for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Whoops - Disabled Finder
ganbustein #31564 10/20/14 10:08 AM

Hmmm... JCLover never told us how the "incorrectly named" file was named, i.e. what led to the conclusion that it was incorrectly named.

Also, why/how on Earth would/could such a file be incorrectly named?

And finally, I wonder if the name change's not sticking was a consequence of trying to rename /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Finder.plist and OS X simply not allowing the change to be made?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #31569 10/20/14 07:43 PM

Error -10810 is defined (in LSInfo.h) as:
Code:
  kLSUnknownErr                 = -10810, /* Unexpected internal error*/

The "LS" stands for Launch Services. Basically, error -10810 is Launch Services' way of saying: "I was unable to launch the app, and I have no idea why not."

In short, it's an extremely uninformative error message that gives us no clue as to the underlying problem. It's almost as useless as error -50 (paramErr: Error in user parameter lists) which means "some part of the system asked some other part of the system to do something that it either couldn't understand or couldn't do".

Tip: Not directly relevant, but when Googling error numbers, remember to leave off the leading minus sign. Googling for "error -10810" finds pages that contain the word "error" but do not contain the word "10810". The results may be a tad less relevant than you might have hoped.

artie505 #31571 10/20/14 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hmmm... JCLover never told us how the "incorrectly named" file was named, i.e. what led to the conclusion that it was incorrectly named.

And finally, I wonder if the name change's not sticking was a consequence of trying to rename /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Finder.plist and OS X simply not allowing the change to be made?

Actually, he did tell us that he encountered the unable-to-rename problem first, suspected Finder was to blame, and only then started looking for ways to "reset" Finder.

I'm guessing he used Spotlight (in a Finder Search window) to find files named "com.apple.Finder.plist", and trashed all of them it found. The search would have had to include "system files", or it wouldn't have found any, since anything in any Library folder is considered a system file. Finder would have asked him to authenticate as admin, but would then have obligingly ripped out its own guts. (I think it was in OS X 10.7 Lion that Finder stopped being so obliging. It now refuses to move root-owned files from root-owned folders. It doesn't even ask you to authenticate; it just says "No". Users mostly notice that trying to trash things from /Applications.)

I ran into the unable-to-rename problem myself, once, on a friend's "table lamp" iMac running OS X 10.3. The symptoms were just as the OP described. I established that the problem was a corrupted catalog. He had no backup, and I refuse to waste my time trying to rescue files whose owner did not think they were important enough to back up. Not for the first time, I read him the riot act about backups (he's in IT and should have known better), his wife read him the riot act (she also thought he should have known better), wiped his disk (after letting him rescue as many files as he could), and upgraded him to OS X 10.4.

ganbustein #31573 10/20/14 09:09 PM

Quote:
Googling for "error -10810" finds pages that contain the word "error" but do not contain the word "10810".

In this case, including the quotation marks in the search string—"error -10810" as opposed to error -10810 —will produce a reasonably relevant set of results.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #31575 10/21/14 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
In this case, including the quotation marks in the search string—"error -10810" as opposed to error -10810 —will produce a reasonably relevant set of results.

But better is to put the quotes around just the number, as in error "-10810". This way, the number doesn't have to immediately follow the word "error". (For example, it will find a page that talks about "Error code -10810", and even pages that don't use the word "error" at all.

ganbustein #31624 10/24/14 10:10 PM
JCLover Offline OP
OP Offline

Greetings GanBustein and Artie. Thank you (and everyone else) for all your help and great suggestions. This is the first chance I've had to get back to town and to an internet hot spot.

Reasoned that a restore from Time Machine may not fix the Finder problem, because it might restore a corrupt .plist or other file. So I decided to re-install the OS from the system disc, as suggested.

That worked beautifully for fixing Finder, but as you can imagine, due to software update incompatibilities, the iLife programs stopped working (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). I understand the problem and am working the solution, as I write: the OS is now 10.6 (Snow Leopard, as you know), but the iLife apps, drivers, etc. are all 10.6.8. That is not too painful. Compared with my experience with Windows boxes, Mac has been a snap and a joy.

Your further efforts are not wasted. Because of them I've gleaned so much and understand so much better the Mac's internals and Terminal's importance and advantages. Thank you again.

Thank you, too, for you kind compliments. I appreciate them.

Regarding the catalog problem: I verified the disc just prior to contacting FTM the first time - no problems. Will Verify again after Software Update. I use MacKeeper for antivirus and system maintenance, but I've noticed my machine still runs a little slower than it did a year or two years ago. Can you suggest anything which may speed up the boot process? Also, usually shut-down is fast, but occasionally, especially after installing a program or any update requiring me to enter the admin password, shut-down is slow.

Now I know where to turn for the best Mac help available on line. I am grateful for FTM as a whole.

Artie, I did not understand this line: "...so I'll bow to ganbustein's not having called you out." Called out for what? I'm probably misinterpreting this. Perhaps, I missed a post. I looked, but did not find anything to help me understand.

All the best to you all,
JCLover

MacBookPro5,4; 1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz; 4 GB Memory; 15" Monitor; OS X 10.6.8

JCLover
artie505 #31625 10/24/14 11:36 PM
JCLover Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Artie.
Sorry folks, I didn't notice, until after my post of 10/24, that there is a Page 2 in this tread. I just thought I'd be looking at one long page, forever. Well, you know what the ubiquitous they say about AssUMeing. Therefore, I did not see any posts in this tread, after the 10/19 post (by Artie, I believe). Discovering Page 2, however, did not help me understand that line I asked you about.

Regarding renamed file: just to eliminate any lingering doubts, it was a user file that I had improperly named, so unrelated to a system file permissions issues. I was using Finder to rename the file, which is why I thought Finder/cataloger was the problem. In my system, using Finder (coverflow list), if you click on a file in the list, and then press enter/return key, it puts the file.ext in edit mode, whereby you can change the file name and extension. Press enter again to exit edit mode, then click off that row/file to save the changes. All that worked, as previously mentioned, but subsequent opening of the source folder showed the file had not be renamed after all. But no need to continue reiterating since the problem seems to be fixed.

I'm writing again, because as I began downloading the Software Updates to bring my system up to 10.6.8 again, I noticed the HP printer update listed, and remembered that after installing the last update (don't remember if it's the same version number), the scanner part of my HP Deskjet 2050 J510 (Multi-function center [print, copy, scan -- no fax]) stopped working, just the scan function. It had worked the day before, so I in my mind I concluded the Update had wiped out my scanner. I suppose it's possible some component in the HP unit itself is the real problem.

Anyway, I mention it now, just to ask if there could be any relation between the HP update and the catalog problem?

I'll write back to notify all whether the HP update fixed the scanner.

Thanks again to you Artie, and everyone who contributed to this thread.

MacBookPro5,4; 1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz; 4 GB Memory; 15" Monitor; OS X 10.6.8

JCLover
JCLover #31626 10/25/14 12:25 AM
JCLover Offline OP
OP Offline

Update: I'm sitting out side the library, it's closed, but the hotspot remains functional for a while after closing. It's dusk and 59% battery power left after download and install of updates, but wanted to tell you of my progress and results today rather than later.

All appears fine, with one exception. Pages lost the CorsivaHebrew and CorsivaHebrew Bold fonts. Is there an easy way to get back just those fonts or do I need to reinstall Font Book?

These fonts are very important to me. The check writing system I built, depends on them and the replacement fonts used by the system/Pages has really made a mess of the check documents.

Will not know the result of HP update until I go back home. Will advise, ASAP.

Wow, the transition from dusk to dark is a rather short interval of time.

Have a great weekend.

JCLover
JCLover #31627 10/25/14 12:29 AM

Quote:
Artie, I did not understand this line: "...so I'll bow to ganbustein's not having called you out." Called out for what? I'm probably misinterpreting this. Perhaps, I missed a post. I looked, but did not find anything to help me understand.

Oh, that was just vernacular for "He didn't question the Terminal command you ran to reset your LaunchServices database." Sorry for the confusion.

By the way, I've learned from experience to keep the larger updates required for a clean install of OS X 10.6.8, the 10.6.8 Combo and Safari 5.1.0 updaters and Security Update 2013-004, stored on my deuced Mac(hina) so I don't have to d/l them every time I need them.

Additionally, if you ever rerun only the Combo, you'll need to run the Snow Leopard Migration Assistant updater and the Safari (The Combo reverts Safari to v 5.0.5.) and Security updaters along with it. Unfortunately, running the Combo doesn't clear previously deposited receipts, so Software Update doesn't think any updates are required.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
JCLover #31628 10/25/14 12:38 AM

Although your fonts don't appear in Font Book in my OS X 10.6.8 installation, they do live in /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/FontInfo.

It looks like you'll either have to reinstall, use Pacifist to extract them from your install disc, or get them from a friend.

Last edited by artie505; 10/25/14 01:07 AM. Reason: Change incorrect paths, rewrite

JCLover #31630 10/25/14 10:00 AM

Beware of Mackeeper! For more info, read the comments at this thread.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #31631 10/25/14 10:22 AM

Good catch!!!

JCLover #31638 10/25/14 08:47 PM

The Corsiva fonts (Corsiva.ttf and CorsivaBold.ttf) normally live in /Library/Fonts.

If they're truly missing from your system now, you should be able to restore them from your Time Machine backup. No need to futz around with installers or Pacifist.

If the files are there, but applications don't offer them, run Font Book and tell it to re-open the fonts.

Font Book is just a font manager. Its purpose is to tell the system which fonts to use and which to ignore. (Oh, and it can also detect duplicate and/or damaged fonts.) It doesn't actually contain any fonts within it, so reinstalling Font Book won't bring any missing fonts back.

I've heard nothing good about MacKeeper. I don't know that it's related to your problem, but it's not helping you and may be doing you harm.

The HP printer update is almost certainly unrelated to your problems.

The iWork updates (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) generally save prior versions. Look in /Applications for folders with names like "iWork (06)", "iWork (08)", "iWork (09)". These older versions still work, except:
  • Double-clicking a document always opens it in the most recent version of the app. If you want to open it in an older version, you need to either launch the app and then open the document using File→Open, or drag the document onto the icon for the app. (The icon can be in the Dock.)
  • Documents you save from one version of the app cannot be opened by earlier versions of the app. (Some versions of the app may let you save in earlier versions, either as part of File→Save As or as a submenu of File→Export.)
It's safe to restore these older versions from your Time Machine backup. Best to put them in their own folders, leaving the new versions untouched. Otherwise, Software Update will keep trying to bring them back up to date.

But there's generally no incentive for using older versions of Pages, until you get to version 5. Pages 4.3 (the latest version in iWorks (09)) has the most features and only one flaw: it doesn't play as well as it should with Pages for iOS. Pages 5.x is much more compatible with Pages for iOS, but dropped a slew of features. Apple recognizes this is a problem, and is adding back the missing features as fast as they can, but in the meantime it's good to still have iWorks (09) available.

ganbustein #31641 10/25/14 10:45 PM

> The Corsiva fonts (Corsiva.ttf and CorsivaBold.ttf) normally live in /Library/Fonts.

Here's what EasyFind finds in my brand, spanking new Snowy (same as JCLover's running) installation.

I don't find Corsiva in /Library/Fonts, /System/Library/Fonts or Font Book.

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 12:12 AM. Reason: Complete rewrite

artie505 #31642 10/26/14 12:12 AM

Quote:
In my brand, spanking new 10.6.8 installation (same as JCLover's running), I don't see any Corsiva fonts anywhere obvious...

And yet, according to Mac OS X v10.6: Fonts list, Corsiva Hebrew and Corsiva Hebrew Bold are in /Library/Fonts as per ganbustein.

Seems that they're actually part of the Snow Leopard installer disk's "Additional Fonts" option (see this Macworld screenshot); perhaps you (and JCLover) didn't include that particular optional install when reinstalling Snow Leopard.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #31643 10/26/14 12:20 AM

You've on the mark (in my case, anyhow); I did not install the Additional Fonts. (So what is EasyFind finding?)

(I'm pretty sure that I looked at your linked Apple doc; I guess I skimmed right past the Corsivas.)

dkmarsh #31648 10/26/14 08:43 AM

I don't recall installing Additional Fonts, but they're present on my (to my knowledge) plain vanilla Snow Leopard machine (and on my Yosemite machine).

Still, if they're really part of Additional Fonts, that's one way to get them back. Or restore them from Time Machine.

ganbustein #31650 10/26/14 09:07 AM

Additional Fonts isn't an option; it's part of a standard install and must be "customized" out (as I did).

So, JCLover's best options are Time Machine, Pacifist, or a friend.

Edit: I just examined my Snowy install disc with Pacifist, and Additional Fonts includes two Corsivas , neither of which is identified as Hebrew, though.

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 09:45 AM.

artie505 #31656 10/26/14 07:57 PM

Additional Fonts isn't an option; it's part of a standard install and must be "customized" out (as I did).

So, JCLover's best options are Time Machine, Pacifist, or a friend.
Edit: I just examined my Snowy install disc with Pacifist, and Additional Fonts includes two Corsivas , neither of which is identified as Hebrew, though.

You still don't need Pacifist. Just double-click on the Additional Fonts package to install whatever it installs.

The word "Hebrew" is part of the font name, not the filename. Any resemblance between font names and filenames is purely for human convenience. The two files are for the Regular and Bold variants.

ganbustein #31658 10/26/14 08:12 PM

There's no package on which to double-click; Additional Fonts is an element of the basic installation that's included by default and excluded by unchecking its box in the "Customize" pane while you're booted into the installer. (Edit: Same location as X11.)

Unless there's a secret that I don't know, JCLover would have to reinstall to get the Corsivas without Pacifist.

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/14 08:14 PM.

artie505 #31669 10/28/14 08:44 PM

Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD (for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard).
Double-click on Optional Installs to open the folder.
Double-click on Optional Installs.mpkg to launch the installer.
Agree to whatever you're asked to agree to.

At this point, you now have a window listing things that can be optionally installed. They're all initially unchecked. Select "Additional Fonts". Click "Continue".

Alternatively, run the standard installer, but under "Customize" uncheck everything except Additional Fonts. (Couldn't test this, because the optical drive on my Snow Leopard machine no longer works, and I can't get CD/DVD sharing from my Yosemite machine to work.)

ganbustein #31672 10/29/14 12:42 AM
JCLover Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all.

HP update did not fix HP Scan 3 problem, but I did discover an inferior scanning software that works. [Correction: Found within Preferences-> Print & Fax-> select printer from list-> click Scan tab.] So that confirms not a hardware problem. What a relief. Got some docs scanned for important meeting.

Ok, restored the two True Type fonts from Time Machine backup. All .pages back to normal. Did not find any files with .ttf extension in this path:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/FontInfo

All files there came in pairs with these two endings:

ATSD and fontinfo. For example:

Georgia Bold Italic.ttf.28E34_0.ATSD
Georgia Bold Italic.ttf.28E34_0.fontinfo

Can I safely dump these files?

All fonts on my system, except some user installed fonts, are located at /Library/Fonts, including, of course, the two Corsiva fonts just restored.

Yes, I meant iWork, not iLife. I noticed after I'd sent. Thanks for pointing it out, though. Thanks for your help.

Software wise, I think I'm back to where I started, save HP Scan 3. However, Finder is still behaving badly. Couldn't find any .ttf files, even when searching for system and hidden files. I found other system/hidden files, but not .ttf. Also, couldn't find "Corsiva" on Time Machine. Had to drill down into /Library/Fonts and then select them from the list.

Did perform Verify again. Interesting result: "Invalid volume file count" and "Invalid volume directory count" both off by two. Here's the log entry.

2014-10-25 23:17:08 -0700: Verifying volume “MacBook Pro HD”
2014-10-25 23:17:08 -0700: Starting verification tool:
2014-10-25 23:17:10 -0700: Performing live verification.
2014-10-25 23:17:10 -0700: Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking extents overflow file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking catalog file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking multi-linked files.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking catalog hierarchy.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking extended attributes file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking volume bitmap.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking volume information.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Invalid volume file count
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: (It should be 383195 instead of 383197)
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Invalid volume directory count
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: (It should be 113054 instead of 113052)
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: The volume MacBook Pro HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Assume the two missing fonts? I repaired the disc and all seems fine.

I have a nagging feeling that something isn't quite right with the cataloging system. How can I find out?

Thank again to all. Bye for now.

Last edited by JCLover; 10/29/14 06:42 PM. Reason: Correction
ganbustein #31674 10/30/14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD (for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard).
Double-click on Optional Installs to open the folder.
Alternatively, run the standard installer, but under "Customize" uncheck everything except Additional Fonts. (Couldn't test this, because the optical drive on my Snow Leopard machine no longer works, and I can't get CD/DVD sharing from my Yosemite machine to work.)

Someday, I'll learn. crazy

I'm pretty sure that I must have looked in that folder (or...maybe only its previous incarnation in a pre-Snowy installer) at least once, and I had long since forgotten that it exists; it's one of those things that I don't even se when it's on the screen in front of me.

You can't turn the trick with the standard installer, because "Essential System Software" can't be unchecked.

Edit: Pacifist is beneficial to those who closely manage their fonts, because it's the only way to specify which of the additional fonts you want installed.

Last edited by artie505; 10/30/14 08:53 AM.

JCLover #31676 10/30/14 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: JCLover
Did perform Verify again. Interesting result: "Invalid volume file count" and "Invalid volume directory count" both off by two. Here's the log entry.

2014-10-25 23:17:08 -0700: Verifying volume “MacBook Pro HD”
2014-10-25 23:17:08 -0700: Starting verification tool:
2014-10-25 23:17:10 -0700: Performing live verification.
2014-10-25 23:17:10 -0700: Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking extents overflow file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking catalog file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking multi-linked files.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking catalog hierarchy.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking extended attributes file.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking volume bitmap.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Checking volume information.
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Invalid volume file count
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: (It should be 383195 instead of 383197)
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: Invalid volume directory count
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: (It should be 113054 instead of 113052)
2014-10-25 23:18:15 -0700: The volume MacBook Pro HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Assume the two missing fonts? I repaired the disc and all seems fine.

I have a nagging feeling that something isn't quite right with the cataloging system. How can I find out?

Your nagging feeling is confirmed by Disk Utility when it says, "The volume MacBook Pro HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired." You need to boot from your 10.6 install DVD and run Disk Utility > Repair Disk which should fix the problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
JCLover #31678 10/30/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JCLover
All files there [in /System/Library/.../FontInfo] came in pairs
<snip>
Can I safely dump these files?

You cannot safely dump anything from inside /System. Don't add anything, either.

I know they're on your computer, but you should think of them as Apple's files. The price you pay to be able to run Apple's OS is that you have to give Apple a little corner of your boot volume that they can call their own. /System is that corner. Look, but don't touch.

Don't forget what happened when you deleted /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Finder.plist. There's a lesson in there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard