FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OMG! My book released today!
#31065 09/02/14 08:24 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

My first-ever professionally published book, More Than Two, actually published today! Whew! It's a weird feeling. After all this time and work, it's finally a real thing that real people can actually get their hands on.

Man, this has been a long, strange trip. I started talking about writing it in 2003. In about 2006 or so, I put together a proposal and sent it out to a bunch of publishers and agents. A lot of them said the same thing: "we don't want a relationship how-to book, but if you redo it as a personal memoir, we'd love to publish it." I didn't want to do a memoir, so it got shelved until I started dating my girlfriend (and editor, and coauthor, and mastermind) Eve.

And what a process. We founded a publishing company, did a crowdfunding campaign, and retreated for six weeks to a remote log cabin deep in the woods in rural Washington to make it happen. And boy, did we have a lot to learn about the book publishing industry, which is archaic and hopelessly dysfunctional. I'm seriously considering writing a book about navigating all the rivers of bullsh*t it takes just to publish a book.

But now it's here! Our distributor is delivering it to bookstores and libraries, and it's shipping from Amazon and Powell's. Whew! In four days, Eve and I will be leaving to live in a conversion van for two months as we drive all over the country lecturing, talking, doing readings, giving workshops, and signing books.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: OMG! My book released today!
tacit #31066 09/02/14 10:51 PM

Congratulations to both of you! I wish you well and maybe, just maybe, it will appear on the NY Times best seller list. laugh

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
tacit #31067 09/02/14 10:51 PM

congratulations

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
tacit #31070 09/02/14 11:28 PM

AWESOME!!!!!! This just means that your NEXT book will be that much easier....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #31071 09/03/14 12:21 AM

Congrats, and lots of luck in the next stages of your project!!!

I took a quick look and found Best Books for Polyamory, where yours is highly ranked and highly rated. (I've read "Stranger" more than once, and I'm mystified by its position on the list; I don't think it's completely irrelevant, but I also don't see it as being as relevant as its position implies.)

On Broadway, they say "Break a leg!" Is "Get a flat!" its touring equivalent? grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #31073 09/03/14 08:00 AM

What delightful news, congratulations!

As you travel about, please post the links to local media that interview you, publish excerpts, write reviews, etc.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #31074 09/03/14 06:42 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, we have two more books in the pipe for next year: a memoir by me (ironically, the one the traditional publishers said they wanted, that I didn't want to do) and a book by Dr. Elisabeth Sheff, a sociologist who studies non-traditional families. Her last book, The Polyamorists Next Door, was the results of a long-term longitudinal study f polyamorous families with children; her next book will be an anthology of stories about living in non-traditional families. Her last publisher treated her really badly, so now she's with us. smile

I'm not sure book publishing ever gets totally easy. In fact, the whole industry is so dysfunctional it seems like book publishing is difficult by design. But it will be easier, I reckon.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #41203 07/19/16 05:46 PM

Your story is ever so slowly seeping through the cracks of mainstream journalism, reaching The Guardian today: Polyamorous in Portland: the city making open relationships easy. Congrats! cool

alternaut moderator
Pendragon #41208 07/19/16 07:23 PM

And you must be congratulated profusely!
So let it be written. So let it be done.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard