An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where's complete explanation of how to use FTP?
#3125 09/07/09 12:24 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I want to enable someone with Internet Access to send me about 80Mb of photo images via FTP. Security is desirable, but it is not a paramount issue here. I've followed the instructions in AppleMenu>System Preferences>Sharing. I checked File Sharing and selected the Share Files and Folders Using FTP option. The option gives an Internet address for "outsiders" and another address for local machines to access my FTP server. What is missing is an understanding of how people use the addresses for accessing my machine's shared folder so they can either deposit files or copy files already residing there.

Will someone direct me to a place that provides specific, step by step instructions to accomplish this amazing feat? I've ordered David Pogue's The Missing Manual for Snow Leopard, but that is at least five weeks away from release and there's no guarantee he'll cover it there.

I've listed my current equipment in the signature on my profile, but the reader apparently needs to check the radio button in preferences before he/she can see it. I'm running Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Where's complete explanation of how to use FTP?
JoBoy #3137 09/07/09 01:52 AM

I wouldn't recommend opening FTP to the internet. It's not a secure protocol: passwords are sent in plain text, and there is no encryption. The easiest way to share 80 MB is through the cloud via one of dozens of free websites. MediaFire and YouSendIt are two of my old favorites.

Another great method is via a shared folder in a free Dropbox account. I try to namedrop Dropbox whenever I can (pun intended) -- I love it! And if you sign up via the link I included, I'll even get some bonus storage for referral (hint, hint)... grin

Last edited by donikatz; 09/07/09 02:06 AM.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
Re: Where's complete explanation of how to use FTP?
donikatz #3139 09/07/09 02:04 AM

If you do insist opening an FTP server to the internet, the easiest access method is via a dedicated FTP client. A great free one for OS X is Cyberduck (they have a beta that is 10.6 compatible), while Windows users can download the free FileZilla.

You can also access an FTP server via web browser or Finder, but I almost always prefer the ease of configuring a dedicated client. Usually all you need to provide is an IP address (or domain name), username & password.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
Re: Where's complete explanation of how to use FTP
donikatz #3205 09/07/09 05:52 PM

I have tried Fetch on a Mac and it did not work. Thanks for the Cyberduck; I will give it a try next time! Concerning Windows, Internet Explorer has a great FTP capability built in and one does not need an external client. I wish a Mac browser would be like that. Even Opera is not great in this domain.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/07/09 05:53 PM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #3210 09/07/09 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Concerning Windows, Internet Explorer has a great FTP capability built in and one does not need an external client. I wish a Mac browser would be like that. Even Opera is not great in this domain.

well, if you have Firefox, there's FireFTP - The Free FTP Client for Mozilla Firefox

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
I have tried Fetch on a Mac and it did not work. Thanks for the Cyberduck; I will give it a try next time!

fwiw, Fetch works fine for me, and as does Cuberduck, and FileZilla has a Mac version, which, if you can get over the ugliness, is a very powerful program, and features side by side windows, much like Transmit. there is also the terrific ForkLift – the most advanc...orkLift, which is almost enough to make me pay for an ftp client!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
donikatz #3251 09/07/09 10:06 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry for the late reply. I'm trying to digest the suggestions. I'll start by looking at the recommended solutions. Thanks a lot.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard