An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wireless-G Router and Time Warner Cable?
#28373 03/13/14 03:33 PM
OP Offline

I am really sick of paying for Time Warner's Arris modem box rental (yeah, they charge now.) Is there a way to hook up the internet directly to my Wireless G or do I need a different cable modem and if so, will the Cisco-Linksys BEFCMU10 Ethernet Cable Modem work? Is it better to get one of those COAX to Ethernet adapters and then run that into the Wireless G or is it all the same?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Wireless-G Router and Time Warner Cable?
slolerner #28375 03/13/14 03:46 PM

I am not familiar with your ISP provider nor the hardware (so why am I responding?), BUT why rent the modem box? You can buy a third-party equivalent and end your rent.

This is possible with my provider (AT&T and also with Comcast/Xfinity) and I have never rented a box. Check with some big box electronics store in your area and make sure you tell them it has to be compatible with Time Warner.

Or is there more going on with your question?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #28376 03/13/14 04:00 PM
OP Offline

A little more, Ira. Everything I look at seems to be compatible with Comcast. Although Time Warner has a list of recommendations, I have looked at several reviews of those and people are saying they work intermittently. I spoke to an HDTV supplier today and then spoke to 'someone' at Time Warner about using what is called a COAX to ethernet adapter, is that the same as a cable modem?

I would like to stay in the Cisco/Linksys line of products because that is the brand of my router and now my range extender. I want one support place to call if it all does not 'jive.' You know "The problem is with your..."

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28382 03/13/14 07:08 PM

I don't have Time Warner (apparently soon to become Comcast according to the news reports) but I do have a cable modem and most current cable modems are built to the Data Over Cable Service Interface Standard (DOCSIS) 3 specifications and therefore interchangeable. Cable providers often have cable modems models built to their specification but they are still compliant with the DOCSIS standard. Take a look at the labels on your cable box and see if it doesn't list the DOCSIS specification it is built to. DOCSIS 3 is backward compatible with DOCSIS 1.x and DOCSIS 2 but supports higher data speeds than either of the older standards.

The cable modem may, or may not, be a router and may, or may not, create a wireless network. In my case I have a Cisco DPC3008 cable modem with an ethernet connection to an Apple 3TB Time Capsule which serves as my router and creates my WiFi network as well as serving as a Time Machine drive for three Mac minis. I landed on the Cisco router after a second Motorola cable modem failed. (It was the one the cable technician hauled around in his truck to troubleshoot cable installations.)

One peculiarity of cable modems, or it may be a peculiarity of Charter Cable, is when attaching a new modem to their cable, I have to call their tech support to properly "populate" (I believe that is the word they use) the new modem or it will not work.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #28392 03/14/14 05:50 AM
OP Offline

I have noticed that the cable company does have to send a signal to a new box, they also once had to do something that sounded like 'clearing the cache' that is not done when you power it off and on. I was looking at this, Time Warner says it is compatible: Cisco-Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Cable/DSL Router

It may duplicate the services I have with the Wireless G except I'm not sure it has the N Network. It is the same form factor and will not add to the monster mash of equipment, will just stack. I was wondering maybe I could pick up one of these cheap and ethernet it to my wireless G to get the N network, which is what the extender I just got is using. My Wireless G says it is a broadband broadband router, but there is no place to attach a CATV, just an ethernet jack. I don't know how fast it is, tho...

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard