Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I'm...sorry.
#2381 08/29/09 04:27 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Scince being labelled a "spammer" by cyn and i'm clearly not, I've made up my mind. I f anyone of you want me to leave, I will. I'm sorry all. just don't ban me. I might come back. I'll probably hang around a lot, just not post much. frown Again, I'm sorry.

Re: I'm...sorry.
PChaterosx #2382 08/29/09 04:30 PM

As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to stay. How old are you? Maybe 12? I'm sure that cyn has enough compassion to give a kid some slack. shocked

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #2383 08/29/09 04:34 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

You're right. I am 12. I've got ADD and I obsess over things. the reason why is that Garbage has helped me get through so many hard things in my life, I can't even count. That's why I post so much about Garbage. But This post just broke me.

PChaterosx #2386 08/29/09 05:36 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

My state of rage is over, people.

PChaterosx #2395 08/29/09 06:48 PM

PChatperson,

It's hard to know what to say without sounding dismissive or cruel. Maybe that's why not many people reply to you here, because they just don't know what to say to you, or because they have never heard of your music, and it seems an unlikely thing to try to discuss on a technical forum?

FWIW AFAIK we're all adults here who've been around forums for years. People appear on messageboards all the time claiming to be very young or very old, to be on the verge of suicide or very ill, to have this that and the other "interesting" things about them, to attract attention and gain sympathy. You could be exactly as you say you are - about 12 years old with ADHD, in which case, how's the medication going? You could, OTOH, be a middleaged loner/loser with nothing better to do than to pretend to be an obsessive 12yr old. I'm sorry, but I for one have seen it all before, elsewhere.

Cyn can delete this if she wants but I suspect that somehow I'm saying what others might be thinking. I'm not a nasty person, I've just been on many forums for years and that makes me kinda cynical. frown

If I've got this all wrong then I apologise to PChatperson, but we'll never know, will we?

Bensheim #2396 08/29/09 07:05 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
PChatperson,

It's hard to know what to say without sounding dismissive or cruel. Maybe that's why not many people reply to you here, because they just don't know what to say to you, or because they have never heard of your music, and it seems an unlikely thing to try to discuss on a technical forum?

FWIW AFAIK we're all adults here who've been around forums for years. People appear on messageboards all the time claiming to be very young or very old, to be on the verge of suicide or very ill, to have this that and the other "interesting" things about them, to attract attention and gain sympathy. You could be exactly as you say you are - about 12 years old with ADHD, in which case, how's the medication going? You could, OTOH, be a middleaged loner/loser with nothing better to do than to pretend to be an obsessive 12yr old. I'm sorry, but I for one have seen it all before, elsewhere.

Cyn can delete this if she wants but I suspect that somehow I'm saying what others might be thinking. I'm not a nasty person, I've just been on many forums for years and that makes me kinda cynical. frown

If I've got this all wrong then I apologise to PChatperson, but we'll never know, will we?
Of COURSE I'm who I say I am. I'm not that kind of person who lies to people like that. About the medication, not so well. it doesn't work, but I'd rather not talk about that.

PChaterosx #2427 08/30/09 09:16 AM

> Jeez, people, I'm only in 7th grade!

Maybe that's the real issue here, PChaterosx; you're only 12 (and I do believe that), and the rest of us are grown-ups who might be interested in Garbage to a degree but don't necessarily want to deal with your obsession.

Do your folks take as much interest in your music as you'd like us to? (In the same vein, you've posted that a Sims forum has given you grief over Garbage, too.)

There are no rules that limit who may post here, and only limited restrictions on what may be posted, but you must realize that troubleshooting is what FTM is all about (It's why you came here in the first place, isn't it?), and everything else is, well, just something else that may or may not be of interest to the general FTM community (which you have been, but should not be, treating as your personal audience).

So how about you get back to basics and let us know whether you've had any luck with the Apple Hardware Disc I suggested you burn as well as whether/how the "Genius" has been able to help your PowerBook.

And if you really want to obsess over Garbage, why don't you visit Bloger and start your own blog and develop your own audience?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #2529 08/31/09 11:20 AM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Ok, I made one. It's called: My Soul Belongs to GARBAGE!!

PChaterosx #2530 08/31/09 11:45 AM

> Ok, I made one. It's called: My Soul Belongs to GARBAGE!!

OK... Good start!

Now you've got find an audience for you blog... Get the word out by linking to it in your sig here and in other forums, and e-mail everybody in your address book, and let them know what it is and where it is.

If people like what you've done they'll not only visit your blog, they'll contribute to it, and instead of hijacking an audience you'll develop your own and learn some stuff and feel good about yourself in the process.

Good luck! smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #2670 09/01/09 09:07 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

"hijacking" was not my intention, Artie. I guess I just got a little too carried away. But, no worries! Garbage Message board is my home for all things Garbage now. anyway, here's the link to my blog.

artie505 #2671 09/01/09 09:14 PM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505

Do your folks take as much interest in your music as you'd like us to?

No. my dad does not. frown

PChaterosx #2693 09/02/09 04:18 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

When you say you're sorry and that hijacking wasn't your intention...and then you turn around and add 2 more Garbage lines to your signature so you now have 4, and you make a Garbage post in someone else's thread...after being told to stop posting about Garbage/Manson and that 2 Garbage/Manson references in your sig is more than enough...well, your credibility takes a severe hit.

I pulled your reply from the "We need a description for the FineTunedMac Lounge!" thread. You need to choose 2 Garbage/Manson mentions for your sig and remove the others.

I gave you another chance and let this thread continue even though you brought up Garbage again. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and stop pushing before my patience runs out completely.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #2696 09/02/09 05:04 AM

Cyn, I really think you need to loosen your reigns a bit and just not worry so much over things. A few off-topic posts in a off-topic board shouldn't really be bothering you as much as it seems to be. A little flexibility will result in less problems for you to deal with. If someone is violating a specific rule (are any even defined yet?) then inform them in a polite manner and things would be fine. But going after a 12 year old (no offense PChaterOSX) that's not really been that problematic seems a bit much too me, and will likely cause her not to want to return in the future due to the aggressive responses.

FYI, I might have sent a message like this as a private message, but apparently you believe all messages should be public. Would PMs really be that big of a deal?

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #2697 09/02/09 06:16 AM

I agree with Kevin. This is not about spam after all.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
PChaterosx #2699 09/02/09 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
Originally Posted By: artie505

Do your folks take as much interest in your music as you'd like us to?

No. my dad does not. frown

And so it goes; you should have seen the look on my dad's face the first time he heard Elvis sing "Heartbreak Hotel." frown

cyn #2706 09/02/09 11:21 AM
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

cyn, Why are you being so agressive twoards me? I'm only 12! I was just triying to link to my blog like Artie told me to. If you keep doing this, I don't wanna come back! Thank you, Kevin for your support.

macnerd10 #2715 09/02/09 12:39 PM

Yes, Kevin and Alex, I'm with you.

artie505 #2724 09/02/09 02:44 PM

Quote:
And so it goes; you should have seen the look on my dad's face the first time he heard Elvis sing "Heartbreak Hotel."

Was it something like this? (Watch the first 60 sec)

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
PChaterosx #2725 09/02/09 03:01 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Here's my perspective:

I tried a hint and that didn't work.

So, then I directly said "It's past time to stop posting about Garbage/Manson and related subjects."

You responded with a few replies and an additional line about Garbage/Manson in your sig. So I tried to be more explicit, told you no more Garbage posts and 2 references in your sig is enough. You made a few more replies, always mentioning Garbage, then the next day started this "I'm...sorry." thread.

Couple of people replied to you, trying to give you some insight and pointers. I thought..well, PChaterosx is still talking about Garbage, but it's all in one thread and the blog idea could be helpful...maybe this will all work out ok.

Then you add more Garbage stuff to your sig (instead of replacing one of the references you already had with a link to your blog) and bring up Garbage in a sarcastic reply in another thread.

I step in again, adding some detail, trying to make you aware of what I'm seeing and my reaction to it. You don't fix your sig, but ask why I'm being aggressive toward you.

From where I sit it looks like you're taking advantage of every little opening you can find to continue doing what you've repeatedly been asked to stop. To me that's aggressive behavior, and I'm tired of it.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #2726 09/02/09 03:38 PM

Cyn,

This is so BAD for FTM's public relations image! Public persona, official voice of this forum!

She says she's only 12 years old and has ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder), seems completely harmless and is bothering no one here except you.

Since all the references to Garbage in her signature irritate you so much, why don't you just go into her Profile and remove them yourself? Administrators have these powers, surely? They certainly do on other forums run on other software.

PChaterosx is not being "aggressive" towards you, she's just being a kid, and a very young one at that. I've seen very aggressive people on boards many many times, cyn, and she is not one of them, she wouldn't even get to first base with some of the real pricks I've encountered down the years - haven't you?

Also, bear in mind that PChatperson can't even delete her membership here - none of us can. (Another thing which members cannot do, in addition to deleting their own posts, sending private messages, or apparently getting someone with Admin powers to set up a General Purpose board for non-technical subjects no matter how politely they are asked to so do.)

I'm getting fed up with all this. I'll probably reappear at some point in the future if I have a Mac technical query which I can't resolve from all the other free resources already out there on the internet - and from places where members are not treated like schoolchildren who have to be drilled into line or else. Even if only one of them is a schoolchild!

Cheers

Bensheim #2729 09/02/09 04:01 PM

C'mon Ben, cut the mods some slack. Demanding the admins make enhancements or you'll leave is unacceptable. If you really don't want to be here, nobody's stopping you. Buh-bye!

Ladies & gentlemen, if you want FTM to disappear as quickly as it got here, you're going about it the right way: keep attacking the good folks like Cyn. If you want to contact Cyn privately, her email address is right here: http://www.finetunedmac.com/contact.html

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #2732 09/02/09 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: donikatz
C'mon Ben, cut the mods some slack. Demanding the admins make enhancements or you'll leave is unacceptable. If you really don't want to be here, nobody's stopping you. Buh-bye!

Ladies & gentlemen, if you want FTM to disappear as quickly as it got here, you're going about it the right way: keep attacking the good folks like Cyn. If you want to contact Cyn privately, her email address is right here: http://www.finetunedmac.com/contact.html

Bravo!

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
PChaterosx #2733 09/02/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
I don't wanna come back

PChaterosx:

Allow an old horse who's been around the track a couple of times to offer some thoughts.

I followed the various Garbage conversations but didn't jump in because, well, I wouldn't know Shirley Manson if she bit me on the leg. It doesn't mean she's good, or bad, just that I don't know much about her. I was, however, impressed with the number of people in the Lounge who took time to discuss your topic.

However the topic was music and, like any conversation on music or performers, eventually the subject is fully covered, or there is disagreement, and it's time to move on. Music is one of those very personal things where everyone has their own idea about what or who is good. (Look at what artie505 said about his Dad hearing Elvis.)

I really liked the earlier advice artie gave you - to get a blog started where you can talk about Garbage with a lot of people who know much more about it than the folks in the Lounge. That's the best place to continue your topic.

The end of the Garbage discussion was a natural event that happens with any topic in the lounge. It's also one of the things that makes the Lounge interesting - topics come to an end but there's always something new to talk about and there are a lot of knowledgeable people who expand on the topics.

Here's an idea. Look through your local paper each day this week and see if you can find something that moves you - makes you laugh, aggravates you, saddens you, makes you wonder.....it's up to you. Then prepare a new topic including your opinion of the thing that moved you.

The topic could fall flat (that happens sometimes), or it might take some twist and turns you hadn't imagined. You could end up being the best informed kid in grade 7.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/02/09 04:19 PM. Reason: Better wording

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
cyn #2737 09/02/09 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: cyn
Here's my perspective:

I tried a hint and that didn't work.

It looked more like you were voicing a personal opinion instead taking some sort of administrative action. Admins should not be hinting, they should be making clear statements based on the rules.

So, then I directly said "It's past time to stop posting about Garbage/Manson and related subjects."

Currently there's nothing defining what's acceptable in the lounge, so why kibosh something that was having some discussion. It shouldn't matter or be bothersome. Just don't read the thread. If she's inserting Garbage in to unrelated threads, then I do agree that shouldn't happen.

You responded with a few replies and an additional line about Garbage/Manson in your sig. So I tried to be more explicit, told you no more Garbage posts and 2 references in your sig is enough.

Do we have rules stating what should or should not be in someone's signature yet? If the signature is too large, then state that. If the content in the signature is officially not allowed, then state that. Your responses come off as just "I don't want Garbage in her sig" which is what seems a bit off.

You don't fix your sig, but ask why I'm being aggressive toward you.

From where I sit it looks like you're taking advantage of every little opening you can find to continue doing what you've repeatedly been asked to stop. To me that's aggressive behavior, and I'm tired of it.

You need to clearly state the reasons behind the requests to remove or change things based on the rules, otherwise it just looks like you're trying to impose your personal opinions on a user for no other reason than you find the discussion of Garbage distasteful.

Again, I recommend just step back a little and think is this really that big of a deal that you need to be worrying about when there's much more important stuff going on.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #2740 09/02/09 06:07 PM

Bravo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard