for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
debug menu in ical?
#27398 11/14/13 10:39 PM
OP Offline

cust here really doesn't like the new ical. (who DOES?)

anyway I found links indicating an ical debug menu. it doesn't seem to work here. (10.8.5) Also the feature they REALLY want is to change the week view to 2 days. the hotkey (that supposedly doesn't require the debug menu to even be enabled) doesn't work either.

ULTIMATELY they'd like to have a day view that does NOT have the list of events, but instead uses the entire width for the colored bubbles of events. they use it to schedule four rooms here the whole day, and need that entire space, up to four events wide at a time, so the event list taking up a mandatory (can't drag a splitter!) half of the display isn't wanted.

solutions? suggestions?

Last edited by cyn; 11/15/13 08:04 AM. Reason: Topic moved from "Mac OS X System" to the "Mac OS X Applications" forum.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: debug menu in ical?
Virtual1 #27399 11/14/13 11:53 PM

defaults write com.apple.ical "last calendar view description" "2-day"

will get you a 2-day view on the next launch (btw, in 10.8 it's Calendar, not iCal), but if you change to a different view, there's no getting back to the 2-day view without quitting the app and running the Terminal command again.

Seems like there should be a hidden pref to make that view stick, though, doesn't it?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27400 11/15/13 12:19 AM

Upon further googling:

defaults write com.apple.iCal "n days of week" 2

and

defaults write com.apple.iCal CalUIDebugDefaultDaysInWeekView 2

both work to make a persistent 2-day Week view. (Experimentation with other numbers produced some pretty buggy results.)

dkmarsh #27401 11/15/13 12:46 AM
OP Offline

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and see how it goes.

dkmarsh #27455 11/19/13 05:52 PM
OP Offline

neither works frown

switched to day view
quit ichat
defaults read com.apple.iCal "n days of week"
relaunch ichat
switch to week view
still shows 7 days

switched to day view
quit ichat
defaults read com.apple.iCal CalUIDebugDefaultDaysInWeekView

relaunch ichat
switch to week view
still shows 7 days

cat /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist | grep -A1 ProductVersion | tail -n1
<string>10.8.4</string>

cat /Applications/Calendar.app/Contents/version.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1648</string>
<key>ProjectName</key>
<string>iCal</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>1648000000000000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Virtual1 #27470 11/19/13 10:39 PM

Quote:
cat /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist | grep -A1 ProductVersion | tail -n1

Quote:
cat /Applications/Calendar.app/Contents/version.plist

My results from those commands were identical to yours. Maybe if you tried

defaults read com.apple.ical

we could compare other prefs?

dkmarsh #27486 11/20/13 04:26 PM
OP Offline

ok part of that was my fault. I was ssh'd in under a different account name. When I did those commands as her user, they worked, sort of. She DID get a two day view for week view, BUT it only shows monday and tuesday. Selecting any day of a week only shows monday and tuesday.

I was also unable to get the debug menu to enable

these are the commands I ran. I see some people are suggesting "2-day" and others "2".

defaults write com.apple.ical "last calendar view description" "2-day"
defaults write com.apple.iCal IncludeDebugMenu 1

I had to revert her back to 7 day for all of those because she needed something even if horizontally compressed.

What she could settle for is to get rid of the stuff on the left to give the week view more horizontal room. Any ideas on that front?

Virtual1 #27487 11/20/13 06:09 PM

The debug menu appears to be a thing of the past, as of Mavericks.

To change which two days are displayed, you need to go to Calendar's prefs->General tab and change the day in the Start week on pop-up menu. For some reason, this often slides what's displayed back to the previous week, but it's easy enough to click the right arrow next to the Today button in the main Calendar window to advance to the current (or future) week. Don't know if your client would find the two-day display worth the daily tweaking, though.

As for the stuff on the left, I don't have anything other than the two days displayed. Clicking the Calendar button toggles the sidebar on and off. What other stuff, if any, are you seeing?

dkmarsh #27549 11/26/13 06:06 PM
OP Offline

MAJOR problem.

We didn't get the behavior we wanted, so switched (most I assume) of it back.

Now it's doing something new. They use "all day" events sometimes, and the computer I was working on now does not display them. The "All Day" shows up at the top of day view, but none of the all-day events are shown. When adding a new one, when you close the edit box it disappears.

The all-day events show up fine on the other 6 computers that are subscribed to the calendars. All Day also shows up in week view, but again empty. I need to get that back the way it was, she needs to be able to see all-day events.

Virtual1 #27566 11/27/13 07:12 PM

I'd suggest the old standby remedy of moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist to the Desktop and relaunching Calendar. In my case, that restored the default display parameters without affecting actual calendar content, which I believe is all maintained in ~/Library/Calendars/, but just to be safe, I wouldn't trash the plist until confirming that everything is as it should be.

dkmarsh #27567 11/27/13 07:20 PM
OP Offline

I just went in and downloaded their ical plist and another from a machine subscribed in the same office and used bbedit to diff the two (after converting to xml) and reverted hers back to like the others.

She has a complex set of calendars, subscriptions, and publishing that I didn't dare nuke it and try to start over. Their entire business revolves around that scheduling.

All is well again, or at least it's back to how it was. She'd love a solution to her day view still though.

can't win 'em all. but thanks for the suggestions.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard