Print Thread
Internet radio recorder?
#27006 10/07/13 01:48 PM
Aflen Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned

Hello,
How can I record a concert from internet radio?

Re: Internet radio recorder?
Aflen #27007 10/07/13 02:20 PM

App Store catalogs a large number of apps that can record various Mac audio sources. Audio Hijack Pro is not available through the App Store, but it is probably the oldest and most widely recognized application for audio capture on the Mac and is capable of capturing virtually any source.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Aflen #27010 10/07/13 03:11 PM

I'm a long-time, very satisfied user of Audio Hijack Pro, and I recommend it highly, but be aware that you may want, even need, a wave editor to go along with it. I use AHP's companion app Fission. They can be purchased for $32 each or $50 for the pair.

I believe, though, that I remember seeing similar apps that are either cheaper or free, so do your research.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Aflen #27013 10/07/13 04:21 PM

Also for all-in-one record, edit and play check out WireTap Studio.

This software can also do timed and delayed start recordings, useful if you are not around when the broadcast is happening.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Aflen #27014 10/07/13 04:27 PM

While I also own a copy of Audio Hijack Pro, I have gotten used to Wiretap Studio, which can both record and edit. I prefer the source selection of Wiretap over Audio Hijack, although the latter works well enough. I frequently use WS in conjunction with FStream, a freeware internet radio player available for both Mac OS X and iOS. The iOS version has a so-called web module, allowing you to edit your radio stations on your Mac, and sync them to your iPod/iPhone. FStream also has recording capability (wav/aiff only), which I occasionally use on iDevices. FStream's web module is then used to get the recordings off the iDevice, but you'd need a separate editor to tinker with it or convert it to another format.

alternaut moderator
Aflen #27015 10/07/13 07:48 PM

I just took a look at WireTap Studio...
  1. The currently available version requires OS X 10.7 or higher, and there doesn't seem to be a 10.6.8 compatible version available.
  2. It's pretty pricey @ $69.
  3. Quote:
    Note: Per-application recording is not yet available on MacOS X 10.7 or later. We're working on it!
    Using WireTap Studio, you can record all system audio, or record audio input from any microphone, line-in, or audio input hardware.

That sounds like you cannot record a stream from a browser (Edit: or through iTunes), which may be your intention, at the moment.
I'll also mention that, like WireTap Studio, Audio Hijack Pro has timer capability, but unlike it, the currently available version can record from apps.

Last edited by artie505; 10/07/13 07:50 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #27019 10/07/13 09:58 PM

Good call on the per-application recording not yet being available in the current Lion (and up) version. I use an older version (1.1.1) on a PPC iMac running Leopard, and that version can record per app. The ease of selecting those (via a pulldown menu) is one of the things I like about WS. Surprising that it wasn't implemented immediately in the Lion version.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #27020 10/07/13 10:08 PM

> Surprising that it wasn't implemented immediately in the Lion version.

I wonder what the complication is?

I very much like WS's preview formats/bit-rates and change formats on the fly capabilities (despite its being major overkill for my purposes). Can it import in Apple Lossless, my preferred, format, as can AHP? (Running 10.6.8, I'm unable to d/l a functional version to find out for myself.)

artie505 #27022 10/07/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Could be it's a sandboxing issue; if the individual apps in question are sandboxed, then WireTap Studio may not be able to access their audio output.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27023 10/07/13 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

Could be it's a sandboxing issue; if the individual apps in question are sandboxed, then WireTap Studio may not be able to access their audio output.

Good thought, but on the other hand, sandboxing hasn't slowed Audio Hijack Pro down, and AHP presumably accesses the same apps (I've got no way to investigate.), but...perhaps not in the same manner. Would that make a difference?

Edit: Silly question, I presume?

Last edited by artie505; 10/08/13 12:41 AM.

artie505 #27024 10/08/13 01:28 AM

It may be that Rogue Amoeba was much better equipped to retool Audio Hijack Pro than Ambrosia was to retool WireTap Studio, once the need to handle sandboxed apps became an issue.

According to the Release Notes for Audio Hijack Pro 2.10.1, "full support for capturing audio from sandboxed applications from the Mac App Store" via the separately-installed component "Instant On" was available before the App Store sandboxing requirement took effect.

Ambrosia Software, meanwhile, appears to have fallen on hard times.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #27028 10/08/13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

Good thought, but on the other hand, sandboxing hasn't slowed Audio Hijack Pro down, and AHP presumably accesses the same apps (I've got no way to investigate.), but...perhaps not in the same manner. Would that make a difference?

Edit: Silly question, I presume?

Here is a "why" from Ambrosia Software, the developer of WTS and WireTap Anywhere:

"The current version of WireTap Anywhere is not compatible with Mac OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8. Apple has made many changes in the way that audio is handled on the Mac beginning with OS X Lion, 10.7. The technology that WireTap Anywhere relied on was deprecated before Apple had a replacement ready. Unfortunately Apple's replacement technology is a lot more restrictive than we had anticipated. We will know more once per-application recording is restored in WireTap Studio, as that will give us a better idea of what lies ahead. We do not have any further information or expected dates for potential fixes at this time."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard