for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dead pixel
#31560 10/20/14 01:02 AM
OP Online

All of a sudden, I've got a persistent, universal black spot on my screen that survives restarts.

I assume I'll wind up at the Genius Bar, and from what I've found on line, AppleCare will probably cover me, but before I make the trip I'd like to know whether there are any tricks I can or must try in advance to jump-start the dead pixel. (I've been trying to call AppleCare, but they're jammed up...with emergency calls about rockslides in the local national park, I guess tongue.)

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Dead pixel
artie505 #31567 10/20/14 02:25 PM

If you haven't already tried them, see if any of the suggestions offered for lcd dead pixel repair works for you.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #31576 10/21/14 05:50 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the link; I searched MacUpdate and apple.com but didn't think of your search term.

I gave JScreenFix - Pixel Repair a coupl'a hours to do its thing. but with no joy.

Since I've got AppleCare, though, I wasn't really looking for something of that ilk, rather I was wondering whether there were any Apple recommended procedures that I hadn't run across. (For instance, I didn't want to schlep to town only to be told to go home and try a clean install.)

I guess it's Genius time. (AppleCare is still a 15 minute or more wait time. frown )

Note: JScreenFix runs in a browser, and I've been trying to figure out whether it's actually doing its thing if it's not running in the front window; I think not, but I'm not certain. (I assume it's not doing its thing if the browser is hidden.)

[rant] I just don't get it!

I know people who treat their laptops like they're Frisbees, and they never have any problems with them. My laptops not only never leave my house (other than to visit a Genius), they don't virtually never even move from one spot to another inside my house, and yet this MBP is the fourth of my four laptops that will undergo repairs the cost of which will exceed the cost of AppleCare.

Is there some "Abuse Me!" mandate that I've missed? tongue [/rant]

Last edited by artie505; 10/21/14 07:35 AM. Reason: Better wording

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #31579 10/21/14 09:38 AM

Rather than wait if you just walk into Apple, you can make an appointment. Follow the links after Contact Support at Welcome to Apple Support.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #31580 10/21/14 09:49 AM
OP Online

You missed my first post, Jon; the at least 15 minute wait is to talk to an AppleCare phone rep. (Actually, I'd put my phone on speaker and wait them out if they still played music, but they now play iDevice tips...beyond annoying to iDevice non-users.)

I don't even want to think about how long a wait I'd have were I to just walk in to an Apple Store unannounced in the immediate future.

artie505 #31584 10/21/14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't even want to think about how long a wait I'd have were I to just walk in to an Apple Store unannounced in the immediate future.

I was in a local Apple Store two days ago and they were asking Genius Desk walk-ins to make an appointment two or three days in the future.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31586 10/21/14 09:01 PM
OP Online

Thanks for the report.

I think I'll just live with the distraction for a bit and wait for the Yosemite rush to die down rather than making a near term appointment and getting stuck waiting in the Apple Store.

artie505 #31590 10/22/14 08:24 AM
OP Online

Serving up eggs...any style.

My "dead pixel", which had withstood dusting with a dry cloth, just succumbed to Staple's screen cleaning solution.

Needless to say, I'm pleased...as well as chagrined. blush grin

Last edited by artie505; 10/22/14 10:20 AM. Reason: Correction

artie505 #31595 10/22/14 02:48 PM

Yours is possibly the best outcome, short of the 'dead' pixel resurrecting automagically. tongue

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard