FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help, please! :)
#27443 11/19/13 06:54 AM
OP Online

I'm attempting to determine if my issue is unique to my installation, and to that end I'd appreciate some assistance from fellow users of OS X 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.10.

With Verizon DSL (if it makes a difference), e-mails created in Safari via command-i fail with this message:

Quote:
Cannot send message using the server smtp.verizon.net:xxxyyyzzz

Sending the message content to the server failed.

The failures occur in all my e-mail accounts, I've verified my Mail settings with Verizon (Nope! Their tech had absolutely no idea what may be up...wasn't even familiar with the command-i functionality.), and I've not experienced a single other e-mail glitch of any sort since this has begun happening, which, I think, was when I updated to Safari 5.1.10.

Thanks for any help. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Help, please! :)
artie505 #27446 11/19/13 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
....fellow users of OS X 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.10.

That's me and, like your Verizon tech, I was unaware of the Command-i functionality.

I just ran a quick test. Command-i brought up my Apple Mail with this page in the body and the Subject of the email was "Help, please! :)". I sent it to myself and it both went and was received without incident.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #27451 11/19/13 02:56 PM
OP Online

Thanks, ryck; I was afraid of that.

I hope somebody can come up with something, because I couldn't even get close to the question, let alone the answer, with Google. frown

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #27454 11/19/13 05:31 PM

I too was unaware of the Command+i trick, but I just tried it and duplicated ryck's results in Safari 7.0. I have thought of some tests you might try to see if they effect your results.

• I presume the results are similar on other sites?
  • Have you tried using another email host such as Google?
  • Have you tried turning off Safari extensions?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #27461 11/19/13 08:30 PM

Do you have the problem if you log into a test account?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #27483 11/20/13 07:27 AM
OP Online

> Have you tried turning off Safari extensions?

Bingo!

For the second time today, same as in deniro's thread, the culprit is the "EasyList" filter in my outdated version of AdBlock.

Many thanks! smile

(Gotta start thinking in a new direction when the question is "Safari?")

Edit: I guess I now owe everybody an explanation of why I refuse to update my version of AdBlock, so...

In its early incarnations, AdBlock included functionality that allowed users to block any element in an html page, the FTM masthead by way of example, and I loved the idea that I could block all the annoying proprietary stuff on the Web pages I visit regularly.

Through the version I'm running, v 2.1.5, the "block pane" was invoked by either hot key or contextual menu, and when the hot key disappeared in v 2.1.16 I stopped updating.

Just to see what's going on, though, I've tried updating to the most recent version, and as far as I can tell, the html blocking functionality is gone...BOO!!!

So unless somebody can tell me that I'm missing something (not too obvious, I hope), here I sit.

I'm at a loss, though, as to why the "EasyList" filter does not work similarly in both early and current versions of AdBlock. (Time to e-mail the dev, I guess.)

Edit 2: I've found that the functionality is intact, but its implementation has changed, and I don't know if I can easily transform what I've got into what I need (if I actually choose to deal with the hot key deletion). (Awaiting dev response.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/20/13 08:51 AM.

jchuzi #27484 11/20/13 07:32 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Do you have the problem if you log into a test account?

Good question, but joemike beat you to the punch by suggesting extensions as the possible cause of my problem.

ryck #27635 12/10/13 10:44 PM

where is that in the mail menu? I'd always thought that command keys triggered menu options, and therefore it must be in the menu somewhere, but i don't see it?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #27636 12/10/13 10:52 PM
OP Online

command-I is a Safari option, found under Safari > File.

artie505 #27637 12/10/13 11:06 PM

command-I is a Safari option, found under Safari > File.

I'm referring to the cmd-i behavior in mail.app

Virtual1 #27638 12/10/13 11:25 PM
OP Online

No such functionality was mentioned in this thread; ryck's post referred to Safari's command-I functionality that I questioned in my opening post.

artie505 #27640 12/10/13 11:37 PM

Nonetheless, it is curious that ⌘-i does produce an action in Mail, even though, as Virtual points out, there appears to be no corresponding menu command.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27641 12/11/13 01:22 AM
OP Online

Your post got me laughing and looking, because I've used command-i in Mail on innumerable occasions without ever having looked to see what is or isn't in the menu bar.

So here's the deal: command-i actually has two functions in Mail 4.6:
  1. When I'm composing an e-mail, it toggles italics.
  2. When I'm not composing, it calls up an "Info" window from which I can delete e-mails from my POP server.
And the command does appear in Mail's menu bar, but only once (that I can find), here .

Thanks for the push. smile

Edit: I've been meaning to post this, and now is an appropriate time: Coming around full circle, it turns out that command-i looks like it's got two functions in Safari, too, here , and here , but it doesn't toggle my toolbar; I can only do that from my menu bar.

Last edited by artie505; 12/11/13 01:52 AM.

artie505 #27643 12/11/13 01:44 AM

speculating… in the debug menu in mail? I assume it has one like many other os x apps (disk utility being the most useful perhaps) but I don't recall a debug menu in mail.

Virtual1 #27644 12/11/13 01:47 AM
OP Online

About what are you speculating? It's not at all clear.

artie505 #27646 12/11/13 04:12 AM

is the "edit pop account messages" window an option in a hidden Debug menu similar to the one in Disk Utility?

artie505 #27648 12/11/13 05:49 AM

...it turns out that command-i looks like it's got two functions in Safari, too, here , and here , but it doesn't toggle my toolbar; I can only do that from my menu bar.

That looks like ⌘| [shift-pipe, or shift-command-backslash] to me, not ⌘I. I can't test that theory, because that combo in Safari 6 is assigned to the Show All Tabs command (where, interestingly, it's displayed as ⇧⌘\)*; there is no keyboard equivalent for Show/Hide Toolbar.

*If my theory is in fact correct, then the display of the keyboard equivalent in the View menu in your version of Safari is inexplicably inconsistent with Apple's policy of including the ⇧ in combos requiring the shift key. (Also inconsistent, but from the other direction, is ⌘+ for Zoom In; I guess the intuitive pairing with ⌘- for Zoom Out overrides literalism in that case, since ⌘= is really the combo being used.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Virtual1 #27650 12/11/13 08:37 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

is the "edit pop account messages" window an option in a hidden Debug menu similar to the one in Disk Utility?

It's not an option I remember having enabled on my own, and if Mail has got a debug menu, I'm unaware of it.

Sorry, I've got absolutely no idea when or where I learned the trick, but I can say that I've been using it for years. (I mentioned POP, because that's what I use; I think the window also works for IMAP.)

Edit: I just looked in my plist to see if there was a relevant entry, and he only thing I found was

Code:
<key>AccountInfoLastSelectedAccountId</key>
	<string>1170d37e-0799-4ef4-bea3-d59569952851</string>

("Account Info" is the heading in command-i windows.)

Last edited by artie505; 12/11/13 09:51 AM.

dkmarsh #27651 12/11/13 09:18 AM
OP Online

Your theory is, indeed, correct. Thanks!

| and I are so similar looking, and I use pipe so rarely, virtually never, in fact, that the difference between the two didn't register; Apple's having used ⇧⌘\ would most certainly have been the intuitive thing to do in this instance.

And I've always wondered why Safari's menu shows ⌘+ for "Zoom In" when ⌘= works just fine...totally unintuitive.

(Hmmm... Now that you've mentioned it, I think I actually raised the | v I issue before; I hope it's burned into my brain this time around.)

artie505 #27654 12/11/13 12:19 PM

I just re-ran my original test..........

Originally Posted By: ryck
Command-i brought up my Apple Mail with this page in the body and the Subject of the email was "Help, please! :)". I sent it to myself and it both went and was received without incident.

........and the results were exactly the same.

With the mention of Command-l in the thread, I did another test and found that issuing that Command-l using the keyboard does nothing.

However, my Safari File shows Command-l as the keyboard equivalent for "Mail Contents of this Page".

And, if I go to File and select "Mail Contents of this Page", I get the same result as typing Command-i on the keyboard.

So it appears that it's Command-l in one place but Command-i in another.

Last edited by ryck; 12/11/13 12:26 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #27657 12/11/13 12:59 PM
OP Online

> With the mention of Command-l in the thread, I did another test and found that issuing that Command-l using the keyboard does nothing.

Sorry, ryck, I don't follow you.

What is the character that follows command- in the above quote? (It looks like an l.c. L, which has not been mentioned in this thread.)

Command-u.c. i opens a new e-mail with a link to the Safari page at which I'm looking.

artie505 #27658 12/11/13 01:26 PM

And I've always wondered why Safari's menu shows ⌘+ for "Zoom In" when ⌘= works just fine...totally unintuitive.

Actually I suspect that's how it works.

think about screen capture. shift-cmd-3. by the above they could have instead said cmd-#

the 3 (or in your case the =) refers to the key on the keyboard, not the character it produces. If it's shifted, it's still the 3 or the = key. the shift must be stated explicitly, and so the key is stated as un-shifted.

Though it's interesting to note that in that specific instance, cmd-= and cmd-+ both work. I wouldn't have expected it to work. Perhaps the shift is optional and acceptable if no other combo uses it.

Virtual1 #27659 12/11/13 01:48 PM
OP Online

I think you're on to something there, because cruising Safari's menu items reveals that every command that incorporates ⇧ also includes a letter that's displayed as u.c. despite the fact that the command's intention is l.c.

And further, commands that incorporate signs/symbols lack ⇧ because they're readily identifiable as requiring ⇧ if it's necessary (8/* by way of example), "pipe" being an exception, because it's so easily confused with "I".

And as you pointed out, the +/= thing is an anomaly.

artie505 #27660 12/11/13 01:54 PM

shift is probably only necessary where there are two menu options that are the same except for shift. in other cases, the shift is probably unnecessary but acceptable.

this may be true of other modifier keys as well.

I tested it in activity monitor because it's relatively sparse on command keys, and found that cmd-1 to open the activity window would merely bonk with any other modifiers held (shift, ctrl, or option) so guess not. They must have coded mail to allow shift also even though there's no clear indicator. They may have accomplished this via a hidden menu item, because programmatically (within their public frameworks) I don't think it's possible.

artie505 #27661 12/11/13 02:35 PM

I think you're on to something there, because cruising Safari's menu items reveals that every command that incorporates ⇧ also includes a letter that's displayed as u.c. despite the fact that the command's intention is l.c.

The letter is in upper case (probably) because the keyboard's key caps are all upper case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard