Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 font problem
artie505 #43571 02/01/17 07:29 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

It's within hailing distance. The difference from what I did, versus what you suggest, is that I haven't installed 10.6.8 yet. I did migrate my network prefs, and nothing else, w/Migration Asst. I've been using my installers to reinstall my third-party software. I could have held off on that. It is possible that some some third-party program is causing the problem.

I think it's more likely that I screwed up by deleting something I shouldn't have during years of tinkering. Another possibility that's occurred to me is that there is something about the factory installed software (and hardware, I guess) that it is particular to this model Mac. Messing with that would therefore lead to problems. I can't help thinking that, particularly under the latest regime, Apple has no intention of letting people hold on to their computers for ten years like I have, and thefore has no intention of allowing people to upgrade system after system on their hard drives.

I could clone my drive right now, then install 10.6.8 to see if the problem returns. But I have only one backup drive and I'm using it now. I'm considering buy a second hard drive anyway.

I got an email from Kurt Lang, whose great site about fonts I spent a lot of time with. He wrote, "Whatever’s going on, it’s not the fonts. Fonts are vector shapes and cannot themselves be jaggy. Something is causing them to be drawn badly by the system. But I don’t know what that would be."

Is the ATI Radeon involved in drawing fonts?

I was able to reproduce another problem I had of kernel panics when webgl and hardware acceleration were enabled in Firefox. Certain web sites would take down my Mac. That started happening about three years ago.

An updated ATI driver would be interesting to try, but obviously that's not going happen.

The lesson there is that I need to pay close attention to the graphics card the next time I buy a computer, which very likely won't be a Mac, so it probably won't be a problem anyway.

During the past year, I've been debating what do to next in my computer setup, and I've almost concluded that I'm done with Apple after thirty years as their customer. But that's a different thread. I can discuss that in the Lounge, or wherever appropriate, if anyone wants.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

deniro #43576 02/02/17 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: deniro
It's within hailing distance.

It most assuredly is not within hailing distance! It is, in fact, in diametric opposition.

The difference from what I did, versus what you suggest, is that I haven't installed 10.6.8 yet. I did migrate my network prefs, and nothing else, w/Migration Asst. I've been using my installers to reinstall my third-party software. I could have held off on that.

You've installed EVERYTHING before installing 10.6.8, whereas I suggested installing NOTHING ("holding off" wink ), until after installing it, the goal being - for the third time - to find out if your problem is inherent in OS X, itself.

It is possible that some some third-party program is causing the problem.

I made my suggestion to either lend credibility to or disenfranchise that possibility.

I could clone my drive right now, then install 10.6.8 to see if the problem returns. But I have only one backup drive and I'm using it now. I'm considering buy a second hard drive anyway.

Hmmm... I thiiink you can split your backup drive into two partitions without erasing it, but I wouldn't advise your trying without confirmation from someone more on top of it than I am. (Of course, if you're only using it as a backup and not for data storage it won't matter.)

Your best bet is to clone 10.6.7 so you can update to 10.6.8 and have the clone to fall back on if your problem follows you; you've put in too much effort into getting it to lose it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43578 02/02/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hmmm... I thiiink you can split your backup drive into two partitions without erasing it, but I wouldn't advise your trying without confirmation from someone more on top of it than I am. (Of course, if you're only using it as a backup and not for data storage it won't matter.)

Since OS X 10.5 (Leopard), Apple's Disk Utility has had the ability to partition or re-partition a drive non-destructively, but only the unused portion of the drive can be in the new partition. So it is a good idea (almost imperative) to defragment the files and volume prior to repartitioning. You can find instructions here. Prior to Leopard TechTool Pro offered the same ability and would defragment the drive as well. Prudence dictates you should always backup a drive before attempting to repartition it as accidents can happen.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43596 02/03/17 11:40 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I haven't defragmented files on my hard drive for years. I can't even remember how many. I recall having a copy of Tech Tool Pro. But the new version was $100 and it seemed like a waste of money.

deniro #43617 02/07/17 04:20 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I followed artie's procedure and the problem returned, so I'm done trying to solve this one. It shall remain a mystery.

deniro #43619 02/08/17 12:49 AM

I followed artie's procedure and the problem returned, so I'm done trying to solve this one. It shall remain a mystery.

Well, at least you now know that it's beyond your control, apparently inherent in 10.6.8, and in the bargain, it sounds like your clean install benefitted you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43636 02/10/17 02:39 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I wish I had the CD that came with this computer. I don't remember why I threw it out. That was a long time ago. This Mac was my introduction to OS X. There was a lot to learn. I didn't foresee frequent upgrades, installations, and reinstallations. Or insoluble problems.

deniro #43637 02/10/17 06:29 AM

I wish I had the CD that came with this computer.

To what end?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard