An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How much data/rate used by Apple or Google maps?
#31132 09/10/14 02:01 PM
OP Offline

Whilst driving (in the US) & using Google or Apple Maps, about how much data are used per hour? I know there are many variables, but it seems there should be some historical data, at least for guesstimating purposes.

Soon, I’ll be driving for many days, and I haven’t a clue as to what I’m letting myself in for each hour of Maps/GPS use. confused

Musings & guesses most welcome.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: How much data/rate used by Apple or Google maps?
Pendragon #31141 09/10/14 05:20 PM

Given where I drive is often out of range of any data connections my estimate could be wildly misleading. However, I use an AT&T data subscription on my iPad and have traveled across Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado for days on end and not exhausted the base data download allocation.

The application you are using makes a difference too. Some of them can and will download significant portions, perhaps even all, of the map data while you have a WiFi connection so it is possible you would not use any of your data subscription at all or only very little. Although I have Google Maps my favorite GPS apps are Maps and GPS Drive. GPS Drive is my "go to" application and that is the one that permits downloading and storing route maps while you are on WiFi.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31153 09/10/14 09:24 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, joemike!

I hope not to spend more than 7 Mb per hour. But if I see that I am exceeding that, then I'll revert to plan B. Well, once I figure out what that will be...

BTW, GPS Drive looks enticing. Thanks again.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #31170 09/11/14 10:32 PM

Consider the You Need a Map application for iPad and iPhone. A surprisingly detailed map of the entire US is stored entirely on your device, so no bandwidth is needed at all, except to install. The map takes up GB. No route planning, though.

For other mapping applications, turning off satellite view cuts down the bandwidth requirements enormously.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard