FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trouble with web site
#27456 11/19/13 06:35 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I went to stereophile.com. The Sound & Vision graphic/link on the right side works, taking you to the Sound & Vision site, but the Stereophile graphic on the left side doesn't. Neither does the nav bar above the graphics. Try clicking on "Equipment Reviews, Rec Comp, Music, Columns," etc.

If I click on, say, "Columns," Firefox searches, the URL changes to http://www.stereophile.com/columns, but the screen remains the same like nothing happened. The nav bar links don't seem to work. Is this site done?

Try as many of the links that you want. I can't get many of them to load.

Firefox 3.6.28

Last edited by deniro; 11/19/13 06:37 PM.
Re: Trouble with web site
deniro #27458 11/19/13 08:11 PM

Same behavior in Safari 5.1.10.

Unfortunately, neither of the "Contact" buttons works, either.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
deniro #27460 11/19/13 08:27 PM

How very odd. The site works flawlessly for me in Chrome 31.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
deniro #27464 11/19/13 08:40 PM

I don't see a Sound & Vision link on the right side (what am I missing?). Everything else works (Safari 5.1.10, OS 10.6.8).

Have you experimented with extensions? In particular, disable Ghostery (if you have it), refresh the page, and try it again. FWIW, I have Ghostery and it doesn't seem to interfere but your experience might be different.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
deniro #27465 11/19/13 09:32 PM

It's an Extensions issue, but I haven't got the time to figure out which one right now.

For comparative purposes, here's a list of the ones I'm running:

AdBlockForSafari
ClickToFlash
ClickToPlugin
Defacer
Ghostery
oldschoogle
Shellfish
SnapBack

I'll note that I've already run across one Extensions issue that was caused by a combination of two of mine, the involvement of one of which is still a mystery to me.

Last edited by artie505; 11/19/13 09:53 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #27466 11/19/13 09:34 PM

As far as I can tell, I cannot find any link anywhere on the page that is not working using Safari 7.0. That is a switch. I did notice that some of the columns are slow loading so new links keep showing up for several seconds.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #27467 11/19/13 09:35 PM

2nd from the right (in the bar), to the left of "Shutterbug".

deniro #27468 11/19/13 10:17 PM

FWIW, the site works fine with Safari 5.0.6 under 10.5.8 (PPC iMac), and a bunch of (up-to-date) extensions active, including Ghostery.

More importantly and AFAICT, the site works fine too with Firefox 3.6.28. My copy uses a rather dated extension and plugin config, the list of which is quite long. You can get it quickly by selecting My Config > View My Config from the Tools menu. I agree with the suggestion that an extension is likely involved in the problem. The first step in troubleshooting that is to disable them all. Next, your extension/plugin config listing will allow us to suggest which one(s) is/are the most likely culprit(s).

alternaut moderator
alternaut #27471 11/19/13 11:24 PM

> I agree with the suggestion that an extension is likely involved in the problem.

Not a suggestion, but a fact based on experimentation (which, based on my positiveness, I thought was clear).

In my case, AdBlock is the guilty party, although why is not readily obvious. (This is the second instance I've run into of AdBlock's having a mysterious effect on a Web page.)

Update: I've just discovered that the culprit is AdBlock > AdBlock Options > Filter lists > EasyList, and I'll now guess that my other issue is also related to one AdBlock filter or another.

Note: I'm running an early version of AdBlock, 2.1.5, to be precise, and its format has changed in the interim, so deniro may have to do some experimentation.

artie505 #27472 11/19/13 11:30 PM

Quote:
2nd from the right (in the bar), to the left of "Shutterbug".

Screen shots might be in order. Seeing neither "Sound & Vision" nor "Shutterbug," I searched the page source and found those items in <div class="brandbarbox">. That code is nearly at the bottom of the page source, suggesting that I might not have scrolled down far enough in my initial examination of the page.

Sure enough—those links are all the way down at the bottom of the Stereophile home page for me, in both Safari 6.1 and Chrome 31.0.1650.57.

FWIW, here's what I see at the top of the page in Chrome, with Flash enabled, AdBlock disabled, and third-party cookies allowed.

Here's what I see at the bottom of the same page.

Everything I click on seems to work as expected.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27473 11/19/13 11:48 PM

The referenced bar is at the bottom of the page, with AdBlock blocking its mid-section (like so).

I see the same page-top you see when I disable AdBlock.

Edit: Clickable links work as expected with AdBlock disabled.

artie505 #27474 11/19/13 11:52 PM

Quote:
Not a suggestion, but a fact based on experimentation (which, based on my positiveness, I thought was clear).

Since deniro, running Firefox, made no mention of extensions, your experimental results with Safari extensions may not quite reach the threshold of "fact." wink

After all, alternaut states that the site works fine too with Firefox 3.6.28—the same version as deniro's. Meanwhile, the site works fine for me in Safari with AdBlock enabled, including EasyList.

Of course, it's entirely possible that deniro is running a Firefox version of AdBlock of the same generation as your Safari version, and is suffering the same glitch. But I don't think we've got sufficient information to declare a definitive conclusion at this point.

artie505 #27475 11/20/13 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The referenced bar is at the bottom of the page, with AdBlock blocking its mid-section (like so ).

Wow! So it's not that the links in the main navigation bar don't work—it's that none of the page content is displayed?

dkmarsh #27476 11/20/13 12:05 AM

Well, it is a fact/definitive conclusion in my instance. smirk

> FWIW, here's what I see at the top of the page in Chrome, with Flash enabled, AdBlock disabled, and third-party cookies allowed.

What do you see in Chrome with AdBlock enabled?

And for what it's worth, which versions of Safari and AdBlock for Safari are you running? (I just experimented by updating to AdBlock 2.6.14, the current version, and its version of EasyList does not affect the Web page at issue.)

I guess we now need to wait for an update from deniro.

dkmarsh #27477 11/20/13 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
The referenced bar is at the bottom of the page, with AdBlock blocking its mid-section (like so ).

Wow! So it's not that the links in the main navigation bar don't work—it's that none of the page content is displayed?

Both! No page content, and no working links anywhere that I tried...top or bottom.

artie505 #27478 11/20/13 12:10 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Disabling Adblock Plus 2.0.3 in Firefox did the trick.

deniro #27479 11/20/13 12:15 AM

That nails it! Thanks for the update.

(Time to begin thinking of extensions as possible culprits in any Safari issue.)

artie505 #27480 11/20/13 12:53 AM

(Time to begin thinking of extensions as possible culprits in any Safari issue.)

You might want to broaden 'Safari' to 'any web browser', with the caveat that a particular extension X may cause a problem in browser A, but not (necessarily) in browser B.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #27481 11/20/13 01:03 AM

Thanks for correcting me; my bad for both understating and (possibly) overstating the issue.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard