An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heartbleed & Trusteer Rapport, What's That?
artie505 #28935 05/07/14 08:17 AM

Latest update:

To make a long story short, Rapport automatically d/l's and installs updates, but you've got to restart to get them to take effect, and unless it pops up notifications in versions of OS X later than Snowy there's no way of knowing that an update has been issued without repeatedly checking the pref pane and repeatedly enduring the 15 second delay until it opens. You can't even find out from their Website, because version numbers aren't posted (but I'm working on it).

Edit: That is, of course, only posted for the benefit of those who don't restart regularly.

Last edited by artie505; 05/07/14 10:08 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Heartbleed & Trusteer Rapport, What's That?
artie505 #28937 05/07/14 11:31 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. Another tidbit that would have escaped me.

And while you've got the developer's attention, perhaps you can get them to fix/resize their icon in System Preferences...

And maybe, just maybe, in some far distant region of the galaxy, they will, someday, have an option to auto-sync desktop settings with mobile settings.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
New Update 3.6.1404.15
Pendragon #31394 10/04/14 10:43 AM
OP Offline

FWIW: My Trusteer Rapport did not automatically update. I am not sure when the new version was published, but Here is the link for the new/updated version.

Aside from a new icon in System Preferences, I know not of what changed/improved.

P.S. The "app" (in system preferences) now instantly launches.

Last edited by Pendragon; 10/04/14 11:23 AM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: New Update 3.6.1404.15
Pendragon #31487 10/11/14 06:16 AM

Rapport has been an ongoing nightmare for me, Harv; I've long since lost count of how many e-mails I've exchanged with tech-support.

If you're saying that you weren't auto-updated to v 3.6.1404.15 even though you have got the box checked, it may be because (as per tech-support) updates that are available on the website have not always been released for auto-d/l (lord only knows why). On the other hand, you may actually have been updated but hadn't restarted, which is necessary despite the fact that it's nowhere stated (nor are we even explicitly advised that a silent update has occurred).

The .15 update was the result of my finally beating it into tech-support's heads that SysPrefs hung for 15 seconds before Rapport's prefpane launched, but their solution moved the hang, rather than corrected it...

The initial hang was the fallout from Rapport's pref pane loading a ton of garbage into its "Trusted Websites" pane before launching, and the solution has resulted in the hang being bumped up a notch so it now occurs after the pref pane has launched, the new fallout being that "Trusted Websites" now takes ten seconds to load after the pref pane has launched, and if you click on it too soon, SysPrefs freezes and must be force-quit.

V 3.6.1404.16 is now available (I got it via auto-d/l.), and I believe it 's supposed to fix the new hang, but it doesn't.

I hope that's clear.

PS: How many apps other than Rapport have you seen stop in the middle of the installation process to present a Captcha pane?

Last edited by artie505; 10/11/14 06:21 AM. Reason: Just cleanup

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: New Update 3.6.1404.15
artie505 #31488 10/11/14 10:07 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Rapport has been an ongoing nightmare for me, Harv; I've long since lost count of how many e-mails I've exchanged with tech-support.

No surprise there; that's been my experience. I have now quit mucking about with them. I had the "Safari quit unexpectedly while using the RapportDaishi.dylib plug-in" problem. I sent crash logs and references/links to several Mac sites containing postings of others with this same problem. Finally a call from the one of the Rapport experts. He wanted Remote Access. As he already had my crash logs, I asked what else he intended to determine/see. He couldn't tell me, so I declined his invitation. For me, v3.6.1404.15 resolved the issue.

Despite shut downs & restarts, my auto DL still did not work correctly. Even if I manually checked, I was advised I was up to date (not so). Were it not that you mentioned v3.6.1404.16, I would still be on the previous version. Perhaps this latest version fixes my DL issue.

Of course, I suggested they announce/post their updates on MacUpdate and the like, but it seems that suggestion was not well received.

And I still can't find the link that references the current version number and the changes/fixes.

A visually impaired gent in my local MUG says that Captchas drive him (and his screen reader) nuts. Having such mid-stream is bizarre in the extreme. What are those Rapport folks thinking? Perhaps they were absent the day installers were discussed...

Harv

New Update 3.6.1404.18
Pendragon #31589 10/22/14 07:48 AM

Where to start?

Here, I guess... Rapport v 3.6.1404.18 is available for d/l. It wasn't d/l'ed silently, nor did "Check..." advise me of its existence; I had to seek to find. This go-round, installation resulted in an immediate version number update in Rapport's pref pane, so I guess a restart is no longer required (if, in fact, one ever really was). (Here's a direct d/l link: <http://download.trusteer.com/Gcur4Wtnu/leopard/Rapport.dmg> Just click on it, and the d/l begins.)

In the past, their advising me that they've "escalated [my] email to [their] experts for further analysis" has yielded an update within 3-4 days, and this time was no exception, but if the update was intended to correct the "Trusted Websites" loading freeze...my issue, it was unsuccessful.

I also experienced the Daishi issue, and that was the second time they asked me to submit my logs. The first time, their auto-gathering function had worked, but it failed, with a pop-up, the second time. This time, the auto-gather button was gone, and I was pretty put-off having to gather and compress logs from 8-9 different locations, and then they didn't get my e-mail attachment, so I had to resubmit through their ftp panel. (Happily, I had had the foresight to save the logs.)

And the kicker is that one of the logs they ask for is owned by root, fer cryin' out loud! Do they seriously expect their users to either enable root or change the permissions on 5 levels of folders to access that file?

Not me dude!!!

Like you, I've had it with them...at least until they abandon their arrogant attitude and accept and deal with constructive criticism - Captcha panes? Hah! - as readily as they accept and attempt to deal with bug reports.

Addressing your other points: As far as I can tell, the only way to determine the version number of a d/l is to install it and look in Rapport's pref pane. (What I've taken to doing is d/l'ing and using command-I to determine creation date.)

A change log??? Surely you jest!!!

On several occasions I've seriously wondered whether anybody on their development team is actually running a Mac. tongue

Edit: I keep forgetting to ask whether you're running Rapport as a client of one of their member institutions or as a freelancer, as I am? There's apparently a difference in the way updates are disseminated to the two groups.

Last edited by artie505; 10/22/14 09:11 AM. Reason: Cleanup

Re: New Update 3.6.1404.18
artie505 #31596 10/22/14 02:58 PM
OP Offline

Thanks again, Artie.

As for the updates, I checked immediately before accessing the DL link and shorenuf, no indication that an update was needed.

That a third party developer would require the user to get Root access is a new one for me.

I agree, if any of that gang has Apple expertise, well, they have done a great job in concealing that from me.

AFAIK, I am running Rapport as a freelancer, though I was strongly encouraged to use same by USAA.

Alas, I can't help but question the quality/validity of the product when the customer support is so dreadful. No wonder IBM is in turmoil...

Harv

Pendragon #31600 10/22/14 03:26 PM

Alert, Harv!

I just awoke to discover that v .18 has got a serious bug: my screensaver coming on while my MBP's lid is closed causes my deuced Mac(hina) to freeze, requiring a forced shutdown.

If you're running a laptop, I advise against your installing the new version; I intend to revert after some experimentation.

Pendragon #31601 10/22/14 03:46 PM

If USAA is one of your protected websites, Rapport may treat you as a client of a member institution, which may affect your auto-d/l situation. (In case you're unaware, you're entitled to extra protection on member institution websites.)

Rapport is not an IBM developed product, rather it's an acquisition.

More to follow on the screensaver issue, and it may now be time to bring up another issue that I've long chosen to overlook.

To me Rapport is kinda like a doctor: They're all the greatest until they screw up. (Is there any way to determine that Rapport is actually doing all the stuff it says it's doing without paying a price?)

Pendragon #31603 10/22/14 08:39 PM

I am running Trusteer Rapport that I got through a download from USAA and when I "Check for updates now" in the System Preferences > "Trusteer Endpoint Protection it reports I am running version 3.6.1404.16 which is the latest version and it appears to be working perfectly with Safari 8.0. the latest version.

The only thing I have to restart for a Rapport update to take effect is Safari and although my computer runs 24x7 Safari gets launched and relaunched several times a day so that is not a problem for me.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #31607 10/23/14 11:11 AM
OP Offline

I installed v .18 a few 2 or 3 days ago, and have yet to discover a problem/conflict (other than as already discussed). But what gremlins await, ah, that is the question.

That the Trusteer/Rapport coding is lacking, would not come as a surprise. To me, it seems very much in the beta stage.

Harv

joemikeb #31645 10/26/14 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I am running Trusteer Rapport that I got through a download from USAA and when I "Check for updates now" in the System Preferences > "Trusteer Endpoint Protection it reports I am running version 3.6.1404.16 which is the latest version and it appears to be working perfectly with Safari 8.0. the latest version.

The only thing I have to restart for a Rapport update to take effect is Safari and although my computer runs 24x7 Safari gets launched and relaunched several times a day so that is not a problem for me.

Although Rapport's pref pane reports that the current version is v .16, v .18 is available via the link I gave Harv, and tech support has advised me on numerous occasions to d/l "the latest version" - via said link - in the event of issues. (For what it's worth, when v .16 was the then-current equivalent of v .18 I was told that it had not yet been released to all member institutions.)

When my installation was silently updated from v .14 to v .16 I had to restart before my version number changed in my pref pane, but when I d/l'ed and updated to v .18 my version number changed after I quit and relaunched Safari. Confusing the issue, though, was tech support's consistently having advised me to restart after installing "the latest version", so, and particularly in view of the obscure nature of the beast, I couldn't be 100% certain that the updated pref pane was proof-positive of anything...and I restarted for good measure.

Aside: Precisely how did you get Rapport "through a download from USAA"? Does that mean that you didn't have to visit Rapport's web site? (The only institution on Rapport's member list with which I deal is PayPal, and they've never even advised me of Rapport's existence.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 05:52 AM. Reason: Cleanup

Pendragon #31646 10/26/14 06:05 AM

Update...

I feel like Audie Murphy!

When I experienced the closed-lid freezes immediately after installing Rapport v .18 I assumed that the update was responsible because I had been living with an ongoing Rapport/closed-lid issue since installing the app.

Unfortunately, though, I forgot that my existing issue involved NoSleep, so although my new issue was real, it wasn't necessarily the least bit relevant to most of the world.

Now, to make a long story short, after a horrendous and fruitless night of troubleshooting, including performing a clean install of OS X 10.6.8, it was looking like my issue was really hardware related, and I was on the verge of swapping out my DIMMs when I remembered that in addition to updating Rapport, I had also begun placing a protective layer between my keyboard/trackpad and display when my MBP's lid was closed, both immediately prior to the onset of the freezes, so I experimented, and it turned out that therein lay the roots of my problem...

The layer was too thick (explanation on request), and that resulted in the trackpad being depressed when the lid was closed, and that caused my freezes (but only with NoSleep on).

I've since customized the protective layer so it no longer presses on the trackpad, and my issue has been resolved.

Sorry for being an alarmist.

Under any circumstances, though, I've now uninstalled Rapport. Clean installations of the newest versions (I've yet to see the new EULA that's supposed to pop-up during installation.) didn't recognize and, therefore, subsequently protect my transmitted passwords, and, as has always been the case, it slowed Safari 5.1.10 to a crawl.

Rather than continue to beat my brains out dealing with an abysmally slow Safari and the Rapport tech-support team's arrogance, burdensome demands, and non-responsiveness, I've decided to live with "bogeyman-in-the middle" vulnerability (unless somebody can direct me to Rapport-similar protection for OS X 10.6.8, DNSCrypt apparently being a dead issue as respects Snowy) until the Rapport house is in order. tongue

Footnote: Rapport has a new d/l procedure: You can't access a d/l link until you give them your name and e-mail address and select their member institution with which you deal (apparently for no more than data collection purposes, though). Although v .18 is the latest available version, two nights ago I was given v .14, and last night and tonight (24th/25th) I was given v .16.

Following installation, you're taken to a page that asks "Did you see our new EULA pop-up?" but doesn't offer you an opportunity to say "Nooo, I didn't!"

I certainly hope Rapport functions faaar better than it presents itself.

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 06:09 AM. Reason: Cleanup

artie505 #31651 10/26/14 12:13 PM
OP Offline

[quote=joemikeb]

Aside: Precisely how did you get Rapport "through a download from USAA"? Does that mean that you didn't have to visit Rapport's web site? (The only institution on Rapport's member list with which I deal is PayPal, and they've never even advised me of Rapport's existence.)

Alas, much is lost in the fog of time, but as I remember, USAA sent me email suggesting I install that critter and included the link to do so. I do know that I first called USAA Security and verified that they had indeed sent the email and recommended such. Exactly how I initially did so, ah, more fog. But I do not believe the DL was mirrored or hosted on the USAA site.

Re the mess about waiting for a prompt to install the update, just sounds like [more] incompetent tech support, at least to me.

Harv

artie505 #31652 10/26/14 12:15 PM

Aside: Precisely how did you get Rapport "through a download from USAA"? Does that mean that you didn't have to visit Rapport's web site? (The only institution on Rapport's member list with which I deal is PayPal, and they've never even advised me of Rapport's existence.

It was via a download link from USAA but I did not check to see where the link was from.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31751 11/13/14 12:00 PM
OP Offline

Finally! Sometime within the last 24 hours, the Auto Update worked. My version is now 3.6.1404.22. smile

But what changes were made? Ah, now that I haven't a clue...

AFAIK, there is no posting of What's New. mad

Harv

Pendragon #35665 08/21/15 11:53 AM
OP Offline

Even though I had the "Auto Update" enabled, it didn't happen. Thus, when I went to the IBM site to verify my version, I discovered (after the download) that the current version is 3.6.1507.14.

But what fixes, changes, etc.? Ah, now that I haven't a clue. confused

All said, the DL, install (with Captcha mid point), and restart were uneventful.

The only change I have so far noticed (if it is in fact new), is that the Origin (USAA) is now displayed.

Harv

Pendragon #36403 10/11/15 03:12 PM
OP Offline

I wrote to Trusteer, because the "safe" icon that is to appear in the Address Bar is missing in El Capitán.

IBM's reply (in part):
"Please be informed that Trusteer Endpoint Protection is not yet compatible with Mac OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") and Microsoft Edge web browser.

f you're using one of the platforms above, Rapport's icon will not be visible next to your address bar and your online activity will not be protected by Rapport."

Of course, no ETA was made re date fix/new version release.

Harv

Pendragon #36526 10/20/15 07:43 AM
OP Offline

IBM's response to incompatibility with El Capitán:

"Please be advised that the issue you have experienced is related to the new version of Mac - OSX 10.11 "El Capitan" which is not currently supported by Rapport.

OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" will be supported in the following release of Rapport. Unfortunately there is no official release date, but we do expect the update to be released in the near future.

The Rapport version you have installed will be automatically updated, once the supporting version is released.

In the meantime, you can access your bank account using another computer with a supported operating system by Rapport, included mobile devices."

That last paragraph seems like a well-thought solution, a most sound & common sense approach. Aww, c'mon man...

Harv

Pendragon #36557 10/20/15 10:04 PM

Just to add injury to insult, I got Trusteer from the same original source you did — USAA — and the current version no longer lists USAA as a Trusted Website. I am not sure whether to ding IBM or USAA about this, but I suspect I will get a better response from USAA.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36583 10/22/15 09:39 AM
OP Offline

Trusteer v3.6.1.1507.44 (now) works with El Capitán.

FWIW 1. The auto updater did not indicate the availability of the update, but it is available from/through the IBM site. When I got there, it suggested I get the DL via a link they had to the bank that referred me (USAA). And that's what I did.

FWIW 2. At the conclusion of the install, the Trusteer address bar icon did not appear, even though it was enabled and I relaunched my browser as directed. For me, to view the icon, I needed to Restart the OS. Then, sweetness and light.

FWIW 3. USAA is still not listed amongst the Trusted Websites.

FWIW 4. I sleep tight knowing that IBM writes the code for the FAA.

Harv

Pendragon #36584 10/22/15 10:00 AM

Quote:
I sleep tight knowing that IBM writes the code for the FAA.

If you mean the Federal Aviation Administration, that may be so, but I believe that Trusteer is maintained by the Israelis who created it.

artie505 #37657 12/07/15 03:12 PM
OP Offline

FWIW, I just noted this posted on the USAA Site:

"Beginning Nov. 20, 2015, we will no longer offer Trusteer Rapport on usaa.com, but you'll still be able to download it for free from Trusteer.com. The software will still work with usaa.com, but you may have to manually activate it on your own.

Here's how...

• If Trusteer Rapport is not enabled to protect a website, the Trusteer Rapport icon in the address bar will be gray.
Click the gray Trusteer Rapport icon in the address bar. A dropdown dialog box appears.
• In the drop down dialog box, click Protect this Website. The Trusteer Rapport icon on the address bar turns green, indicating that this website is now protected by Trusteer Rapport.

Contact Trusteer/Support with any questions.

For the best security USAA has to offer, we recommend you enhance the security of your online account with a CyberCode option, which is available in your Security Preferences.

You have our commitment to continuously enhance our security measures to help protect your personal and financial information."

What, exactly, this portents, and why the turnabout, I dunno. But for sure, USAA's endorsement of Trusteer has been withdrawn.

BTW, One needs the installer to run the Uninstaller. Also, a search of Trusteer after the "Successful Uninstall" still results in (much) detritus that requires manual removal.

Harv

Pendragon #37667 12/07/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Harv
"Beginning Nov. 20, 2015, we will no longer offer Trusteer Rapport on usaa.com, but you'll still be able to download it for free from Trusteer.com. The software will still work with usaa.com, but you may have to manually activate it on your own.

Here's how...

• If Trusteer Rapport is not enabled to protect a website, the Trusteer Rapport icon in the address bar will be gray.
Click the gray Trusteer Rapport icon in the address bar. A dropdown dialog box appears.
• In the drop down dialog box, click Protect this Website. The Trusteer Rapport icon on the address bar turns green, indicating that this website is now protected by Trusteer Rapport.

That sounds pretty much more or less in line with my observations about about Rapport here.

Edit: I wouldn't trust Rapport to pick up all the correct settings, rather I'd go into its pref pane and check.

Last edited by artie505; 12/07/15 11:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard