for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changing the type size in Mavericks
#28248 02/28/14 02:01 PM
OP Offline

My cuz is having trouble seeing the type on the screen on his new 27" iMac. I knocked down the resolution, but why lose the beautiful resolution for this? Also, that makes the type a little bigger than necessary. Looked under Accessibility but can't find a type size adjustment. He needs it through all apps and the finder.

Re: Changing the type size in Mavericks
slolerner #28249 02/28/14 02:25 PM

My wife's Mom has the same issue on her 20 inch iMac....the best accommodation that we were able to come up with was to use the Zoom function in the Accessibility PrefPane.

Helping her to understand that making everything bigger on HER screen did NOTHING for increasing the size of the fonts that are sent out by e-mail was a totally different issue. ;=))

We tried using the preferences within each individual program (i.e., Safari, Mail, etc), but that very quickly entered the "too hard" category.

The keyboard shortcuts for Zoom are pretty simple, but not everyone deals well with keyboard shortcuts.....

Option - Command 8 will toggle the Zoom function On and Off
Option - Command = (same keycap as the + symbol) will Zoom In {larger sizes}
Option - Command - will Zoom Out {smaller sizes}

Good luck with this!

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
slolerner #28251 02/28/14 02:32 PM

In addition to the zoom in/out feature, you might want to check out Apple's website describing all the features of Universal Access at www.apple.com/accessibility .

Also the Add-On NoSquint is a handy extension (for Firefox at least) which allows individualized settings for every site visited.

slolerner #28252 02/28/14 02:45 PM

The old standby freeware Tinkertool allows you to specify the typeface and size for all the system functions. I have used it for years and cannot imagine being without it. However, larger type sizes may spill over on some menus, etc. In Safari > Preferences > Advanced you can set a minimum font size but here again on some web pages you may encounter spillover.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard