for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Panics
#31782 11/15/14 05:30 PM
OP Offline

I have had a number of Panic attack crashes on my MacBook and have asked at Apple stores for a possible reason, but have been told that the problem is too technical for them to comment. I would be grateful for any suggestion that might resolve the problem.

The MacBook is a 13" White with 2.13 GHz Intel core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB SDRAM. The current OS is 10.6.8.

On most attacks I have taken screenshots of the fault report code (forwarded automatically to Apple, apparently for research only) but these mean nothing to me - I have long used Macs but not deeply.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Cyderman

Last edited by cyderman; 11/15/14 05:32 PM.

Beard turned from pepper to salt, but mind still open.
Re: Panics
cyderman #31783 11/15/14 06:03 PM

I assume that you mean a kernel panic. Read Resolving Kernel Panics for tips. Also, see OS X: About kernel panics.

Last edited by jchuzi; 11/15/14 06:14 PM. Reason: added Apple page

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
cyderman #31786 11/15/14 07:12 PM

Do these "panic attacks" force you to reboot your MacBook in order to recover? If so then those are likely kernel panics as JChuzi suggests. Kernel panics are most often related to hardware or kernel extension problems and the items suggested by Jon are as good a place as any to start trouble shooting.

If these "panic attacks" do not force a reboot what you are seeing is more likely an application crash. There are lots of reasons applications crash but if you have recently upgraded to Yosemite it is highly probable the crashes are the result of applications that are out of date and not fully compatible with Yosemite. As with any upgrade to OS X there are applications that have to be updated or upgraded for compatibility with the changes in the OS. Applications purchased through the app store will be automatically updated but with non-app store applications you may be on your own to contact the developer to see if there is a new version available.

In either case the Apple stores are correct when they say the problem is too technical (or too complex) for them to comment unless you take your MacBook to the Genius Desk and allow them to troubleshoot the problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31788 11/16/14 08:04 AM
OP Offline

Very many thanks JChuzi and joemikeb - it is a reboot situation and I will certainly follow suggested links.

Beard turned from pepper to salt, but mind still open.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard