FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Picasa
#26802 09/23/13 11:58 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

A friend uploaded some travel photos to Picasa and sent us a link. The site told us to download the Picasa app. I have read several positive comments about it but I don't trust Google (the parent of Picasa). Does anyone have experience with this app? I generally don't download anything that I don't know about and Google has a reputation for being less than concerned about one's privacy.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Picasa
jchuzi #26803 09/23/13 01:58 PM

Follow your gut on this one. You've already glimpsed the future.

Remember: Pi casa, su casa. smirk

jchuzi #26804 09/23/13 04:51 PM

To view Picasa online albums, all you need is a web browser and the albums' URLs. The Picasa desktop photo editing app for Mac OS X is used to compose and upload albums to the Picasa web album site. I have used the Picasa app a few times, and it works well. Possibly because of my experience with other image processing apps, I found its user interface and work flow quirky at times, but you'll get used to that pretty quickly. The app starts its work by cataloging image files (JPEG, GIF, BMP, PSD, and movie files) on your Mac, making it easy to pick those you want to put in a web album.

Once selected, there are some image editing tools available for your perusal, and you can add captions and music to your images, organize them and and upload the album with various compression settings. The editing and compression tools are optional, i.e., you can use your preferred alternatives if you want them at all. Finally, you can set access privileges via the URLs you send to prospective viewers. You get a reasonable but limited amount of storage space for free, and can buy additional space if needed. I cannot say anything about what Google might do with your images, but it's safe to say you lose control over them once they are online. More reviews HERE.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #26806 09/23/13 05:45 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: alternaut
To view Picasa online albums, all you need is a web browser and the albums' URLs.
Thanks for that. I have no need of the app itself. The email that our friend sent did not have any links to the albums. I'll have to contact him.

Originally Posted By: grelber
Follow your gut on this one. You've already glimpsed the future.
I'll definitely follow my gut. I won't be installing Picasa.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #26808 09/23/13 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
- A friend uploaded some travel photos to Picasa and sent us a link.
- The email that our friend sent did not have any links to the albums.

That may be due to one of the quirks I referred to above. Obviously, I don't know exactly what link your friend sent, but he may have copied the URL from his Picasa web page when he was still logged in and working on the album. In the hands of someone else (not logged in), such URLs may revert to that of the standard Picasa Web Album start page (which shows that download button). Depending on how restrictive he wants them to be, the Picasa desktop app will offer several options for links your friend can send to others. He should pick an appropriate one from those, but he can still change it online after the upload.

Once the album has been uploaded, that choice will be reflected at the top right of his Picasa web album page, next to a thumbnail of the first slide, together with the album name, date, number of images and album size. That current status is followed by an Edit button to change the link selection ('Public', 'Limited-anyone with link', or 'Only you'). An inch or 2 below that, there is a 'Link to this album' button, which will list the corresponding URL that can be copied to an email. It's not unlike using Google Maps to wind your way to a particular place and copying the (generic) URL instead of using the link button to get the URL of the present location.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #26810 09/23/13 11:09 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

The link is http://picasa.google.com/ If you try it, you'll see that there is no provision for finding a specific album. I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him about this.

Jon

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard