Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Snow Leopard Prefers Staying Awake
#2936 09/05/09 05:02 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

IMac G5 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz

I found that the machine at the log-in window wanted to be clicked exactly three times before it would go to Sleep.

I booted from the Leopard disc and ran Disk Utility including Permissions Repair. . It said the volume was okay but did something called "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required". Two permissions were repaired - both beginning "Private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default"

Now it goes to sleep on one click but does not stay in Sleep mode. I don't know how long until it awakens but I will go back to the machine sometime later to find the screen on.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Snow Leopard Prefers Staying Awake
ryck #2951 09/05/09 10:44 AM

It's possible that this has nothing to do with Snow Leopard. I have found that momentary brown-outs will wake my computer even though it is connected to an UPS. Are you having any electrical issues that might be relevant?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #2970 09/05/09 02:15 PM

If you have a USB connection between the UPS and the Mac, when the UPS signals switching over to battery, that will be interpreted the same as a keyboard or mouse action and wake the Mac. I saw that several times the other evening when a line of thunderstorms moved through our area.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2972 09/05/09 02:19 PM

That must be it. Thanks for the explanation.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #2985 09/05/09 04:47 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Are you having any electrical issues that might be relevant?

I don't think so. We're on an island and power arrives on a big bajeezus submarine cable. There are periodic power issues but in our eight years here we've never had a Sleep problem. That time-frame includes everything from OS9 through all the OSX's. The equipment difference is from PPC to Intel.

Maybe I just need to wait for 10.6.1

ryck

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3015 09/06/09 12:22 AM

Do you have the same sleep issue on another account on the same Mac?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #3020 09/06/09 01:15 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Do you have the same sleep issue on another account on the same Mac?

Yes - my wife's. I have accounts that the kids use when they visit but I don't know their passwords, so can't check.

However, the machine seems now to have decided that Sleep is okay and has been remaining in that mode for the past 12 hours or so.

Unfortunately, while sleeping in logout, the machine now has a different hiccup. I'll start a separate thread.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Disappearing Menu Bar Icons
#3021 09/06/09 01:26 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Sometimes after my machine has been in the Sleep mode (set at the log-in window), and I log back in, the menu bar items from the right side only will be missing - everything from the Bluetooth icon to the Spotlight.

To restore them I either do a Restart or a Shutdown and reboot. However, both of these actions are quite long - usually nearly two minutes to get to the black screen.

ryck

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/06/09 01:38 AM. Reason: ryck started another thread with this post but it seems likely that the solution to this and his original topic will be one in the same so I have merged the two threads.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3022 09/06/09 01:31 AM

The fact this happens on your wife's account as well as your own tells me the problem is systemic and not unique to your user account.
  • What, if any, applications are running when you sleep your system? If you are not certain open Activity Monitor and see what all is running.
  • In System Preferences > Energy Saver is Wake for network access checked?
  • Do you have a wireless mouse and/or keyboard?
  • Is Bluetooth turned on?
  • Is your network wired or wireless?
  • By any chance do you have a cat? My son's cats love to walk across the keyboard or bat the mouse around and light up his monitor. I've seen two of them do it on different occasions and it was obviously intentional. They would watch the screen saver until the screen blanked then walk on the keyboard again. shocked

By-the-way ryck the iMac G5 has a PPC processor and cannot run OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). You probably want to edit your signature and delete the G5 reference to avoid confusion.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #3076 09/06/09 05:42 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Applications should all be off. Sleep is always used after a logout.

In Energy Saver is Wake for network access checked? No.

Do you have a wireless mouse and/or keyboard? No.

Is Bluetooth turned on? No.

Is your network wired or wireless? Wired. I have both but only fire up the wireless on those occasions when we use the computer elsewhere in the house or when the kids visit.

By any chance do you have a cat? No cats here and, as far as I know, the dogs aren't on the desk - although I have a sneaking hunch one is on the sofa when we're out.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/06/09 06:36 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3127 09/07/09 12:27 AM

I am running out of ideas but since you are logged out when the computer wakes up that would seem to indicate a high probability of some external influence triggering the wakeup. This will take some time but you might try disconnecting external connections one at a time and see if and when the wakeups stop. I would start with being sure Airport and Bluetooth are both turned off in System Preferences. From there I would progress to disconnecting the ethernet cable, then anything on the USB port(s), then the firewire port(s). If your computer still wakes with all the external devices disconnected and/or turned off then it has to be something internal and it will probably be a real pain to isolate.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #3300 09/08/09 04:10 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
.... and it will probably be a real pain to isolate.

That's for sure, but we may now be there.

Airport and Bluetooth were both off and the Firewire remained (external drive for Time Machine) but these USB devices were disconnected:

Machine Port: Belkin hub with printer, still camera cable, trackball and iPod Nano.
Machine Port: Elgato tuner

Note: The camera USB is just the camera cable with the camera attached as needed.

When these devices were connected I was noticing that it was "iffy" whether my iPod icon would show up on the desktop. Assuming the problem was with the hub, I reconnected my iPod to the other keyboard port. I also assumed the iPod inconsistency might be related to the fact that, during the last few days, the iPod received an Apple update. The new USB connection status was:

Machine Port: Keyboard with mouse and iPod.

Problems actually got worse and came to a head yesterday morning with the machine getting to the log-in window but no input from the keyboard or mouse clicks - although the mouse would move the cursor. I did a forced shutdown using the power switch.

The machine got as far as a blue screen. I did this twice, same result twice. Then, with the machine locked on the blue screen, I unplugged the iPod. The login window immediately appeared with full keyboard and mouse functionality.

I rebooted with the Snow Leopard disc to run Disk Tools and Permissions. I got this caution: Warning: SUID file "System/library/Core Services/Remote Management/ARDAgent.app/contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I moved that file to the Trash, did a reinstall, and reconnected USBs. Current configuration:

Machine Port: Belkin hub with printer, still camera cable and trackball.
Machine Port: Elgato tuner
Machine Port: Keyboard with mouse.

Since then everything's been working as it should. This morning I ran the Disk Tools and Permissions - got Volume okay and no permissions needed repair.

The iPod remains a mystery. The likelihood of a bad cable seems slim as it does not get a lot of plugging and unplugging at the iPod end and never at the USB end.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/08/09 04:15 PM. Reason: added info

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3303 09/08/09 04:39 PM

Hah! Finally nailed that sucker. Sorry it took so long.

Try another cable with your iPod Nano. It is entirely possible there is a broken or otherwise damaged lead somewhere in that cable that is causing the problems. It can happen even when there is no apparent damage externally.

You Belkin USB hub would have been my first suspect simply because hubs are so often flakey but that does not appear to be the case here.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard