FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OS 10.9 Beta Tester
#26409 08/09/13 11:11 PM
Douglas Online OP
OP Online

Any Beta Testers know if Quicken 2007 for Mac will run on Mavericks?

Re: OS 10.9 Beta Tester
Douglas #26410 08/09/13 11:19 PM

Beta testers have a very strict and tightly enforced non-disclosure agreements with Apple. So you are unlikely to get a response from anyone with a legitimate copy of Maverick. Besides that, until Maverick goes golden not even Apple can tell unequivocally whether or not a given third party application will or will not work. Last minute changes can make the difference.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Douglas #26415 08/10/13 01:23 PM

What really steams me is that Bill Campbell is STILL on the Apple board of directors. The Chairman of the Board of Intuit is on Apple's board and he killed Quicken for the Mac. I waited forever to upgrade to Snow Leopard until the Intel version of Quicken 2007 was grudgingly released.

And as we all know, most Quicken 2007 users consider Quicken Essentials to be a cruel joke on the Mac.

Last edited by Larry; 08/10/13 01:27 PM.
Larry #26416 08/10/13 02:06 PM
Douglas Online OP
OP Online

Totally agree, Larry. I need to upgrade to a new computer, and was going to wait until Mavericks came out and hoping it will run Quicken 2007. I also agree that Essentials is a piece of c**p. If Mavericks does not run Quicken 2007 I guess I will shop around and find a new mini with ML.

Douglas #26417 08/10/13 02:42 PM

Quicken support of the Mac has always been hap hazard even to the point of incompatibility of data files between Mac versions and a chronic data incompatibility between Quicken for Mac and Quicken for PC. At one point several years ago, Quicken was about the only credible checkbook/accounting product for the Mac, but that is not the case today. The App Store catalogs a number of products under the heading of "accounting", "Checkbook", or "Finance" and ranging from the ver simplest of checkbook accounting systems to full blown double entry accounting systems. Some of these even do a pretty fair job of importing Quicken files so you don't have to start from scratch.

The point is, why beat the Quicken horse to death and limit system growth in other areas when there are applications such as Account Edge, iBank, Moneydance and 60 or 70 other well supported fully Mac compatible applications that can take its place. Granted there will be a learning curve, but better that now than waiting until there is no other option. To me the hardest part of switching would be choosing among all of the possible alternatives.

By-the-way, some of these apps have iOS versions so your financial data is available on your iPhone and iPad as well as your Mac.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/10/13 02:46 PM. Reason: add iOS comment

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #26421 08/10/13 06:15 PM
Douglas Online OP
OP Online

My problem is that I have Quicken files back to 1996 for my business and all of those are usable, openable, in Quicken 2007. That is not the case for other products as I've tried most of them.

Douglas #26423 08/10/13 06:57 PM

That is a problem. As much as I hate to say this, I suspect you are going to be faced with conversion/upgrading sooner rather than later and the size of the conversion task is only going to get larger. I would suggest you considering the purchase of a Windows machine, but there are Quicken data file compatibility issues between the Mac and PC versions of Quicken which could easily put you right back where you started. crazy

— Albert Einstein
Douglas #26427 08/11/13 10:21 PM

Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible is a re-engineered version of Quicken Mac 2007 that will work on OS X 10.7 (Lion). Not sure what operating system you're own, but since this update for 2007 came out, I have no problem running Quicken 2007 on Lion and Mountain Lion. I think it cost $12.00 to upgrade. Don't know if it will run on Maverick.

MarkG #26485 08/20/13 10:49 PM

are there any usable alternatives (if even only in partial form) for the mac?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #26499 08/21/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
are there any usable alternatives (if even only in partial form) for the mac?

I depends on what you call usable. Moneydance has a UI that is the most like Quicken of the applications I have seen. It is written in Java and runs on OS X, iOS, Windows, and Unix. iBank 4 runs on OS X and iOS and has a more graphics oriented UI. Either supports all the major banking and investing functions including support for online banking through a large number of financial institutions. Both support importing QIF (Quicken Interface Files) but when I have tried them, the transfer was not as complete as I would have liked and I ended up spending a LOT of time cleaning up the importation. There are any number of other alternatives but I have tried both of these with varying success.

Personally I have used Moneydance off and on for many years and I have found it to be quit reliable and well suited to my particular style of operation. Besides that it talks to all my financial institutions which really simplifies my accounting. There is nothing wrong with iBank, it does everything well but the last time I tried it did not talk to my bank. crazy

NOTE: While QIF is about as close to a universal financial file format available, not even Quicken can read all QIF files. Quicken changes the format from time to time and often the format varies between the Mac and Windows versions.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #26500 08/22/13 12:03 PM

When the Quicken debacle took place, I experimented with iBank. It had good reviews so I gave it a shot. I thought it was okay. Still think Quicken is better. I even tried Quicken Essentials and like part of it a lot, but still like Quicken better. Was much relieved when Intuit apologized to the Mac community and updated Quicken 2007 to work with Lion and Mountain Lion. So iBank is worth looking into. I feel I am missing something here as it was the Rosetta issue that was the hangup for Quicken and that was resolved with the new 2007 update that costs about $15.00. Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible site
http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

joemikeb #26501 08/22/13 12:30 PM

One other nice aspect of Moneydance, which I have used for quite a few years, is that it has an iOS (free) application. It also will wirelessly or via Dropbox synchronize amongst all of its applications. So an entry on one computer will appear on another. Enter a transaction on your iPad or iPhone and it will synch seamlessly with your iMac, laptop, etc.

Double encryption is used on all of this, even if you use Dropbox. Very efficient and very cool, if you ask me.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard