FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contacts screw up
#31940 12/01/14 12:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Two months ago I moved over from Outlook to mail.

I successfully got all my 400 contacts from Outlook to my laptop contacts. I activated the cloud and waited for the desktop contacts to populate to 400. But only 300 populated.

Why icould did not populate the desktop to 400 I still have no idea. I could not solve this, so I so just manually put the 400 on the desktop and thought everything after that was fine — especially since the current count matches perfectly between desktop and laptop. (476 each)

But, alas, I just got my first iphone, and low and behold, the iphone contact has only 300. Which shows that 100 never really made it to the icloud. Where those othere 100 are in the universe I have no idea. But they are on the laptop/ desktop, but now are different, and never synched.

In short, what I need to do now, is export (from either the desktop lets say), 476 current , clear/ delete everything from the cloud, and then import the 476 to the cloud and then all devices will hopefully be happy and synced. ( I may want to clear also the laptop also, and hope it populates perfectly from the cloud)

Honestly, I have no idea how to do this, and unless someone is very conversant here, I'll probably end up having to do a genius bar appointment -- especially since I was so let down by icloud in the first place which got me in this mess. thanks.

Re: Contacts screw up
kevs #31951 12/01/14 04:29 PM

a genius would be one option... calling applecare would be the other I'd recommend. I've had to spend time on the phone with them more than once to untangle a MobileMe/icloud syncing issue. Sometimes I worry about the iq of the people at the genius bar, I have more confidence in people on the applecare number, who also can transfer you to a "senior advisor" aka "one of the guys here that REALLY knows what he's doing".

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #31955 12/01/14 06:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks V, I got it from a Verizon store, do I have apple care?

(Verizon has their own sort of coach help line as I bought the insurance from them.. have not tested that out)

This is a very hairy issue so yeah, I would want some senior person on it.

kevs #31960 12/01/14 11:13 PM

No matter where you purchase an Apple product the warranty coverage is from Apple (you can read the warranty here). Apple also provides all purchasers with 90 days free Complimentary Support.

Applecare is a separate purchase that has to be made in the first year of ownership and is only available from Apple through the brick and mortar Apple Store or by phone at (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase). Some retailers do sell their own warranty insurance in lieu of Applecare, but the policies I have seen cover hardware issues, not software or firmware. If your iPhone is less than a year old I would encourage you to invest in Applecare to extend warranty and support coverage an additional two years. Over the years I have received three or four new or factory rebuilt iPhones thanks to Applecare and while I have not personally availed myself of support on iOS/software issues, my wife and several of our friends have and have uniformly been well pleased. Most people I know who bought their iPhone from a phone company and have had problems, ended up going to Apple to get their problems resolved.

FWIW no one at the Apple Store genius desk has ever asked, "where did you buy this phone?" They just tested it and either fixed it or checked the warranty/Applecare status and handed me a new replacement.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/01/14 11:28 PM. Reason: Correct Applecare purchase options

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31961 12/02/14 12:10 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, cool, I will open a case now with Apple on this contact issue.

I just added on for $11 month the Verizon insurance on the phone, they say it covers everything: theft, water, etc

How much is Applecare, and do you think it's better? Would it cover all that stuff?

kevs #31967 12/02/14 06:50 PM

There will be some duplication with Verizon insurance and AppleCare, although the former is more likely to be hardware related, while Applecare will cover hardware and software/system issues. The out-of-pocket replacement costs may also differ between the two.

In my experience, if you walk in with anything other than a completely dead phone, Verizon will tell you to talk to Apple first.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #31971 12/02/14 07:12 PM

Applecare for the iPhone is $99 for two years coverage which extends the warranty and the complementary support to a total of three years and is attached to the device and not the owner of the device so it transfers to subsequent owners transparently. Whether it is better or not I cannot say as I have no experience with the Verizon coverage. I can say Applecare support has been absolutely pain free and given I have received at least four replacement iPhones over the years I would have to say it is well worth what I paid for it.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/02/14 07:15 PM. Reason: add comment on worth

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31975 12/02/14 07:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe and Ira.
Well, yeah, it sounds like a reasonable deal.

But the Verizon covers theft, and just losing it. Would you continue with the Verizon at $120 yr also? ($11 month)

kevs #31981 12/02/14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe and Ira.
Well, yeah, it sounds like a reasonable deal.

But the Verizon covers theft, and just losing it. Would you continue with the Verizon at $120 yr also? ($11 month)

I am covered for theft loss of my iPhones, iPads, and Macs under my homeowners policy. Technically they are automatically covered under the blanket policy, but just as a belt and suspenders I listed them on the policy. I don't remember if there was an additional cost for listing them but if there were one it was negligible. Check your homeowners or renters policy and I suspect yours is either are or could be covered for theft at a LOT less than $120 per year.

Accidental damage such as glass breakage is a separate issue and you can find Apple's breakage policy for iPhones here. It is still cheaper then $120 a year.

FWIW I have receive no financial remuneration from Apple for anything. I am just a very satisfied user of Applecare. In fact, this thread prompted me to be sure I had Applecare on my month old iPhone 6 Plus and I found I did not. A trip to the local Apple Store this afternoon remedied that and even better, my wife heartily approved the $99 expenditure. Thanks for prompting me to rectify the oversight on my part.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31984 12/03/14 02:30 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, thanks.
Cool, I'll probably add the applecare, 3 full years $99

I'll call my insurance agent. I worry about me dropping the phone and losing the phone... so we'll see what they say.

But if I stick with the Verizon plan you would still recommend Apple care?

kevs #31992 12/03/14 03:24 PM

If you have Applecare and your homeowners covers theft and loss what would the Verizon insurance be buying you except a bill for $11 a month?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31993 12/03/14 05:15 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, if you leave your iphone on a park bench, or drop it on the street, or gets stolen out of the house.

Not sure on homeowner deductible.

kevs #31996 12/03/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Ok Joe, thanks.
Cool, I'll probably add the applecare, 3 full years $99

I'll call my insurance agent. I worry about me dropping the phone and losing the phone... so we'll see what they say.

But if I stick with the Verizon plan you would still recommend Apple care?

Last I looked, applecare for iPhones (aka "applecare plus"?) extended the warranty to a total of two years (not adds two years) and covered up to two accidental replacements. (and is transferrable if you get a new phone and haven't used both accidents)

has this changed?

Virtual1 #31998 12/03/14 09:06 PM

Only if this is the wrong AppleCare+.

Edit: This, too...

Originally Posted By: Linked doc
Important notes

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new iPhone. Or buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase:

At an Apple Retail Store (inspection of iPhone and proof of purchase are required)
OR call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase) (Emphasis added)

Last edited by artie505; 12/03/14 09:10 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32000 12/03/14 10:03 PM

You are correct that it makes the total package TWO years, not three as I had mistakenly reported. Additionally adding on Applecare on the iPhone requires a physical inspection of the phone, but it takes longer to check the answers on the inspection form than it takes to perform the inspection itself. (Is the glass broken? or Scratched? and does the phone turn on? is about it.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #32002 12/03/14 11:13 PM

Actually, you can purchase AppleCare+ over the phone, but it "requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase".

I think the 60 day purchase period is a more important factor, because people are accustomed to regular AppleCare, which can be purchased a year after the purchase of a new Mac.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #32033 12/08/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
You are correct that it makes the total package TWO years, not three as I had mistakenly reported.

VERY common mistake to make. It was also an issue with mac applecare, customers thinking they were buying THREE years of additional warranty from Apple, but didn't come up nearly as often as it did with the iPhone.

The really fun one is when customers would come in with a mac to repair, expecting it to be in warranty when it was not, and it was only ~1.5 yrs old. "But I bought the extended warranty!" oh, you must have forgotten to register it, do you have the receipt? Oh... "Black Tie"... that's the Greek Squad, not Apple, you'll have to take it back to Best Buy for service. "But they said this was just as good as AppleCare!" no, not really.... sorry!

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard