for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Upgrading iOS, OTA or Wired?
#26670 09/09/13 07:07 PM
OP Offline

What say you? Any advantages/disadvantages to either approach? (My DL speeds are nearly identical.)

While going the wired route seems better (to me), what I presume to be intuitive, just ain't always that way…

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Upgrading iOS, OTA or Wired?
Pendragon #26684 09/10/13 03:58 PM

If by "wired" you mean downloading via iTunes with the iDevice connected to your Mac, then I believe you will retain a copy of the downloaded iOS on your Mac.

Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage is up to you. wink

P.S.--If you have multiple same iDevices that you want to update, then this could be an advantage; the time to download on each is avoided.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #26685 09/10/13 04:15 PM
OP Offline

That's exactly the kind of info I was seeking. Bravo.

Many thanks, Ira!

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #26739 09/16/13 07:40 PM

"wired where you can, wireless where you can't" has always been my advice.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #26744 09/16/13 08:18 PM
OP Offline

V1,

That's what I would have thought, but if the DL remains on my phone, even after installation, then I see the wisdom of what Ira says.

Have you additional thoughts in that regard?

Harv

Virtual1 #26745 09/16/13 08:32 PM

The one potential gotcha is that OTA wireless updates are usually delta updates (you transfer only the parts of iOS that have changed), whereas wired updates are full fat updates (they contain a full install of the entire OS), and so wired updates are bigger.

That won't be the case with iOS 7, where the whole operating system is going to be updated regardless. But I remember when iOS 6.1.3 was released, the OTA update was tiny, and the wired update was huge.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #26747 09/17/13 02:52 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Tacit.

I presume the fat/combo updates offer the same advantage with the iOS as they do with the OS. But is that a reasonable presumption?

Or, is this just another example of what I hold to be true, really ain't?

And of course, any tips on deleting the installed iOS once its done doing its thing will be most appreciated.

Harv

Virtual1 #26748 09/17/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
"wired where you can, wireless where you can't" has always been my advice.

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that 4G LTE is often faster than wireless for downloading.

Depending on your data plan, there could be costs associated with LTE downloads (i.e., how many "free" GB's do you have?)

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Pendragon #26754 09/18/13 03:30 AM

The same delta vs. fat installs apply to iOS as to Mac OS, in the sense that the delta contains only changed files (so if there is some other operating system damage/corruption, the delta won't fix it) whereas the full fat install replaces all OS-related files (so it can repair a damaged install).

I'm not sure how o delete the full version from iTunes if you download it on a Mac.

tacit #26762 09/18/13 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Tacit
I'm not sure how o delete the full version from iTunes if you download it on a Mac.

All the iTunes App downloads are found in the user's ?Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications with a .ipa extension so I would assume the iOS updates would be there as well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #26764 09/18/13 06:26 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Tacit

All the iTunes App downloads are found in the user's ?Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications with a .ipa extension so I would assume the iOS updates would be there as well.

I just installed iOS 7 via iTunes. I know I started the process at exactly 12 noon, but could find no files in the suggested folder with a time after noon. Thus, I wonder if the file is deleted when done, much as it is with OS X.

Harv

Ira L #26912 09/27/13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
If by "wired" you mean downloading via iTunes with the iDevice connected to your Mac, then I believe you will retain a copy of the downloaded iOS on your Mac.

P.S.--If you have multiple same iDevices that you want to update, then this could be an advantage; the time to download on each is avoided.

There must be a simple or obvious answer to this but what passes for my brain can't work it out. I just did my iPhone iOS 7 update via iTunes and then repeated it for the iPad. Two gigabyte updates which put quite a dent in my download allocation.

Before I do the iOS 7.0.2 update (although this appears to be smaller), can you tell me how to get at the downloaded copy stored on the Mac from the first device so I can then update the other device without further impacting my limit?

andycap #26914 09/28/13 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: andycap
Before I do the iOS 7.0.2 update [...], can you tell me how to get at the downloaded copy stored on the Mac from the first device so I can then update the other device without further impacting my limit?

Your plan to keep a copy of iOS or the updater(s) around is a good one. Unfortunately, the various model iDevices each have their own and different iOS versions and updaters, so using the iPad version for the iPhone (or the other way around) won't fly. See Download iOS Updates Once for Installing on Multiple Devices for details.

alternaut moderator
andycap #26925 09/29/13 02:57 AM

Yep, I went through the same thing.

The iPad and the iPhone are very different devices under the hood, with different processors and different hardware. iOS for the iPad won't work on an iPhone and vice versa. I noticed that iOS 7 was a huge download for both my iPad and my iPhone, but once I had downloaded it, I didn't need to download it again to upgrade my girlfriend's iPhone.

alternaut #26929 09/29/13 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut

Wow, thanks for the link! I'll check if my daughter now has a 4s like me (amazingly, or perhaps not, she loses her phone so often that it's hard to keep track - heh heh!) and give it a go.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard