FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help, please! :)
artie505 #27662 12/11/13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
> With the mention of Command-l in the thread, I did another test and found that issuing that Command-l using the keyboard does nothing.

Sorry, ryck, I don't follow you.

What is the character that follows command- in the above quote? (It looks like an l.c. L, which has not been mentioned in this thread.)

blush

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #27663 12/11/13 05:44 PM

Quote:
...cruising Safari's menu items reveals that every command that incorporates ⇧ also includes a letter that's displayed as u.c. despite the fact that the command's intention is l.c.

Have you ever seen a menu command that includes a letter which is not displayed as upper case?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27670 12/12/13 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
...cruising Safari's menu items reveals that every command that incorporates ⇧ also includes a letter that's displayed as u.c. despite the fact that the command's intention is l.c.

Have you ever seen a menu command that includes a letter which is not displayed as upper case?

That's a very good point. If the menu command displayed a lower case letter, like "⇧f" you can bet that people looking at their keyboard would say there is no "f", I only see "F".

This is similar to the instruction: "Push any key. Where's the 'Any' key?" smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
dkmarsh #27759 12/27/13 07:30 AM
OP Online

Edit: Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

By implication, yes, on my OS X Install and Apple Hardware Test discs where it says "hold down the C or D key", respectively, and in several similarly worded Apple docs. (Somebody at Apple apparently recognizes that "X" is ambiguous in the context of a keyboard command.)

And in response to Ira, that ambiguity could just as easily lead people to depress the shift key when it's unnecessary, or, possibly worse, when it will produce unwanted results.

And further muddying Apple's consistency is the fact that control and option are represented by ^ and ⌥, which have absolutely nothing to do with the appearance of their respective keys.

Last edited by artie505; 12/27/13 07:34 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard