An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why can't certain updates be downloaded?
#28455 03/20/14 07:22 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Certain updates/upgrades don't seem to be downloadable from Apple's Support-Downloads page; in fact they don't even show up. I refer to things such as Safari 6.1.2 and Mac App Store Update, which show up under Software Update but nowhere else.

I prefer to download stand-alone dmg files so that I can install them at my discretion (not replace what I already have). That does not appear possible under the present Apple regime.

I do note that these are available "off-site", but I'm not sure I trust third-party sources (eg, Softonic, Macupdate).

Anyone got a clue what's going on?

Re: Why can't certain updates be downloaded?
grelber #28456 03/21/14 02:17 AM

Your Safari update *may* have been released as part of an incremental OS X update (as has happened in the past), thus, no freestanding update. (Does MacUpdate actually offer a Safari 6.1.2 d/l? I couldn't find it.)

There have been updates prior to the Mac App Store Update that have also not been available other than through SU, Java, I believe, having been several of them, but I've never been certain as to why.

I wouldn't trust a source other than Apple for Apple d/l's.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #28457 03/21/14 09:44 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
(Does MacUpdate actually offer a Safari 6.1.2 d/l? I couldn't find it.)

I didn't really investigate past Softonic but noted that they offered numerous updates when I Googled such.

grelber #28458 03/21/14 10:13 AM

I've run across Softonic but never investigated their offerings; if it's Apple, I want it directly from Apple.

In my experience, MacUpdate only offers Apple software in the form of links to Apple's Website or the App Store.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard