompatible Software".)

All of this pre-install/post-install moving of files around definitely falls under the umbrella of "what gets installed where", but you won't find the items being moved inside the package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard