for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How I resolved my spam problem
#26920 09/28/13 02:58 PM
OP Offline

Perhaps of use to those who spend too much time/effort managing spam…

I am a most satisfied user of SpamSieve (only rarely do I get false positives). That app, uses a Bayesian algorithm plus some other magic to determine which incoming emails are spam, and then consigns them to the Spam folder. It even color-codes them according to how "spammy" they appear to be.

But the contents of the Spam folder still must be manually sent to the trash. Ergo, my choices: 1) individually dragging the emails to the trash, or 2) “selecting all” and dragging them to the trash. But this later option opens the email and thus affirms (to the offending miscreant) the validity of my email address.

Fortunately, SpamSieve also makes a Script that deletes the contents of the Spam folder. And that works as designed. But, it requires one to 1) launch the script and then 2) click on the Run button. Not a big deal, but I was wondering if I could streamline the process even further by adding a keyboard shortcut to the process. And voilà, Shortcuts to the rescue. Now, the contents of my Spam folder are deleted with a (user-defined) shortcut.

In sum:
1. SpamSieve sends spam to the Spam folder
2. I review and confirm that the contents are all spam
3. I execute the shortcut activating the Delete Script

And all is again, right with the world.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: How I resolved my spam problem
Pendragon #26939 09/30/13 04:08 PM

To clarify, are you also using Apple Mail?

Could you add the script to the Scripts menu (i.e., place it in the Scripts folder) in Mail?

I too am a very satisfied long-time user of SpamSieve.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: How I resolved my spam problem
Ira L #26940 09/30/13 04:29 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
To clarify, are you also using Apple Mail?

Could you add the script to the Scripts menu (i.e., place it in the Scripts folder) in Mail?

I too am a very satisfied long-time user of SpamSieve.

Yes, Ira, I am using Apple Mail.

Re the placement of the Script, I did not have (all) the necessary folders (~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail) so I had to first make 2 of them (Applications & Mail) and then put them in the suggested locations.

Once that was done, I merely copied the compiled script to the end location.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard