FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's This Thing Called?
#30269 06/08/14 02:32 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

Here is the situation: after 15 years of DSL service, AT&T is requiring that I upgrade to their faster U-verse; they can no longer interface with my "legacy" set-up. That statement alone raises numerous comments, but that's a different post. In the long run, this would have happened anyway, so…

OLD set-up: ATT Motorola modem to Netgear router. Router can handle 2.4 and 5 Ghz and guest versions of these. Remote dual band Netgear range extender located remotely (!) creates 3 EXT (extended networks; 2.4, 5, guest) wi-fi networks. Printer connected by Ethernet cable (not wi-fi) to the range extender for wireless printing. All works well. And if you really looked, you would see 6 wi-fi networks pulsating through our ether.

NEW set-up: combination ATT router/modem (a "gateway") that automatically picks the best/correct band (2.4 or 5 Ghz). This gateway cannot create guest networks and does not show separate 2.4/5 band networks. You only see one wi-fi network. The remote dual band Netgear extender does not seem to be able to see the gateway and the printer thinks it's no longer connected to a network, which it most likely was not. Printer can and is in wireless mode, so it is working remotely.

QUESTION: I will work on trying to get the extender to see the new ATT device, but in the event that it can not, what is the hardware that will connect the printer by ethernet to the existing network? It does not need to act as a range extender, but it could. It also cannot create its own network, since the gateway won't see it.

Actually, the new more than double the old speed Internet connection is making this worth it, but I might like a more "solid" printer connection. So again, what is that piece of hardware?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: What's This Thing Called?
Ira L #30295 06/11/14 06:13 PM

I'm not an IT expert (big caveat), but sounds like you need an unmanaged Switch (Netgear makes good ones) connected to your ATT router/modem. [An unmanaged switch will not enable Guest Networking, as it simply allows connection of multiple devices to the LAN which could include a printer with an ethernet port.] ...I'll be curious to see more precise responses from the experts of FTM.

While my ISP is Comcast, I use an Airport Extreme connected to Comcast's modem (a Motorola SB 6120). The AE has a Netgear 5-port Switch connected, which provides LAN connection for 2 Macs I use.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Ira L #30297 06/11/14 09:42 PM

I have friend who has a UVerse modem and after hours, days, weeks of trying we could never induce any other device to extend his network. Apparently the UVerse modem does not allow any device to extend his network. However, we were able to get an Airport Express connected by USB to his non-WiFi printer to join the network and the printer showed up via Bonjour. Of course YMMV. The idea of an unmanaged switch sounds like a good idea, and I am going to pass that along to my UVerse using friend.

I have Charter Cable and they are delivering a consistent 38 to 40 Mbps through my Airport Time Capsule. AT&T keeps offering to upgrade me to UVerse that delivers a blazing 6 Mbps for just a few dollars a month more. confused

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/11/14 09:44 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #30303 06/12/14 04:26 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

The online U-verse chat person says a Netgear range extender should work (AT&T even sells them in their on line store). However, she had no specifics as to what to do and passed that on to Netgear.

I can go through the extender set-up process, an extended network is created, but nothing can sign in to it; no iDevices, desktops, laptops, even though they see it.

The "hours, days, weeks" comment is encouraging. I may just let it go, but I will look into an unmanaged switch.

Thanks folks, and if there is more feedback, let me know.

38-40 Mbps!! I just double or tripled to 3 (THREE) Mbps and I thought I could feel the wind blowing through my hair! grin AT&T does promise more in my area in the next 4-6 months.

Wow. 38-40…

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #30305 06/12/14 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Wow. 38-40…

Yeah Charter has bumped the speed two or three times in just over a year without any increase in the cost. I had always resisted cable in favor of DSL or FIOS, but this experience has definitely made me rethink my viewpoint. On top of that it has been very reliable except for the week when a contractor was going through the neighborhood switching out the old cable plant, but that was definitely an anomaly.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #30361 06/20/14 11:10 PM

IMHO, a router would be better than a switch. I have heard nothing but horror stories when you attempt to use the combination modem/router as a router. I was upgraded to the 5Ghz speed for free a while back and TW gave me a combination modem/router which is their best modem, why I wanted it, but my experience is that combo routers usually shut down everything on the network if the internet service goes down; maybe their router addresses all the devices using an IP range generated by your internet service? A separate router creates it's own IP range and is always there. When they upgraded my cable speed it was bottle-necking at the router, which was only 2.4Ghz, so I bought the WRT1900AC. Pricey, but I really like the software. The router broadcasts both bands, so I can use my old ipod and and other devices on the 2.4Ghz band along with my Mac on the 5Mhz. I have a refurbished Cisco Net Extender connected to the printer and it came with software that locates the Extender for you. My printer is from the 1990s, so a 2.4Ghz extender is fine. I had to reset it once when I had to reboot the whole network, but not a biggie.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #30374 06/21/14 02:35 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

You could be right on the IP range, but I can jiggle that by going into the settings. However, the most recent advice I got was that my older (2-3 years) Netgear hardware may not be current enough for AT&T's newest hardware. Who knows?

For the time being things are working well without the extender, so I am of the mind that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #30453 06/30/14 07:06 PM

I don't have as complicated a setup as you do, I don't have an extender, but I have ATT DSL. ATT has been trying for a long time to get me to switch to Uverse. I've read many negative things about it.

What I have now works fine. Netgear modem which I bought from the Apple store connected to a Netgear router which I bought a long time ago from Best Buy. Connects fine wirelessly to downstairs Dell and ipad.

deniro #30460 07/01/14 04:55 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: deniro
ATT has been trying for a long time to get me to switch to Uverse. I've read many negative things about it.

I often subscribe to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, within a two hour interval one morning AT&T stopped supporting "legacy DSL" (I have had it for 15 years) in our neighborhood. No notice, and I'm not sure they even realized the consequences of what they were doing. They are stringing fiber optics on the street so….

So far I am happy with the Internet connection only part of U-verse; not doing U-verse phone or TV. Even though the advertised numbers are only twice what I had (1.5 Mps to 3 Mps), the actual speeds are 3-5 times faster than what I was getting before. And all for only twice the price! grin And they say when fiber optics kicks in in a few months I can go to 6 Mps or more. It will be nice to join the 21st century in that respect, although the U.S. has always lagged on nationwide Internet speed on a world-wide basis.

With regards to my original question in this posting, a switch does not seem to be what I want. It would need to be hardwired to the original U-verse router, no? Not feasible.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #30461 07/01/14 05:13 PM

You need a wireless router... Whatever cable modem/black box thing they give you, it connects via ethernet to the wireless router and that creates your wireless network. (In my case, they are next to each other, very short cable.)

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #30479 07/02/14 04:42 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

You are missing my points: the new box does give me a wireless network; that's not the problem.

I wanted to set up a network extender, which by definition is not next to the original box. But the new gateway would not allow my old extender to connect wirelessly, and the remote location essentially prohibits wired ethernet.

Previous research on my part seems to indicate that the 2-year old extender was probably not compatible with the new gateway.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #30480 07/02/14 05:53 PM

I think I do get your points. I'll try to be clearer: The wireless network that your box gives you is not the wireless network you should be using. It's signal is limited to your internet provider's devices.

You need to use a separate router and use the box as just your internet connection, not to create a wireless network. Like I said, I have a combo box Time Warner gave me but even Time Warner said it is a bad idea to use the combination box as your wireless network. It creates problems such as the one you are describing, your wireless peripherals will have either trouble connecting or fall off the network.

So, instead, I am suggesting what I am using as the set up that might work for you: the combination internet modem/wireless router, which is what the box you are referring to is, be used only as a way to access the internet, in other words, a modem. It can be used as only that and DON'T use the wireless network it creates, their tech support should be able to tell you how to turn off the wireless signal only and leave the internet modem part running. That is then hard-wired (ethernet) to the router, sitting next to it, and the router transmits a wireless signal. The cable leaving the modem (carrying the internet signal) is connected to the router uplink port. The access point you are referring to is probably 2.4MHz, in which case it will not be compatible with a 5MHz wireless signal, probably what you have. You need a router that transmits both a 2.4MHz AND a 5MHz network.

The ROUTER finds the access point, not the wireless network that is no longer being transmitted by your box. The router will BE your network. Everything, including your TV, connects through there. Make sure the router you get has an HDMI connector if your TV is nearby. Most newer, smart TVs use a wireless network called AC, which you should also make sure the router you purchase has. If you use Kindle Fire or some other such thing to connect to your TV, they usually run on the N network. The access point you have is 2.4GHz, for sure. It is either on the N, B or G network, which most routers run.

The only thing your internet company has to give you, or you may want to buy, is a 'hot spot' for your phone, which also plugs into the ROUTER. Your ipads, ipods, even older ones, will connect to the internet wirelessly through the router you buy.

If anyone else has any thoughts here, please jump in, I don't have a combination service for phone, TV, and internet. But I do think this will give Ira the least problems in the future if he adds other or older peripherals, he won't have to wait on hold with the cable company. Ira just has to double-check with his provider if the router he intends to purchase is compatible, but unless they are running something bizarre, it should be.

Or, on the other hand, ask the cable company for a compatible access point...

(Note: I am using access point and network extender to mean the same thing here.)

Last edited by slolerner; 07/02/14 05:58 PM.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #30481 07/02/14 06:15 PM

(Will also create guest access and give you a firewall.)

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #30484 07/03/14 04:51 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

OK, what you are describing of course makes sense, and was the way of the world with the previous DSL modem. Not sure I want to go the route you are describing at this time since everything is working well and all I have really lost is the ability to have a guest network.

An interesting footnote is that AT&T says there are extenders that are compatible with their gateway, just not the one I happen to have. Anyone need an extender? wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #30487 07/03/14 11:07 PM

Recycling bin.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard