Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to Rate Yosemite?
#31534 10/17/14 04:52 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

(1) What do users here like about what's new in Yosemite?

(2) Does everything you used in Mavericks work in Yo? If not, what doesn't

(3) Other comments about Yo?

Last edited by RHV; 10/17/14 04:53 AM.
Re: How to Rate Yosemite?
RHV #31536 10/17/14 09:40 PM

In lieu of too quickly making judgements, at this point, I recommend going over to Ars Technica and reading John Siracusa's well written, as well as thorough, review.

Peter Cohen, at iMore.com, reviews various features and Yosemite's native apps.

Last edited by pbGuy; 10/18/14 12:53 AM. Reason: Update

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
RHV #31537 10/17/14 10:05 PM

I have been using Yosemite in beta as my production OS for the past couple of months. There are a number of apps that require updating, but the only thing that does not currently work on my system is the driver for Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo. Dymo promised to fix it before the Yosemite release, but they did not make it.

My impression of Yosemite is I like it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31539 10/18/14 12:09 AM

After a few false starts, Yosemite finally downloaded and installed without any problems. (Must have been overloaded servers.)

As did Mavericks, Yosemite dumped incompatible software in a special folder. Only Flip4Mac showed up. A couple apps required updates, but everything else launched and worked (so far - had one Firefox crash).

The only oddity is that when booted into my 10.6.8 partition, the Yosemite partitions will not show up in the Startup Disk preference pane. If I reboot while holding down the alt key, the Yosemite partitions show up as selections and once highlighted will boot as normal.

Anyone else experience this?

As far as better or worse, the OS looks okay to me. iTunes took a while to come to grips with: all the pane controls are just a little bit different.

I don't have any other iOS Apple products to tie into my Mac Pro, so can't really appreciate most of the new features.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #31542 10/18/14 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
The only oddity is that when booted into my 10.6.8 partition, the Yosemite partitions will not show up in the Startup Disk preference pane. If I reboot while holding down the alt key, the Yosemite partitions show up as selections and once highlighted will boot as normal.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, except it wasn't another partition on the same drive but another drive altogether. The other drive would not even mount! I could not even "see" the other drive in Disk Utility! Interestingly I did not notice this in the Yosemite beta. It may have occurred in Yosemite beta 4 or 5 and I just did not notice it, but it did cause a minute or two of panic on my part after installing the release version.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31543 10/18/14 09:49 PM

I read the arstechnica review.

Yosemite is ugly, among other things. A disaster.

Last edited by deniro; 10/19/14 01:16 AM.
RHV #31545 10/18/14 10:51 PM

I haven't yet had the opportunity to play with Yosemite, but I came across a privacy breach issue with certain default Spotlight settings. If left unchanged, 'Yosemite's Spotlight transmits everything you type, character by character, to Apple and its partners. Worse, the data are also sent in combination with your location and your Apple-assigned persistent tracking ID, for correlation across multiple searches over time.'

That said, it appears that you can disable this monitoring by unchecking the offending items in System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results (see 'About Spotlight Suggestions & Privacy'), e.g., 'Bing Web Searches', 'Spotlight Suggestions' and possibly 'Other'. This seems easier than running a script to do the same.
Likewise, you may want to uncheck additional unwanted items in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Location Services, e.g., Spotlight location services.

As Andreas Szabados opined in today's MacInTouch Security Reader Report linked to above, it would have been nice if Apple had made these items opt-in rather than opt-out.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #31546 10/18/14 11:33 PM

Any idea whether Little Snitch is an intermediary in these transactions?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #31547 10/18/14 11:51 PM

Thanks for the privacy heads up. I have made the changes suggested by Apple Help. I would hate for even remote strangers to find out how boring I really am...

Further messing with Yosemite involved deleting some system fonts as per Kurt Lang's guidelines. Then making clones with Carbon Copy Cloner, which I worry is not fully up to speed with Yosemite yet. I ended up erasing the Yosemite partition and starting again.

So much time involved in fine-tuning Mavericks and now Yosemite when I only really ever use Snow Leopard.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
artie505 #31548 10/19/14 12:24 AM

Little Snitch is not involved with the transactions other than that it may flag them if they haven't already been allowed by you or the System. In theory you could use LS to stop Spotlight from phoning home, but unchecking the options listed above seems easier and leaves potentially necessary and not privacy-sensitive connections intact.

alternaut moderator
freelance #31549 10/19/14 12:37 AM

... making clones with Carbon Copy Cloner, which I worry is not fully up to speed with Yosemite yet.

I don't know exactly what made you question CCC's compatibility with Yosemite, but Bombich claims the current version (4.0.2) is 'ready to rumble' with Mac OS X 10.8 and up.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #31551 10/19/14 01:19 AM

Quote:
Further messing with Yosemite involved deleting some system fonts as per Kurt Lang's guidelines

I noticed Helvetica Neue, source of many font problems, is now the system font instead of Lucida Grande.

alternaut #31552 10/19/14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
... making clones with Carbon Copy Cloner, which I worry is not fully up to speed with Yosemite yet.

I don't know exactly what made you question CCC's compatibility with Yosemite, but Bombich claims the current version (4.0.2) is 'ready to rumble' with Mac OS X 10.8 and up.

I upgraded Mavericks to Yosemite, then ran CCC. So, I wasn't using the very latest version. That must have caused my problems. Starting from stratch, then using the lastest CCC added a step: cloning an invisible Recovery HD before starting the standard backup. I love a learning curve.

Also, I noticed fonts are causing me grief:

I like to take all but the necessary system fonts out of play and move them to a new folder, then manage them with Suitcase, a la Kurt Lang.

There is some sort of System protection that makes moving or even copying fonts a challenge, throwing up a system error dialogue even when booted from a SL partition.

I've been flailing a bit, so can't describe exactly how I've approached this so far, except to say that it always worked with every system up to Mavericks.

Also, I've just noticed that Suitcase has still yet to release a Yosemite-compatible update. Suitcase Fusion 4 and 5 seem to work, but aren't officially compatible.

freelance #31553 10/19/14 12:35 PM

I don't know what it is about Yosemite fonts, but:

I have copied the System/Library and ~/Library fonts folders to my main startup drive and another internal drive that has no OS on it. In both cases, when I do a clone of those drives, Carbon Copy Cloner reports bad blocks on the source drive and it is always the Yosemite font files that cause the problem.

I have never, in all the years I've used CCC, had it report bad blocks.

freelance #31554 10/19/14 01:04 PM

...Then making clones with Carbon Copy Cloner, which I worry is not fully up to speed with Yosemite yet...

Just an FYI... SuperDuper! v2.7.3 is the version that's for Yosemite. I've been using this version since upgrading to Yosemite, and I've not experienced any cloning issues.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
freelance #31556 10/19/14 02:37 PM

I have never, in all the years I've used CCC, had it report bad blocks.

As I mentioned before, I can't yet play with Yosemite, so I'm looking from the outside in. Googling around though, I haven't been able to find complaints similar to yours. If you get those bad block reports with the current version of CCC (4.0.2), and CCC's Knowledge Base or others here or elsewhere don't offer an explanation/fix (e.g., will TechTool Pro's surface scan or similar give your HD a clean bill of health?), perhaps it's time to put in a Bombich support ticket.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #31557 10/19/14 04:42 PM

Thanks. I have put in a support ticket after seeing many similar complaints.

I think I'll just sit back and do my thing on 10.6.8 until Apple and all the third party boys get their act together.

Oh, the latest:

After slimming down my System/Fonts folder to Kurt Lang's minimum requirement, Yosemite will no longer shut down or restart. Attempting either results in a login screen. To shut down, you have to do a hard quit.

I am going to reintroduce the deleted fonts one at a time, starting with the Helveticas, and see what happens...

pbGuy #31558 10/19/14 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Just an FYI... SuperDuper! v2.7.3 is the version that's for Yosemite. I've been using this version since upgrading to Yosemite, and I've not experienced any cloning issues.

After using SuperDuper for many years, I reverted back to Carbon Copy Cloner, because CCC will also handle the Recovery Drive. Has that been added to SuperDuper yet? I scanned ShirtPocket's web site and there was no mention of the Recovery Drive.

— Albert Einstein
RHV #31565 10/20/14 12:04 PM

A minor issue (feature) that I am still fussing with...

In days past, in Mail, one could change both the font and background color.

As yet, I have not divined how one changes the background color in Mail 8.0.

Is it moi or do others have the same condition?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #31566 10/20/14 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...I reverted back to Carbon Copy Cloner, because CCC will also handle the Recovery Drive...

Bombich's site says it's CCC 4 that's Yosemite ready.

Here's his explanation about 3.5.x & Yosemite: CCC 3.5

Pendragon #31572 10/20/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
In days past, in Mail, one could change both the font and background color.

As yet, I have not divined how one changes the background color in Mail 8.0.

That problem has been around for quite a while. One of the colors can be changed only via the UI, the other only via AppleScript. I could never fathom why.

It does mean that when looking at my Junk folder, I can tell whether a message was junked because Mail decided it was junk, or because one of my AppleScripts (invoked as mail filters) decided it was junk. If Mail thinks it's junk, it sets the text color; my scripts are able only to change the background color.

I'll be installing OS X 10.10 Yosemite today or tomorrow. That means it's time to review Mail vs. AppleScript. (There is very definitely a "versus" in there.)

RHV #31574 10/20/14 10:18 PM

I like Yosemite so far.

The visual changes are a mixed bag. It's an odd contrast—between monochromatic toolbars with wire-thin icons and text, and brightly colored folder and app icons and the glow of translucency ("transparency"). I think it's safe to say that the interface is not optimized for middle-aged eyes! Turning transparency off reduces the overall fatigue, but it also makes the text in menus harder to read, particularly dimmed items, which are not only grey, but blurred as well. (No doubt everything's peachy on a Retina display.)

In terms of performance, Yosemite seems to me to be a distinct improvement on Mavericks. Most user interface actions are quicker; even Finder windows appear reasonably quickly, most of the time. Booting seems to be slow, as does launching System Preferences and, sometimes, switching prefpanes, but most apps are noticeably quicker to launch. Safari is positively zippy, and Mail is considerably less buggy than in Mavericks, though still not as reliable, for me, as it was in Mountain Lion.

Overall, memory management seems much improved. I have yet to push my Late 2012 Mac mini's 4 GB of RAM from the green into the beige in Activity Monitor's "Memory Pressure" graph (though I haven't done extensive photo editing or opened dozens of Safari tabs, the two activities which were most likely to exacerbate memory issues in Mavericks).

It seems as if Apple may have finally laid to rest, with iCloud Drive, the server/bandwidth issues which have plagued its cloud efforts since the inception of .Mac, though I'll have to use it for awhile before I'm certain of that. It's reassuring that documents created on one's Mac that are stored in iCloud Drive are also kept locally (in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/), but attempts to navigate beyond that folder seem to be foreclosed. So far, in very limited use, iCloud Drive genuinely looks to be seamlessly integrated into Finder—a far cry from the days of going and making coffee while waiting for one's iDisk to mount.

I'm sure there will be bugs, controversies, and security breaches abounding, but Yosemite after two or three days of use seems, above all, to be solid—a status Mavericks never achieved, for me.

(I should note that I did a clean install of Yosemite on an empty partition, so there were no user data or third-party app issues to contend with.)

Last edited by dkmarsh; 10/20/14 11:17 PM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #31577 10/21/14 06:04 AM

I like Yosemite, too. The problems I am having are all of my own making, because I am obsessed with organizing the fonts in the way I've been doing for years.

If you have a 10.6.8 partition, too, try this for me:

While booted in SL, copy a .ttc font from Yosemite. Do you get a -8084 error? I can copy Yosemite fonts to another drive when I am booted in Yosemite, but not if I am in SL. FontDoctor crashes when trying to diagnose a Yosemite .ttc font. Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.7 reports bad blocks and errors when attempting to copy Yosemite .ttc fonts, but CCC 4.0 copies fine.

I'm wondering if Apple has some sort of protection/security on their fonts now?

If I Google my problems, I see I'm not the only one.

Mind, if I stopped fiddling with the fonts and just left everything as it was installed, I wouldn't be having these problems! grin

freelance #31578 10/21/14 09:24 AM

Quote:
If you have a 10.6.8 partition...

Wish I could help, but I jumped from Leopard to Mountain Lion.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
RHV #31582 10/21/14 02:17 PM

1. Opening iPhoto now introduces a bluish cast in my display. (Globally, not just in the iPhoto window.) Display returns to normal when quitting iPhoto. I sent feedback to Apple.

2. Camouflage app not working properly, but developer said he's working on an update. I find the ability to single or double click on Desktop to bring a designated Finder window to the front very useful.

3. I way prefer reduced transparency. (See the Accessibility pane in System Preferences.) I fear this is an instance where 'style' may be beginning to subdue ease of use. (The bleed through of Half Dome at my login screen also looks kind of creepy.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard