FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Airport Extreme Port Mapping
#27503 11/22/13 01:58 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm using an Airport Extreme (MC340LL/A - 4th generation model with up-to-date firmware) connected by ethernet cable to my Comcast modem. I'm using Airport Utility 6.3.2. My MBP i7 is LAN connected by a switch to my Airport Extreme.

I've got Polycom's RealPresence Desktop 3.0 (H.323 video conferencing software for Mac) installed and I've succesfully completed test calls within my WiFi network to my iPad Air (using RealPresence Mobile). I've got loads of bandwidth on my Comcast connection.

When I made a test call to an outside H.323 endpoint, the endpoint could see and hear me just fine. I received no inbound audio or video; so, I've got a firewall issue (even though I click "Allow" when starting RP Desktop and I receive an pop-up about allowing the RP app to accept incoming network connections).

Polycom advises that for an H.323 video call, I must set my router (the AE, in this case) to open Ports 1720 (TCP) for H.323 call setup and Port 1731 (TCP) for audio call control. (These must be bi-directional.)

For H.245 content sharing, Polycom advises Ports 3230-3243 (TCP) must be opened. (I'd like to set that up, if reasonably possible, but it's not vital - given my video needs.)

I do know my Public IP (provided by Comcast) as well as the Internal IP (for my MBP on my Network) assigned by my switch.

Does anyone know precisely how to set up Port Mapping, as well as opening the requisite Ports, using Airport Utility?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: Airport Extreme Port Mapping
pbGuy #27511 11/22/13 11:37 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the completeness of information on your network!

In Airport Utility 6.3.2 you will find the port settings under Network > Port Settings and click on the plus sign ( + ) below the port list to add new ports. It is reasonably self explanatory after that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #27526 11/23/13 03:10 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Follow-up questions -

1. In the Port Settings set up, there's entry boxes for Public & Private TCP Ports. Based upon the ports, I want to open, do I entry 1720 & 1731 in both entry boxes?
1.1 Also in this set up window, the Private IP Address was pre-filled with a Internal IP that is not the Internal IP for my MBP. ...Am I correct to have edited this entry to be the Internal IP assigned, by my switch, to my MBP?

2. Back to the Network tab and under the Network Options, there are various entry areas. There's a check box for "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol." (It was unchecked.) Do I check it?
2.1 Below the check box referenced above, there's another check box for "Enable default host at: " and this check box is also unchecked. Should this check box be checked? ...If so, then what detail is placed into the entry area to the right of the check box? (The Public IP Address - my IP for my Comcast internet modem?)

Follow-up Note: Based upon reading more about Airport Utility 6.x, it appears setting the Default Host is setting the client computer - my MBP - and is completed by entering the Internal IP set for my MBP. ...Do you concur?

As an aside, I'm wondering if I should take my Netgear Switch out of my network loop since the Airport Extreme can also act as a switch. Does this make sense?

Last edited by pbGuy; 11/23/13 04:28 PM.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #27539 11/25/13 09:21 PM

I would leave the Netgear switch in the network if it simplifies/shortens the ethernet cable runs and it is down net from the Airport Extreme. In other words the ethernet would run from the modem to the Airport Extreme then to the Netgear switch then to any ethernet devices connected to the switch.

I am assuming the Comcast modem is a pure modem and is not providing any routing services. If it were, I would configure it to simply pass the signal through (bridge mode) to the Airport Express and let the AE provide all of the routing and security services for your network. That configuration would be far more likely to get your services through without interference.

The private IP address is used to distribute data coming through the ports you opened directly to the computer that will be servicing these signals. You would have to manually configure your MBP to use only that IP address. The default IP address listed is one up from the range of IP addresses your Airport Extreme is distributing via DHCP but you could specify another IP address if you so desired. Personally I would use the default.

It has been a while since I did any major network configuration and not having setup this specific configuration before, some trail and error may be required to get everything right, but this should be very close if not spot on. The current generation of Airport Utility makes the whole job so much easier than it used to be.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #27546 11/25/13 11:47 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your recommendations and assistance.

I'll update once I've completed a successful video call and can confirm the port mapping settings. I'm sure others could also benefit.

joemikeb #27554 11/26/13 11:53 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, I've edited the Port Mapping (as well as the default IP).

I've entered the TCP Ports (in the Public TCP Ports & Private TCP Ports entry areas) as

1720, 1731

There's a space after the comma. (As the instructions from Polycom call for respective, single ports (1720 is for H.323 call setup; 1731 is for audio call support) and not a range, I've assumed the above format is proper.

My Private IP is entered in that entry area.

When I connected to the same H.323 video endpoint, where I attempted an earlier video call, again, I was seen / heard by the endpoint, but I didn't receive any inbound video / audio even though my video conferencing software was showing the call connected (time elapse was confirming).

Have I not entered the TCP Port addresses correctly?

pbGuy #27556 11/27/13 01:53 AM

Without the same AE on-hand at this end, I can only offer conjecture based on what I've experienced with other router port-mapping interfaces I've seen.....

OK, disclaimer applied --

You may have to port each of your forwards on separate lines within the router, rather than trying to have a single line-entry perform both......alternatively, even though they aren't calling for a range of ports, you could define a range that includes both ports within that range and see how that works initially then narrow things down to just the two ports in question afterwards.

Good luck.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #27557 11/27/13 02:16 AM

I was wondering about you just the other day.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of the crew in far, far away land. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #27563 11/27/13 04:22 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've since tried making further AE adjustments, but not gaining success.

Snapshots should make it easier to assist when one does not have my version, Airport Utility 6.3.2.

How can I upload snapshots of the various settings within AE's Network set-up as well as my System Preferences' Network? ...Entering an Image seemingly wants to establish a URL for the image(s), and I don't have any way to provide a secure way (on my end) since I don't have a public web page.

pbGuy #27613 12/06/13 02:00 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

A quick update, which is a lack of progress -

I've attempted adjusting the Port Mapping settings, although I'm not sure I'm entering the correct ports - and, I've not received confirmation from my inquiry at Polycom's forum about the correct ports (regarding Polycom's RealPresence Desktop 3.0 as I've got Release Notes which have some different port details).

Since making several adjustments, I'm still unable to receive video / audio when connecting a video call.

So, I'm stuck...

While I realize responses in this Forum can't confirm the exact Ports needed by Polycom's video software, I remain hopeful about confirming correct setup (entering TCP & UDP ports) of Port Mapping in my AE setup.

Again if there's a way to now show snapshots of the particular, AE tabs, I'd like to provide them as they may be helpful to those who've previously attempted assistance. ...How can I do this?

pbGuy #27614 12/06/13 03:02 PM

> Again if there's a way to now show snapshots of the particular, AE tabs, I'd like to provide them as they may be helpful to those who've previously attempted assistance. ...How can I do this?

Take command-shift-3 or command-shift-4 screenshots of the tabs you'd like us to see, upload them to a hosting site, and post the links you are given.

I use ImageShack (free).

Edit: If you're running Dropbox, you can use it to link to your screenshots, but I can't provide details.

Last edited by artie505; 12/06/13 03:15 PM. Reason: Add options

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #27615 12/06/13 03:28 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'll use your suggestion of ImageShack and post snaps later today. ...Ok, it's later, and I think I've got My ImageShack set up correctly. Note: I'm listed as pdxGuy at Image Shack.

Here's the link to the Album with 5 snaps -

AE Port Mapping snaps

Again, as a review, my Mac's LAN IP has been set manually to a reserved LAN IP. (See Sys Pref - Manual IP snapshot as well as the Network Options snap)

I have setup Port Mapping on my Airport Extreme, using Airport Utility 6.3.2, to open (map to both Public & Private) TCP ports 1720, 1731. (See Airport Port Mapping snap - The 1720 port is for H323 call setup & 1731 port is for Audio Call Control -- These specific, TCP ports were recommended by a Polycom tech.)

But, please note I have not setup any UDP ports, and the same Polycom tech recommended opening 3230 - 3285, although the snaps, from Polycom’s Release Notes for the video software, show opening UDP ports 1719, 3230 - 3237, as well as 3238 for both UDP & TCP (if I’m reading the detail correctly). (See both the Incoming & Outgoing Ports snaps of the Polycom Release Notes)

While I wouldn’t expect anyone, in this Forum, to confirm the precise ports, I do hope the “format” of entering the ports into the AE Port Mapping tab, can be confirmed.

Also again as a reminder that when I activate Polycom video software, I click ALLOW for the pop-up "allow incoming network connections" through my OS 10.9 Firewall in Systems Pref Security & Privacy settings - in addition to the Polycom video software being already set for Allow Incoming Connection.

I’ll be glad to answer any follow-up questions. Thanks again for all thoughts. ...If I can eventually get these settings sorted out, the set-up will really be helpful to others as no one at Polycom (I'm sad to say) has a precise clue about Macs.

Last edited by pbGuy; 12/06/13 08:54 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard