FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
One email that won't go away
#31025 08/30/14 05:04 AM
blschue Offline OP
OP Offline

I have one email "Kim Komando's Weekend Digital Digest" that won't go away. I trash it, empty the trash and it comes back as unread. When it is opened there is no message. I use Apple Mail and the email is coming from my gmail account. When I try to move it to a different folder I get this message:
The message “Another retail hack, 3 free privacy browser add-ons, 10 awesome things about your phone, and more for Sat., Aug. 23, 2014” could not be moved to the mailbox “Computer — On My Mac”
And: "An error occured while moving messages to mailbox "Computer-In My Mac""

I received this email Aug 22 and several times a day I try to get rid of it. I went to gmail and it is no longer there.
How do I get rid of this email. I subscribe to Kim Komando's email and this is the only email that I have problems with.

Thanks for help
Barb
MacBookPro (late 2006 model)
OS 10.6.8

Barb Phillips
15" MacBook Pro OS BigSur 11.7.10
Re: One email that won't go away
blschue #31026 08/30/14 05:28 AM

You gave me a good laugh; I didn't figure out why Kim Kardashian was e-mailing stuff like that until my 3rd reread of your post. shocked crazy

In OS X 10.6.8/Mail 4.6 (1085) under "Mailbox" in the menu bar is a "Rebuild" command that sounds promising:

Originally Posted By: Apple
Rebuilding mailboxes
In some cases, you might need to rebuild a mailbox to update the list of messages in the mailbox; for example, if messages appear to be missing or garbled, or if you can’t find all relevant messages when you search using Entire Message. Rebuilding a mailbox can take a while depending on how many messages are in the mailbox.

To rebuild a selected mailbox:

Choose Mailbox > Rebuild.

For Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) accounts, locally cached messages and attachments are discarded and the messages and attachments are downloaded again from the server to your computer. Your mailbox appears empty until the download is complete.

Hope that helps, and if doesn't... Ask Kim? tongue

(I've just gotta break my fascination with tabloid covers. [Never buy 'em, 'cuz then I'd have to look inside.])

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
blschue #31029 08/30/14 02:51 PM

You might also log into your Gmail account directly and try deleting it from there, if it is there.

Sometimes there's no there there. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #31035 08/30/14 06:46 PM

Quoting blschue, "I went to gmail and it is no longer there."

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
blschue #31043 08/31/14 04:23 PM

Barb,

Can you remove the unwanted message by going to Edit > Cut or command - X?

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
artie505 #31045 08/31/14 08:49 PM

II cannot find the reference right now, but I seem to recall a similar thread on the Apple forums. As I remember, it required the services of Google tech support to clear the problem. It was on their end.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #31047 09/01/14 05:50 AM
blschue Offline OP
OP Offline

I did the rebuild in Mail twice. Now instead of appearing all the time when I check for new mail, it shows up some of the time. I'm hoping that it will quit playing mind games with me and go away forever. grin Also I don't have Kim Kardashian's email grin laugh wink

Barb Phillips
15" MacBook Pro OS BigSur 11.7.10
blschue #31048 09/01/14 06:15 AM

Well, that's a start, but it's inadequate.

I tried to find the post to which joemike referred, and failed; why not skip the search and go directly to Google tech support?

> Also I don't have Kim Kardashian's email

I still laugh when I think about having thunk it. shocked

artie505 #31050 09/01/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Quoting blschue, "I went to gmail and it is no longer there."

Not to get too obtusely philosophical, but where is there?

How was it "removed" from Gmail. Just trashed? Moved to Spam? It might still be somewhere. It could be a problematic flag on this one e-mail, and yes, Gmail tech support might be of help.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
blschue #31057 09/01/14 06:10 PM

I've seen this problem before. It's actually a Gmail problem, not a Mac problem.

Gmail's IMAP implementation is kind of weird and broken, and it doesn't adhere to the IMAP specification. Every now and then, an email will seem to be deleted from Gmail's servers, but Gmail will still report it as available and unread. (It doesn't matter what kind of computer or email program you're using to read your email, when this happens you'll have this problem.) Drop their support email a line--they have to take care of it.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #31060 09/01/14 07:10 PM

> ...Gmail will still report it as available and unread.

But what about "When it is opened there is no message."

Is that part of the syndrome?

artie505 #31063 09/02/14 08:18 PM

Yep. The problem is that the message is actually deleted from gmail's servers, but the title of the message and the message ID is still reported as being available. So the mail client says "hey, this is a new message!" and shows you the title. But when you try to look at it, the message is blank (because it's actually been deleted). And the mail client can't mark it as read (because it's been deleted). The message itself is gone, but the title is still hanging around in the list of available messages on the server.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard