for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
migration boobytrap
#27431 11/18/13 09:48 PM
OP Offline

ok so you have an older imac and just got a new one. You happen to have a wired (usb) keyboard and mouse, but the new one is bluetooth. But you've had bluetooth turned off on the old imac for ages and don't even think about it.

The new imac boots up and you have no problems pairing it with the provided bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Start the migration from the old mac.

see where this is going?

migration finishes and the -> arrow is begging you to click to start using your mac. But your mouse isn't working. Nor is your keyboard. Both are off. And they just do the double green blink forever when you turn them on.

After a bit of puzzling, realize you can try the keyboard and mouse from your old imac. Move usb keyboard over from other mac. Finish setup. Back at desktop on new imac, ok lets re-pair with the... wait... why is bluetooth OFF?

gotta love that. imacs that come with only a bluetooth keyboard and mouse will migrate the "bluetooth off" setting.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: migration boobytrap
Virtual1 #27445 11/19/13 12:59 PM

It seems to me there was something like that with old iMacs when booting in to Safe Boot, e.g., you couldn't enter your PW at the prompt because the bluetooth had not (yet) loaded. The solution was to hunt up a wired keyboard and then put things to right.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard