Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problem since upgrading to iOS 8.0.2
joemikeb #31562 10/20/14 03:54 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Another thought: I am now using iOS 8.0.2. Tomorrow, iOS 8.1 will be available. I also installed iTunes 12.0.1.26. It now appears to me that I probably ought to install Yosemite so as to have the full compliment of compatible apps. I don't know if that will fix the Google Maps problem on iOS 8 on my iPhone, but I believe it could be a problem if I don't have the whole suite installed. I realize the problems with early adoption, but, in my effort to restore Google Maps, I'd better go all the way and have a complete set of apps intended to be used together and then keep my mouth shut when the early adoption issues strike (unless, of course, some folks at FineTunedMac are interested in discussing issues).

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
iPhone 4S and Google Maps problem
JoBoy #31609 10/23/14 05:46 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm beginning to wonder if Google Maps is incompatible with an iPhone 4S. Are any of you using the latest Google Maps successfully with an iPhone 4S? Today, I can't even find Google Maps on the iPhone's App Store. Is this a problem of mine or has it been withdrawn from the store? Would moving to Yosemite and also upgrading to iOS 8.1 have anything to do with it?

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: iPhone 4S and Google Maps problem
JoBoy #31613 10/23/14 11:36 PM

I just did a search using iTunes on my Mac mini running Yosemite and App Store on my iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1 and Google Maps shows up in both. I have no explanation of why you cannot find it unless, as you speculated, the current version is not compatible with your 4S.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/23/14 11:39 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31621 10/24/14 03:59 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I just posted a question on the Apple Support Discussions page (I use JoBo over there). I thought it best to tell you about it rather than copy and paste it here. Essentially, it is a summary of what you already know.

I was able to find and download Google Maps 3.2.1, but it gave me the same old run around as before. The "genius" at the Apple Store couldn't figure it out. He said the best he could do was wipe the iPhone clean so I could take it home and restore the last backup I made just before going to the Apple Store, but that maneuver did not solve the problem.

Obviously, I'll be very interested to see if anyone from Apple answers the question. In the meantime, I'm beginning to believe that I'll be using Apple Maps until I buy a new iPhone.

I really appreciate your assist. The only piece of information I don't have is whether others who are still using an iPhone 4S are able to use the 3.2.1 version of Google Maps. I had absolutely no problem until I added the updated version 3.2.1.

Last edited by JoBoy; 10/24/14 04:01 AM.

joemikeb #31664 10/27/14 10:43 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Over the weekend, I also attempted to reinstall iCloud since I made the first installation without following specific instructions. In the process, I followed instructions on the Apple web site. One item I encountered was checking a particular feature for compatibility with my Mac Pro. It failed the tests. Thus, some features of Yosemite are not compatible with my ancient equipment. I foresee a day in the not to distant future when I will replace all of my hardware and software and iPhone with new equipment. At that point, I will take personalized classes at the local Apple Store to master the new items from the get go. In the meantime, I have cut off all contact with iCloud that I can, including Find My iPhone. This has restored my ability to manually sync my iPhone to iTunes in both directions. This is especially useful in Calendars. It temporarily eliminates a lot of issues and I can go back to doing productive things. I really appreciate the crew at Fine Tuned Mac who suffered with me as I was making an effort to extend the life of my current equipment.

The similar questions I posed on the Apple Support Communities was never answered by anyone.

Last edited by JoBoy; 10/27/14 10:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard