FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Finder
grelber #28777 04/27/14 04:53 PM

Quote:
I opened Onyx and searched until I hit Parameters > Finder > Finder Menu > Show Quit Finder, which was enabled (apparently by default)...

Not by default, no. OnyX reads the current state of each of those parameters, then displays those states as the presence or absence of checkmarks in the relevant checkboxes. So when you launched OnyX, the app noted that the Finder Quit menu item was already enabled on your system, and thus displayed a checkmark in the checkbox.

Otherwise—if OnyX applied a set of default parameter values whenever it was opened—you'd have to go through and reset all multiple dozens of them (or however many you'd changed from the defaults) before closing the app, or all your preferred tweaks would be undone.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #28778 04/27/14 05:07 PM

It is a useful tool, but I don't believe it was introduced in any particular version of OS X. As I said earlier, I believe the only way to add a Quit menu item to Finder is via Terminal's defaults write command

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool true

or via a third-party utility which provides a GUI front end to that command. This appears to have been available at least as far back as OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

dkmarsh #28784 04/27/14 09:30 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Then that's all the more a puzzlement. I've never used (and wouldn't know how to use) Terminal's defaults write command, and I can't think of any other app/utility I've got which might install such.
But it's gone now, and I hope it stays that way.

Terminal commands or any other such which could conceivably bugger up the OS I avoid like the plague, since I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing.

grelber #28788 04/27/14 10:02 PM

For lack of an alternative, I'll guess that you checked that OnyX box at some point and just plain forgot about it. (It's not like it's something I've never done myself. wink )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #28789 04/27/14 10:07 PM

I'm not questioning "Quit Finder's" usefulness; I've had this AppleScript

Code:
do shell script "osascript -e 'tell application \"Finder\" to quit'"

hot keyed longer than I can remember, and I use it often enough to appreciate having it.

I was only questioning the command's ever having been default in OS X.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #28793 04/28/14 07:58 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
For lack of an alternative, I'll guess that you checked that OnyX box at some point and just plain forgot about it. (It's not like it's something I've never done myself. wink )

Nope. I never messed with anything in OnyX; only used it a couple times briefly "right out of the box", was disturbed by some of the things it could do, and then left it in "cold storage".

grelber #28794 04/28/14 08:10 AM

Got me beat! confused

joemikeb #28796 04/28/14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
Got it, but now your situation has turned anomalous: You seem to be the only user here with an apparently default "Quit Finder" option in your Menu Bar. (I haven't got one in 10.6.8.)

Grelber is not the only one here that has the Finder > Quit (also command+Q). I have had it for several years and honestly do not remember in what version of OS X it began in. FWIW I have found it very useful when some Finder operation gets hung and use it reasonably often. It is a useful tool.

Unless it came and went, it is not present on my Desktops by default in 10.9.x .

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #28802 04/28/14 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Unless it came and went, it is not present on my Desktops by default in 10.9.x .

It is entirely possible I might have activated Finder > Quit on my desktop or my wife's desktop, at some time in the past. On the other hand, I have made it a point to keep my Server running OS X 10.9.2 completely unmodified and it has Finder > Quit activated. I also checked my grandson's computer in Florida, also running OS X 10.9.2, as well as several friend's Macs also running 10.9.2 and each and every one of them has Finder > Quit turned on. I have no explanation why it is not showing up on your Desktops and it is on Desktops scattered from Texas to Florida. To quote Yul Bryner in The King and I "Tiz a puzzlement."

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #28809 04/28/14 10:20 PM

I've been unable to find a single internet reference to any default provision of a Quit item in the Finder menu in any version of OS X, yet I've found pages and pages of results explaining how to add such an item via Terminal. When such a result has included comments, not a single commenter has claimed to have had a Finder Quit command as part of a default installation of OS X.

I went looking for evidence from the horse's mouth, but found no references to a Finder Quit command—or the absence of one—in the admittedly meager documentation regarding the Finder at support.apple.com. However, an image search there was somewhat more successful: assuming that screenshots posted by Apple to illustrate fundamental concepts are taken from plain-vanilla installations, there's no Quit to be found in the Finder menu in Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion.

I can only suppose those in your informal survey either share customizing inclinations similar to your own or in fact were at some earlier point persuaded by your exposition of the benefits of having a Quit option in Finder. wink

joemikeb #28817 04/29/14 04:26 PM

"I have no explanation why it is not showing up on your Desktops and it is on Desktops scattered from Texas to Florida."

Your statement provides the answer! Clearly it is a geographical issue and California has not yet implemented the "kill Finder switch". wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #28820 04/29/14 04:45 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
"I have no explanation why it is not showing up on your Desktops and it is on Desktops scattered from Texas to Florida."
Your statement provides the answer! Clearly it is a geographical issue and California has not yet implemented the "kill Finder switch". wink

And the "big one" is coming, so it'll all be moot in time. Las Vegas will be beachfront property. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard