for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hovering over links...no tooltip
#26641 09/07/13 10:37 PM
OP Online

If I hover over a link in a TextEdit doc or e-mail I get a tooltip, but in Safari 5.1.9, no tooltips.

I've disabled Extensions with no joy, and there doesn't seem to be anything in Safari's prefs that's applicable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I first noticed the problem after "hovering" was mentioned in this thread.

Edit 2: I just noticed that I'm getting tooltips on the FTM home page from links to latest posts, but not from links to threads, but none on any "deeper" pages, and experimenting with eBay yielded erratic results...some tooltips, many no-tooltips on the same page. (Links to eBay item pages yield tooltips, but tracking #s do not, but I'm not certain that's not by some sort of design.) Similarly, I do not get tooltips on either MacUpdate or MacFixIt

Last edited by artie505; 09/07/13 11:22 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Hovering over links...no tooltip
artie505 #26642 09/07/13 11:07 PM

No tooltips here in Safari 6.1, either, but since I use Safari's status bar to view link targets, I can't say for sure whether or not that's always been the case.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #26643 09/07/13 11:28 PM
OP Online

Thanks.

I just edited my post and added some interesting info.

I wonder whether it's related to the version of OS X alternaut is running? He's mentioned a 21" iMac 2005 running Leopard, an early 2008 MBP running Snowy, and the latest top of the line 27"iMac running Mountain Lion, but didn't specify which one(s) yielded the tooltips.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #26647 09/08/13 12:24 AM

Well, I can't speak for alternaut, but my assumption was that he was referring to the appearance of target URLs in Safari's status bar when hovering over links, not to their appearance as tool tips.

On reflection, I believe that the appearance of tool tips within a browser window's web content is invoked by javascript in the page's source code.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #26648 09/08/13 12:36 AM
OP Online

> On reflection, I believe that the appearance of tool tips within a browser window's web content is invoked by javascript in the page's source code.

That could explain the "erratic" appearance of tooltips I've experienced.

dkmarsh #26649 09/08/13 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Well, I can't speak for alternaut, but my assumption was that he was referring to the appearance of target URLs in Safari's status bar when hovering over links, not to their appearance as tool tips.

Correct. laugh

alternaut moderator
alternaut #26650 09/08/13 01:36 AM
OP Online

In that case, I guess my question is answered. (I work without a status bar and would never have guessed alternaut's intent.)

Thanks guys.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard