FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Just dropped by...
#2945 09/05/09 09:24 AM
OP Offline

Just dropped by to say "Hi". Glad to find so many familiar (virtual) faces around this place.
My life has changed quite a bit since my early retirement (April 2008); instead of getting more time, I seem to find less time every day. Still on Mac, though (nowadays a 24" Intel iMac 2.8GHz, running 10.5.8), whilst my wife, who just recently retired, is using a 17" MBP 2.8GHz, also on 10.5.8). Our most popular program: Photoshop CS3, though we're still both amateurs, who just recently started taking a course for "seniors". Not that we feel ourselves so old at 59!

I'll try to stop by regularly, and you may also expect some questions, e.g. about Photoshop. I'm sure there'll be someone around to help.
Keep up the good work, guys and girls.

There's no way out of here,
When you're in here, you're here for good (David Gilmour)
Re: Just dropped by...
pingopuck #2946 09/05/09 10:15 AM

Nice to see you, pingo, although "New Users" is hardly the forum in which I'd expect to find you.

Sounds like you're enjoying your retirement; keep up the good work! grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
pingopuck #2948 09/05/09 10:38 AM

Welcome back, Pingo! Youth is wasted on the young and retirement is wasted on the old so enjoy your retirement because (at least by my standards), you're not old yet. grin

Photoshop is formidable and I'm an expert at maybe 2% of it. If you have any questions, either post in these forums or email me privately.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
pingopuck #2960 09/05/09 12:37 PM

welcome home pingo!!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
pingopuck #2965 09/05/09 01:22 PM

Thread moved from New Users to the Lounge.

Originally Posted By: pingopuck
...just recently started taking a course for "seniors". Not that we feel ourselves so old at 59!

Hi, pingo. smile

You may want to compare notes with Paul Dickinson; he and his wife are now enjoying movies as "seniors".

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
...or email me privately.

Jon, you know better than to use these forums to offer private help with issues which can perfectly well be addressed right here and thereby benefit other current and future users.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 09/05/09 01:32 PM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #2967 09/05/09 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Jon, you know better than to use these forums to offer private help with issues which can perfectly well be addressed right here and thereby benefit other current and future users.
Yep, you're right. Sorry about that!

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
pingopuck #2974 09/05/09 02:32 PM

Glad to "see" you Pingopuck and a heart felt welcome to FineTunedMac! I'm not surprised to hear you are failing retirement. I know my wife and I did.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
pingopuck #2975 09/05/09 02:41 PM

And indeed I am pleased to see you as well. Ah, what a welcome sight you are!

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #2991 09/05/09 06:25 PM
OP Offline

Hey, what a lot of warm welcomes, and glad to see you're all still around. Sorry, my fault to post in New Users... As a Mac-user since 1987, I can hardly consider myself new. Nowadays, however, with all this new (Intel) equipment and sophisticated software, I do have more questions than answers, especially since I feel I have focussed a bit too much on other stuff (such as photography) during the last year and a half. You will find me around from time to time, just looking for ideas or solutions, and (hopefully) offering some suggestions of my own.

And... if there are any questions about Belgium in general, or Belgian beers in particular, I might come in handy! wink

jchuzi #2992 09/05/09 06:31 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Welcome back, Pingo! Youth is wasted on the young and retirement is wasted on the old so enjoy your retirement because (at least by my standards), you're not old yet. grin

Photoshop is formidable and I'm an expert at maybe 2% of it. If you have any questions, either post in these forums or email me privately.

Thanks, Jon, for your wise words and your kind offer re PS. A "forum animal" myself, I must agree with DK on this one, be it for the reason that a forum benefits more people than just you and me. That's what forum life is all about. smile

artie505 #2993 09/05/09 06:33 PM
OP Offline

As an ex-chemist myself, I love your avatar, Artie. Quite opposite to the old alchemists! Good to see you're still going strong.

pingopuck #3014 09/06/09 12:13 AM

Welcome back, pingopuck, your avatar was always one of my favorites; it's good to see it again!

Like Jon, I am quite competent with about 2% of Photoshop, but it might be a different 2%, which is another reason to keep troubleshooting questions public! Of course, I'm still using Photoshop CS . . . blush

MacBook Pro, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8
bob82xrp #3023 09/06/09 01:32 AM

Hi Pingo smile

I hope that the 2% photoshop experts around use a different 2% than my meagre 1% grin

kiwichris #3042 09/06/09 08:29 AM

Hi pingo, hi Chris. It's a small world, huh?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #3043 09/06/09 08:41 AM
OP Offline

Just mention the word "Photoshop" and my favourite photographers pop up immediately. Seen Chris somewhere else recently grin , but it's quite some time since I saw you, Freelance. Still doing fine, I hope. I remember your beautiful pics of London pub interiors. (Well... if it's beer, I'm always interested cool )

Last edited by pingopuck; 09/06/09 08:42 AM.

pingopuck #3045 09/06/09 09:14 AM

Yeah. I'm still trying to work out how to turn the bottom of a pint glass into a lens. grin Discovered Karmeliet Triple in a Bruges hostelry recently. Lovely.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
pingopuck #3062 09/06/09 02:32 PM

Welcome back Pingo! My favorite time of year is when the pucks start dropping...

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
freelance #3116 09/06/09 11:53 PM

Sure is and nice to see you again Freelance. I still have a pic of you and your bike and some kids on my 'puter smile

freelance #3165 09/07/09 11:01 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: freelance
Discovered Karmeliet Triple in a Bruges hostelry recently. Lovely.

Now that's indeed a great beer!
I know that gentlemen prefer blond, but I prefer the dark (double) trappist and abbey beers, as opposed to the blod (triple) ones.

So glad to see how many of us "survived"!

pingopuck #3169 09/07/09 11:32 AM

One of my bartender friends recently turned me on to Palm draught, pingo...very enjoyable beer.

Bearing in mind that there are not all that many draught Belgian beers available in your average NYC hoisting spot, how does it compare?

Thanks.

> As an ex-chemist myself, I love your avatar, Artie. Quite opposite to the old alchemists!

Some context, pingo...

You weren't around when it happened, so you're unaware that my avatar was my reaction to my attaining "Mac Wizard" status on that other board. (It kinda loses something without that title appearing directly above it, doesn't it?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
pingopuck #3176 09/07/09 01:24 PM

Quote:
I know that gentlemen prefer blond, but I prefer the dark (double) trappist and abbey beers, as opposed to the blond (triple) ones.

Hear, hear! Tripel Karmeliet is an excellent beer (I even have a glass for it), but I'll choose a Westmalle Dubbel or a Westvleteren 8 (or Westvleteren 12 Quad!) over it any day. And while not a trappist, one of my favorite Belgian standbys is always a Corsendonk Pater. But of course there's plenty of love for all kinds! smile

donikatz #3373 09/09/09 11:14 AM
OP Offline

Hi, Doni, I was waiting for you to show up! grin
As a matter of fact, Corsendonck is brewed not far from where we live (but then, nothing is far in Belgium in comparison with the US). It's one of the few I like the least, as I find it a bit too sticky. But tastes may vary... Since it is brewed quite closeby, it is almost omnipresent in the local pubs.
You should try to get hold of a Chimay Blue. I have heard it is available in the US. But if you have heard of Westmalle (again, brewed in our region - in fact, we are located half way between the Westmalle and Corsendonck breweries), or Westvleteren, you know what a REALLY good trappist should taste like.

artie505 #3374 09/09/09 11:19 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
One of my bartender friends recently turned me on to Palm draught, pingo...very enjoyable beer.

Bearing in mind that there are not all that many draught Belgian beers available in your average NYC hoisting spot, how does it compare?

Thanks.

> As an ex-chemist myself, I love your avatar, Artie. Quite opposite to the old alchemists!

Some context, pingo...

You weren't around when it happened, so you're unaware that my avatar was my reaction to my attaining "Mac Wizard" status on that other board. (It kinda loses something without that title appearing directly above it, doesn't it?)

grin Now I understand...

As regards Palm: not bad at all, amber-coloured and a bit more bitter than the darker beers I personally prefer. Quite well marketed actually and definitely more present in the pubs than De Koninck, which is its Antwerp competitor. I prefer the latter, but will have a Palm on occasion.

pingopuck #3376 09/09/09 11:39 AM

Yessir, outside of Stella & Hoegaarden, Chimay may be the most widely-available Belgian brand in the US (AB brands don't count, sorry InBev). In fact, Chimay Blue was the first Trappist I ever had way back when. I think because it's so common here my mind wanders to brews that are a little less so, but you're right, I definitely have to put it high on the list. Excellent!

As for hard to find beer in the US, for my birthday a couple of months ago my wife found a specialty importer downtown and bought me a dozen Belgian ales and a few glasses to compliment. Did I mention I love my wife? grin

donikatz #3377 09/09/09 11:55 AM

Speaking of beer, not to rah rah USA or anything, but in the last decade the craft beer movement has really exploded here (NYC Craft Beer Week starts this weekend!) so it's exciting to no longer have to go across the pond to find amazing and interesting brews. Sadly for my wallet, I just discovered a great craft beer bar opened last year around the corner from my office; I intend to lose a lot of money there in the future.

That said, beer never tasted as good as when I was in Brussels last year. Especially the Gueuze (!), which is surprisingly hard to find Stateside, despite fruit lambics being very popular. In fact, Lindemans probably rivals Chimay in popularity here. Another brand that seems to be making a big marketing push is Leffe, even before the AB-InBev merger. Meh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard